Do I ditch my champion look for dental school interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I keep the stash and burns for my interviews?

• Total voters

Panis et Circenses

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to my future peers and classmates.. I've got a few interviews coming down the pipeline and I'm stuck with this dilemma: I worked hard to grow out some killer sideburns and a sick stash, and it makes me look like a champion. However I don't know what the adcoms will think about it. I look basically like this guy in the picture below. What do you think, should I keep it?
ypRgxC.png

Members don't see this ad.

You can keep it if you groom your facial hair. A well kept beard can be the difference between looking like a man and a child. I personally shaved because my beard wasn't very full at the time but I have plenty of friends who refused to shave and they got in. Granted, I'm MED school but it's the same I would assume. Just don't have some nasty facial hair and you should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Man not much love for the facial hair in the poll right now. But until I get more votes, I might just have to chalk this one up as a sampling error. I also have to look at the population I'm sampling. Other pre-dents may be worried the look will give me a competitive advantage, so they are telling me to get it cut to help out their chances... I can't tell if your motives are altruism or ego-centrism...

Until then, how bout some more votes eh?

Reactions: 1 user
Man not much love for the facial hair in the poll right now. But until I get more votes, I might just have to chalk this one up as a sampling error. I also have to look at the population I'm sampling. Other pre-dents may be worried the look will give me a competitive advantage, so they are telling me to get it cut to help out their chances... I can't tell if your motives are altruism or ego-centrism...

Until then, how bout some more votes eh?

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
You make a poll, then you question the outcome when it doesn't align with your agenda…

Reactions: 1 users
Hello to my future peers and classmates.. I've got a few interviews coming down the pipeline and I'm stuck with this dilemma: I worked hard to grow out some killer sideburns and a sick stash, and it makes me look like a champion. However I don't know what the adcoms will think about it. I look basically like this guy in the picture below. What do you think, should I keep it?
ypRgxC.png

I love that stash and sideburns. Keep it!!

Keep it if you want but I would definitely not go around calling yourself a champion at interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, you already know the potential consequences. Just do what you want yo. #noragrats

I would keep it. If I was an interviewer and you walked in looking like that, I'd grant you an immediate acceptance because you look like Brian Fantana, my Anchorman hero.

Reactions: 6 users
Are you just looking for validation?

Do what you think will work best for you, but I vote no.

How can you chill and have a sense of humor when you are too busy stressing over 29AA's and 3.989 gpa's?
Yeah no doubt. All a bunch of killjoys that spend their life stressing instead of enjoying it.. Give me a break.

ypRgxC.png
Depends... What's your GPA/DAT? Lolol

Then that's all you need to say. No need to be an @$$, brother.
I'm not. You make a poll asking for people's opinions, then when you get them you insult anyone who disagrees with you. THEN you insult your sample audience as a whole.

You know, I was wrong and you were right. You should totally keep it. Go to your interviews, if you get any, looking like a "champion."

Grow up kid.

Reactions: 3 users
without pics I'm going to assume it's one of these scenarios

cnftD.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
I'd say if it's fully grown and nicely trimmed, then you can keep it and still be accepted. Unless of course, you think your more professional look is without your glorious stache.

I'd say if it's fully grown and nicely trimmed, then you can keep it and still be accepted. Unless of course, you think your more professional look is without your glorious stache.

Seconded. Do what you think makes you look best, OP :)

Last edited:
I'm not. You make a poll asking for people's opinions, then when you get them you insult anyone who disagrees with you. THEN you insult your sample audience as a whole.

You know, I was wrong and you were right. You should totally keep it. Go to your interviews, if you get any, looking like a "champion."

Grow up kid.
If you are so mature get out of pre-dental forums.. It goes beyond giving opinion when you act like a dick. Asking for validation? LOL!

And for the record, I already have three interview invites. Read the OP, that's why I'm asking this question.

Last edited:
Well thanks for the feedback peeps. If anything, I was able to identify who the cool people are on this site, and who walks around sucking lemons all day.
But really, thanks for the input. I believe in collective wisdom (to an extent), and will probably end up showing up to the interviews clean shaven.
There will be plenty of time to grow out the Brian Fantana stash in d-school.

You need to grow up TS. You make a poll to prove something to yourself to make you feel better and the people don't vote the way you want and you have the audacity to say it's because people here have ulterior motives and don't want you to succeed?

The people here have been more helpful than any site and forum out there regardless of the topic of the site/forum. And then claims he has great people skills lol.

You need to grow up TS. You make a poll to prove something to yourself to make you feel better and the people don't vote the way you want and you have the audacity to say it's because people here have ulterior motives and don't want you to succeed?

The people here have been more helpful than any site and forum out there regardless of the topic of the site/forum. And then claims he has great people skills lol.
Let the man be lol...

hahahahhaha, you silly people with the ability to grow facial hair.... :(

Good grief.. This website attracts so many narcissistic a**holes..

hahahahhaha, you silly people with the ability to grow facial hair.... :(
Bro, no worries.. Everyone gets their ability at different ages. Give it some time haha.
I only know one guy who is like 30 who doesn't get much more than peach fuzz haha. He's more of an outlier though.

Only keep the stash and sideburns if you're prepared to talk about how much you love NASCAR and Busch Light.

From a girl point of view, please let it go.:luck:

No I am serious, you might consider tone it down a little, I mean you don't want to shave it completely, but you don't want to make it so obvious at the same time.
I seriously believe you have to do your hairstyle and facial hair the way you like it to feel more confident and comfortable, but remember to look neat and presentable at the same time.
Best of luck on your interview.

Get rid of it. Keeping it says, "I care more about my look than my future." I say this as a person that takes great pride in his epic mane but knows when to shave.

i'd at least make it look nice. I haven't seen anyone at the interview that had poor grooming.

I made the decision to shave and cut my hair for interviews. It wasn't an easy decision to make, but you can never be too careful to take measures that won't ruffle any feathers. I know it sucks, but if the only thing I have to do to conform is lose a few months of growth, so be it. It'll come back. For what it's worth, I was rocking the professor from Jaws look, but without the glasses. For SDNers who have met me in person, they can attest that I look eerily similar to that in real life when I'm in caveman mode. Problem is, I met most people during interview season when I was in generic white dude mode.

View attachment 206813
I'll vouch. He looks like a homeless caveman :p

Last edited:
I made the decision to shave and cut my hair for interviews. It wasn't an easy decision to make, but you can never be too careful to take measures that won't ruffle any feathers. I know it sucks, but if the only thing I have to do to conform is lose a few months of growth, so be it. It'll come back. For what it's worth, I was rocking the professor from Jaws look, but without the glasses. For SDNers who have met me in person, they can attest that I look eerily similar to that in real life when I'm in caveman mode. Problem is, I met most people during interview season when I was in generic white dude mode.

View attachment 206813
Wow, what a glorious post. Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking too. Hack it off for a season, it'll grow back. I totally know what you mean with the generic white dude mode. But hey, 4 years of d-school is plenty of time to grow it back.

Scumbag Steve is one of my favorite memes. I should have made my account as good guy Greg lol

View attachment 206813
I was clean shaven and hair trimmed for my interviews. Ran into one of the Doctors I interviewed with randomly this summer with my hair and beard fully grown. Explaining the Jesus/lost member of Led Zeppelin look was a treat.

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-24_17-40-25.png
    upload_2016-7-24_17-40-25.png
    322.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited: