Do enzymes catalyze forward and reverse reactions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jnaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do enzymes catalyze forward and reverse reactions? From what I’ve read they do but that seems counter intuitive. Unless I'm reading it wrong... is it the same enzyme or are they saying there are enzymes that catalyze a certain forward reaction and a different enzyme that catalyzes its reverse reaction.

Members don't see this ad.

Do enzymes catalyze forward and reverse reactions? From what I've read they do but that seems counter intuitive. Unless I'm reading it wrong... is it the same enzyme or are they saying there are enzymes that catalyze a certain forward reaction and a different enzyme that catalyzes its reverse reaction.

i remember a question on qvault that I did a few days ago and yes they do catalyze forrward and back..

it means that one enzyme can catalyze a reaction in the forward and back direction. thats what qvault's explanation was...

Yes. Remember they lower the activation energy of the system. Can catalyze either the forward or reverse

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a few examples: ATP synthase can work in either direction and in glycolysis PFK/FBPase1 (called different names when working in either forward or reverse direction).

But I do not think all enzymes are reversible, for example, the steps for gluconeogenesis and glycolysis are not exactly the same and for each process there exist "irreversible steps."

Yes. All enzymes work the same way. They lower the activation energy. That means they will lower it for both forward and reverse reaction. It is like saying : if the distance from point A, to point B is 10 miles. So, it take 10 minutes ( going mile per minute) to get from A to B and B to A. If you shorten the distance from 10 miles to 7 miles, then it will take you 7 minutes going from A to B, or B to A.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk