Do high school grades influence MD/DO admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalifDo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNs,
I am a freshman doing Biology major, hoping to apply for MD/DO in four or five years if I get good GPA and MCAT scores. I have completed so many APs in high school, got good grades in all APs except Chemistry (B+) and Physics (C+). I have the option to skip Chemistry as I got 5 in AP test. Some of my friends in my school are skipping Chemistry. I want to get the expert opinion (@Goro and other experts) if there are any disadvantages in skipping chemistry because of my B and C grades in high school. When I submit my application for MD/DO, I was told that I have to submit my high school transcript if I do not take any mandatory courses (use APs to get the credits). I am planning to take Physics though I have the option to skip but I am debating on skipping Chemistry.

If you use any credits from high school to complete the graduation, do we need to submit the high school transcripts?
If yes, will there be any disadvantage with one B and one C in high school?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks @Goro for the quick response/suggestion.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only a freshman, but I'll share my own take/ experience on intro classes.

I am in a very similar position as you (didn't do as well in HS STEM classes because they were difficult, but good on the AP exams), but I still decided to take Intro Chem my first semester of university (for context, I attend a T20 institution per USNews). What I found was that this supposed weeder class at my university that is notorious for "grade deflating" isn't as bad with my past experiences with HS chem. In fact, I scored +1 SD on all my STEM midterms thus far. I think the main points in advocating to take intro classes even if you can pass out of them with AP credits is

1) easy A --> start off your college career with a high GPA
2) fill in the knowledge gaps from HS STEM classes and better prepare you for your upper division courses
3) get accustomed to your university's way of grading and classes in general

Reactions: 5 users
High school academics have zero impact on med school admissions. You could have been a 4.x 2400 SAT superstar in HS, but if you finish college with a <3.0 you will not get into any US medical school without reinvention.

This also means that you could’ve been a below average HS student, but if you do well in college and maintain solid ECs, your HS past will not affect whether or not you get into a US med school.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Use all the support that exists to help you in math and science class at your college to get a basic understanding of the material, and you will do fine. High school grades don't matter unless you are trying for an accelerated B/MD or similar track.

Last edited:
No grades from high school matter unless they were dual-enrollment, so in your case the answer to your question is no. With regard to retaking in college, I also entered college with several AP credits and I ultimately ended up retaking them for the exact reasons that @goldenpotato mentioned.

It ended up working out well for me because the classes were easy As and helped my overall GPA. Several As early on can help cushion your GPA for classes that often give people their first B or C (like orgo).

It's also worth considering that at least 90 semester hours must be completed at an accredited college/university for most medical schools...meaning AP courses cannot help fulfill that particular requirement.

Reactions: 3 users
I will repeat the advice that HS grades don't matter unless they were dual-enrollment (in which case you need to be aware that they will count for your overall GPA when you go to apply).

I also am a huge proponent of retaking pre-reqs even if you have AP credit. I have never, literally never heard someone say they regret repeating the intro course and taking an easy A. I have heard innumerable stories of go-getter freshmen who jumped straight to upper level courses and stumbling out of the gate, and thus starting in a GPA hole that becomes hard to overcome. The ONLY reason to consider is if you are really trying to graduate early, but again if med school is your endgame then I generally feel that slow and steady wins the race here.

Reactions: 2 users
I will repeat the advice that HS grades don't matter unless they were dual-enrollment (in which case you need to be aware that they will count for your overall GPA when you go to apply).

I also am a huge proponent of retaking pre-reqs even if you have AP credit. I have never, literally never heard someone say they regret repeating the intro course and taking an easy A. I have heard innumerable stories of go-getter freshmen who jumped straight to upper level courses and stumbling out of the gate, and thus starting in a GPA hole that becomes hard to overcome. The ONLY reason to consider is if you are really trying to graduate early, but again if med school is your endgame then I generally feel that slow and steady wins the race here.
I agree with @GoSpursGo here.
Use your AP credits to ask for college credit in things like History, Government, and English.
The college courses for chemistry, biology, and math will always be taught at a higher level with more material.

The last factor about this is: some med schools will not accept AP credit in place of the science prereqs of chemistry, organic chemistry, or physics. Biology classes in high school level will all be at the "Intro to..." level.

If skipping (in other words, not taking) Intro Chem means you can go directly into Organic Chem as a freshman, don't do it. I see that as a sure fire way to finish your first year of college in a demoralizing GPA hole.

Taking Chem even if you had AP credit is a good way to review the material and, perhaps, get an easy A. Win-win in my book.

Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Good to know that my high school grades are not going haunt me.

They definitely do. Be prepared to show your kindergarten drawings as well. Staying between the lines guarantees you a neurosurgery match.

• Haha
As someone who just graduated and used a lot of AP credit I want to share that I actually decided to retake Physics 1 as a a freshman even though I had a 5 for it. I was an engineering major and did not feel like I had a good enough grasp of physics to go on to high level classes. Beyond whether or not it will 'look bad' on the application, I would seriously think about how comfortable you are with the material. If you do not have a good grasp of intro chemistry, it will make future classes much more difficult. (I'm not saying you don't have a good understanding, just suggesting you think about it)

Reactions: 1 user