For schools that have a max amount of community college credits, will they still look at my application if it goes a bit over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rvting

Reaction score
Many schools have a 60 cred limit, I have 64. Would dental schools just over look an extra curricular class? Its just one class.

edit: the vast majority of the community college credits are not even required classes. Also to specify, I am referring to the 60 credit limit on prerequisites

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would think so, at long as it's not an outrageous amount. I don't think it's a hard line, just a very strong suggestion. But again, never hurts to ask them yourself. They could straight up tell you no, and you just gotta move on and be grateful you didn't just donate $300 applying to that school

I would think so, at long as it's not an outrageous amount. I don't think it's a hard line, just a very strong suggestion. But again, never hurts to ask them yourself. They could straight up tell you no, and you just gotta move on and be grateful you didn't just donate $300 applying to that school
Another thing I realized, is that the 64 count also includes classes I retook. So this is even further confusing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn’t try to over think it. Reach out to schools and just say I have 64 CC credits can I still apply or is it a hard stop at 60? Something like that but said more professionally

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn’t try to over think it. Reach out to schools and just say I have 64 CC credits can I still apply or is it a hard stop at 60? Something like that but said more professionally
No hate but I don't know if I can agree. I didn't have CC credits when applying but I do know how strict adcoms are with requirements and cutoffs. Especially with the amount of people applying. Reaching out and asking is the best advice but if that doesn't work I would save your money and use it on a different school.

Reactions: 1 users
Concurring: check with the schools. 64 isn't a huge deal, and -- if you are correct with your description -- if most of the hours are just gen eds, you should be okay. The intent is meant to discourage anyone from banking their entire higher ed journey in junior college/community college without making an attempt to take courses at a bachelor-degree-granting institution.

I contacted Las Vegas to see what they say. The admissions rep doesn't seem to see it as a big deal. I suppose if there are any issues I would simply show this.

Attachments

• UNLV.png
    UNLV.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 51