Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

brookeohh

Brooke
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first year of high school I was home schooled but when I decided to go back to public school none of my credits had transferred. I did fairly well in school, (I did credit recovery and summer school to make up for my freshman year, yet my counselor said it was pointless) I had gotten mostly A's with a couple of B's through out my sophomore and first semester of junior year, and I ended up taking a strong liking to Biology. I am now supposed to be a junior in high school but because I was missing a whole years worth of credits I decided to get my GED so by the time I would be graduating high school, I would already have two years of college down. I have always been uptight and nerdy about my grades, so when I found out there would be no chance of me graduating high school on time I was devastated. Anyways, I was curious to if I would have any chance to become a surgeon despite me now taking classes at my local community college. The stigma that surrounds community college makes me uncomfortable, because I am only 16 most assume I got pregnant or had an addiction. I have visioned myself as a surgeon for 3 years, and I am now starting to doubt if I could truly do this when I couldn't even graduate high school.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people here have taken community college courses before going to medical school. They don't preclude you from doing so. Do a search around here (perhaps in the pre-allopathic forum) for "community college courses" and you'll get some good things to read. However, you will have to take classes at a 4 year institution at some point and get a bachelor's degree, so keep that in mind.

You definitely can. Nothing says that you can't... High school only matters so much. Work hard, learn what you can and you'll do great. No promises, but work yourself and learn as much as you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think your fine man. Just excel in your classes and transfer into one of the public 4-year universities in your state once you are finished at you CC. Don't let what happened to you in high school determine what you will do for the rest of your life.

Reactions: 1 user
I will add one more piece of advice - toughen up. You get to write your own narrative so don't let some phantom preconceived notion stop you from achieving your goals (medicine or whatever you decide).

Reactions: 1 user
I started at a CC at 15 and then transferred to a four year after my associates. It didn't stop me from getting in.