Do I have a shot? Research-heavy, clinical/volunteering-light applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAG321

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I’m a senior at a rigorous private research institute, thinking about applying to MD-PhD programs with one gap year. I’m hoping that ppl could evaluate my chances and give me some tips based on my stats and (current) experience:

GPA: 3.89c (3.89s and 3.9ns)
MCAT: 516 (130,128,129,139)

Research Experience:

- I’m pursuing a dual BS/MS degree in biochem, which means that I’ll graduate with a master’s degree in addition to my bachelors at the end of my four years.

- Two labs, ~4000 hours total. 2 university fellowships totaling $11k, 3 posters over 3 summers, presenting again soon, and 1 publication on the docket (4th author or something like that). Research revolves around molecular biology and enzymology, so non-clinical.

Clinical Experience:

- 30 hours volunteering at a nursing home
- 20 shadowing hours, planning on racking up more
- tutoring kids with neurodivergent conditions

Extras:

Jazz band, vice president of athletics club, founder and editor-in-chief of research journal (newly formed). Hobbies include tennis, endurance and weightlifting athletics, all that jazz.

Gap year plans:

- no definitive plans yet, although I’m yearning to get some industry experience.
Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

You seem to have the most important experiences and you are a close match to the typical member of the National MD/PhD matriculation class. Now, that means that the mid- and low- tier of MSTP are your match. You can apply to high-tier MSTP but you are less likely to be invited / accepted. You are also a high likely invite / accept applicant for large non-MSTP programs and other MD/PhD programs. Check out my corner for advice and PM me if needed. Some schools would like for you to get ~100 hrs of clinical experiences, but most MD/PhD programs will see it as time away from the lab.

Reactions: 1 users