Do I have a chance to MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohyou98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m an international student. I’ve applied to medical schools 1-2 years ago but withdrew my applications because I had no way of funding the education and I’m not eligible for big loans because of my status. I graduated from a UC in 2020 with 3.54 with a double major in neuroscience and anthropology. I have 3 years of work experience (1.5 years as a medical assistant and 1.5 as a clinical research assistant). I also have 3 years of bench research in undergrad that resulted in 2 journal publications. Bunch of other extracurricular activities that include teaching and mentoring. I’m also learning data science and completing a bootcamp. I’m now headed to Harvard to complete my masters degree in epidemiology (environmental health specialization). I’ve always been drawn to research but I honestly was doubting my skill set and intelligence to even apply to MD/PhD. I love to learn and would love to continue research in epidemiology or environmental health. By the time I graduate with my masters degree, I’ll be 28. I honestly feel old. I’m lowkey scared of being the older person in a cohort. My bf and I are planning to get married in a near future as well and even though he’s supportive of my dreams, I’m scared of moving around so much and not settling down and having a family (we do want it). Oh, I should also mention that my MCAT score was 508 (128/124/127/129 - I think. I hate CARS). Do I have a chance of getting in to a decent program with my background? I will have to retake the MCAT. Another thing worth mentioning is that an advisor at Harvard told me that if I wanted to get a PhD after my masters, I could technically take PhD required classes during my masters and if I get in (which apparently sometimes 50% of incoming PhD cohort are previous Harvard students), I could complete my PhD in less than 4 years. I feel like I could have a higher chance of getting in if I went for only PhD route after my masters but I also would love to pursue medicine and if I can do it for free, I’d rather do that. Sorry, it’s a lot, but I appreciate you guys reading and pitching in!

Members don't see this ad.

Duplicate

I’m an international student. I’ve applied to medical schools 1-2 years ago but withdrew my applications because I had no way of funding the education and I’m not eligible for big loans because of my status. I graduated from a UC in 2020 with 3.54 with a double major in neuroscience and anthropology. I have 3 years of work experience (1.5 years as a medical assistant and 1.5 as a clinical research assistant). I also have 3 years of bench research in undergrad that resulted in 2 journal publications. Bunch of other extracurricular activities that include teaching and mentoring. I’m also learning data science and completing a bootcamp. I’m now headed to Harvard to complete my masters degree in epidemiology (environmental health specialization). I’ve always been drawn to research but I honestly was doubting my skill set and intelligence to even apply to MD/PhD. I love to learn and would love to continue research in epidemiology or environmental health. By the time I graduate with my masters degree, I’ll be 28. I honestly feel old. I’m lowkey scared of being the older person in a cohort. My bf and I are planning to get married in a near future as well and even though he’s supportive of my dreams, I’m scared of moving around so much and not settling down and having a family (we do want it). Oh, I should also mention that my MCAT score was 508 (128/124/127/129 - I think. I hate CARS). Do I have a chance of getting in to a decent program with my background? I will have to retake the MCAT. Another thing worth mentioning is that an advisor at Harvard told me that if I wanted to get a PhD after my masters, I could technically take PhD required classes during my masters and if I get in (which apparently sometimes 50% of incoming PhD cohort are previous Harvard students), I could complete my PhD in less than 4 years. I feel like I could have a higher chance of getting in if I went for only PhD route after my masters but I also would love to pursue medicine and if I can do it for free, I’d rather do that. Sorry, it’s a lot, but I appreciate you guys reading and pitching in!
Answer: no

Status
Not open for further replies.