Unsure of Plan Towards MD or MD-PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dotblock

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently graduated at a CSU with BA Biology degree with a 2.82 GPA/2.86 Math & Science GPA, general upward trend from two CC's which were both a 2.60 GPA. I have some undergrad research experience with 3 research projects/presentations, and I've had trouble deciding whether a research career or whether an MD-PhD is right for me. I like the idea of being able to do patient care while doing some research projects, but I haven't really settled in yet. I have heard that usually MD-PhD professionals will either stick to research or patient care.

I'm looking to accomplish both clinical and research experience by working both part-time at a hospital pharmacy as a pharmacy tech and also by working as a research assistant. Does this seem like a logistical or realistic approach to gaining experience in both? I've worked in retail pharmacy for almost 6 years, but transitioning into hospital is a little daunting. Also, getting my foot in the door as far as academic research outside of undergrad without getting into a master's program seems like a good route for me to explore without any full on education commitment.

I am considering DIY post-bac route or some sort of SMP, but after spending 10 continuous years trying to get my bachelor's degree (I failed and repeated A LOT of CC classes and dealt with academic burnout/depression), I'd like to take a step back from academic coursework for at least a year or two to take care of my health and work on myself before I make that kind of commitment again. It sucks a bit that my past attempts in CC have come back to bite me as far as academic opportunities, but I am trying to make do with my current circumstances rather than be fully disadvantaged by them.

Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Those gpa's are inconsistent with a successful MD (or DO) application.
They are utterly out of MD/PhD range.
Your work as a pharm tech will not add much to a medical school application and research (with those gpa's) won't help either.
Masters grades will improve odds at DO schools (not MD).

It would take a sustained period of academic excellence as well as a strong MCAT to dispel fears.

Take care of yourself.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
The MD/PhD path is typically pursued by exceptionally talented individuals with a strong interest and publishing history in research (Not three). Just for you overall knowledge, if you examine the specialties they tend to match into, you'll find that many lean towards fields with less direct patient care.

If you've experienced burnout and depression during your undergraduate years, it's crucial to consider carefully whether pursuing a career in medicine is the right path. Many of our peers and mentors have faced burnout and depression during medical school and residency, and some have unfortunately left the field, while others continue to grapple with these issues daily.

It's essential to take a step back and reevaluate your career aspirations (seriously), particularly in light of your academic history. Medicine demands a significant commitment, and it's important to determine whether you have the ability to get a 4.0 in a master program/SMP and a 500+ on the MCAT in a two year period. .I wrote an article on Post-bacc programs and SMPs that you should read before you consider doing one. If not interested long story short, I do not believe that you should do one, it'll just add to your debt. Read these replies and be real if you think that the suggestions align with your capabilities and well-being.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Those gpa's are inconsistent with a successful MD (or DO) application.
They are utterly out of MD/PhD range.
Your work as a pharm tech will not add much to a medical school application and research (with those gpa's) won't help either.
Masters grades will improve odds at DO schools (not MD).

It would take a sustained period of academic excellence as well as a strong MCAT to dispel fears.

Take care of yourself.

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
The MD/PhD path is typically pursued by exceptionally talented individuals with a strong interest and publishing history in research (Not three). Just for you overall knowledge, if you examine the specialties they tend to match into, you'll find that many lean towards fields with less direct patient care.

If you've experienced burnout and depression during your undergraduate years, it's crucial to consider carefully whether pursuing a career in medicine is the right path. Many of our peers and mentors have faced burnout and depression during medical school and residency, and some have unfortunately left the field, while others continue to grapple with these issues daily.

It's essential to take a step back and reevaluate your career aspirations (seriously), particularly in light of your academic history. Medicine demands a significant commitment, and it's important to determine whether you have the ability to get a 4.0 in a master program/SMP and a 500+ on the MCAT in a two year period. .I wrote an article on Post-bacc programs and SMPs that you should read before you consider doing one. If not interested long story short, I do not believe that you should do one, it'll just add to your debt. Read these replies and be real if you think that the suggestions align with your capabilities and well-being.

Thanks for the response and for the insight, I'll take a read through your article. My plan is to do that exactly - to take a step back and reevaluate my motivations as far as pursuing medical school. I'm accepting to the fact and reality that where I'm currently at in my life, especially at an academic and mental health level, I am nowhere near qualified.

But in knowing that, I feel compelled to still try and get to that point/period. I'm set on the fact it's going to take a considerable amount of time to reflect, take care of my health, get into & finish a post-bacc/SMP program with a 4.0 with that kind of high MCAT score and THEN apply. It's a commitment I'm willing to take for the kind of career I would feel fulfilled in.

I feel like I still have the capabilities to grow more, I just don't want my personal circumstances be the end all to it. Don't get me wrong I'm nervous to try, but I'm also trying to be perceptive of what I can realistically do.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users