Do DOs get certified in Osteopathic manipulative medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellohelpwithfuture

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am only a pre-med but hopefully a future DO student! I was wondering do we get board certified in osteopathic manipulative medicine at some point in our career? Do we need certification?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

As a physician, you're licensed to practice medicine, first and foremost. If you do one of the handful of OMM/NMM residencies, you can take board certification exams for that specialty, like any other.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the pre-med forum, here. There's also a separate DO pre-med forum for specifics for that route.

Reactions: 1 users
No, you don't get board certified unless you choose to do your residency in OMM/NMM which is pretty useless to be honest. You can still use the OMM techniques you learn from school as a primary care physician (Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, OB/GYN) without being board certified in it.

You can use OMM as a DO as long as you are comfortable doing it. You don't have to have a special certification outside of your degree.

No, you don't get board certified unless you choose to do your residency in OMM/NMM which is pretty useless to be honest. You can still use the OMM techniques you learn from school as a primary care physician (Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Pediatrics, OB/GYN) without being board certified in it.
Can you bill for it though?

I sure hope that certification doesn’t get forced on us, I’ve done everything I can to separate myself from the DO world from day one lol

Can you bill for it though?

You can yes. I have friends pursuing PMR who will be incorporating it into their practice. Different strokes for different folks. I made it a point to forget any OMM as soon as i could.

Any DO can practice OMM if they feel okay incorporating it.
I've seen people do a combined Family Med+NMM residency (3+1). But I think NMM residency is mainly required if you plan to teach OMM

Reactions: 1 user