Do I have ANY chance at these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SB720

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I began undergrad in 2003, majored in Economics and performed very poorly. I dropped out of college during my last semester with only 12 credits needed for graduation. I left with a 2.54 GPA.

I returned to college last year and finished my undergrad requirements during the summer session. I was given permission to stay another year so that I could bring up my GPA. I have since completed 60 credits (168 credits in total now) in pre-med coursework. I took the MCAT and scored a 36. I have a 4.0 in the last 60 undergrad credits completed, which are all science courses. Overall, my GPA is a 3.0.

So, do I have any chance at some of the NY schools? I know my GPA is low, but I am in NYC and can only apply to NYC schools. My list is NYU (my alma mater), Columbia, Albert Einstein, Mount Sinai, SUNY - downstate and Cornell. Is this too much of a reach for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't take this the wrong way, but why are you stuck in NYC? I'm pretty sure no one applies to medical school without realizing they may have to move. You have a great MCAT score, but a 3.0 may put you out of the running for some of the schools. I would look at the MSAR to see what it looks like for those schools. And I would be a little more flexible on where you apply also. What will you do for residency? Are you only going to rank NYC residency programs? What is keeping you from leaving that island? I don't get it...

unfortunately for you, you have a low GPA and applying to FANTASTIC schools. if you considered DO and applying broadly, i would say you could have a decent chance. any other city you might be fine, but of all places...

Members don't see this ad :)
My husband's job - he is an attorney for a large firm based in NYC - is here. Our family is here and we will be depending on my parents to help out with our two small children while I am in school. I am stuck in NYC for these reasons.

I may have some pull at NYU as I've worked closely with the dean of the undergrad college on research projects, but I don't know.

My husband's job - he is an attorney for a large firm based in NYC - is here. Our family is here and we will be depending on my parents to help out with our two small children while I am in school. I am stuck in NYC for these reasons.

I may have some pull at NYU as I've worked closely with the dean of the undergrad college on research projects, but I don't know.

I wish you the best of luck, but many people's spouses leave jobs and take new ones in new cities, and many people lose family support and end up with nannies in their new cities also. It all comes down to how bad you want to go to medical school and how behind this decision your family is. With that said, if you still can't imagine leaving NYC, I would probably wait 2-3 years and take more upper level undergrad classes and try to get your GPA higher. You may have to retake the MCAT due to it expiring, but I'm just afraid the 3.0 might hold you back. But honestly, I wouldn't say that for sure really. It's kind of a crapshoot applying to medical school. Also, I wouldn't count on having pull at NYU due to research. Most people applying to medical school did research in labs at their schools (which are often medical schools also) and I have never heard of this helping before.

Be aware that you are below the 10th percentile for GPA at most of these schools, so your chances are low, though you still have a shot and it's worth applying (you never know).

You have a few options if you are dead-set on the NY area:
- First, definitely apply to all schools above (since this is your first choice)
- Consider applying DO (Touro - NY comes to mind, NYCOM (though it's not in the city)).
- Consider an SMP program (if you apply and are not admitted to any of the schools above). A good GPA there will make you much more competitive at the listed schools.
- Consider a commute that'll work for both you and your husband (there are schools slightly outside the city where you have much better odds, such as New York Medical College).

I wanted to edit and add two things to my post... you asked if you have a chance at any of the schools, and the answer is definitely yes, you have a chance. Second, only apply DO if you would comfortable with DO schools. The question becomes would you rather be a re-applicant to an MD or attend a DO a year earlier (assuming you end up with this choice).

I began undergrad in 2003, majored in Economics and performed very poorly. I dropped out of college during my last semester with only 12 credits needed for graduation. I left with a 2.54 GPA.

I returned to college last year and finished my undergrad requirements during the summer session. I was given permission to stay another year so that I could bring up my GPA. I have since completed 60 credits (168 credits in total now) in pre-med coursework. I took the MCAT and scored a 36. I have a 4.0 in the last 60 undergrad credits completed, which are all science courses. Overall, my GPA is a 3.0.

So, do I have any chance at some of the NY schools? I know my GPA is low, but I am in NYC and can only apply to NYC schools. My list is NYU (my alma mater), Columbia, Albert Einstein, Mount Sinai, SUNY - downstate and Cornell. Is this too much of a reach for me?

Last edited:
Hey! You have a very similar background to mine and I'm also an NYU alum!

First, the low GPA isn't going to matter as much as it would for a traditional applicant. It appears that your low GPA was from 2003-2007? So those grades are now 3-7 years old. They are somewhat irrelevant. It also sounds like you probably had extenuating circumstances. It'll be up to you to explain those really well. The schools are going to love that you have a 4.0gpa in the science courses and those grades are all recent.

Your MCAT is awesome and the science GPA is great. NYU is a great school and the admin will take that into account.

I understand where you are coming from about not being able to leave Manhattan. When you have a family it can't just be about you. I had 1 child before starting med school, was pregnant with my first during the first year, had my third after boards and am now pregnant with #4. I am graduating this coming year. My DH is also an attorney and right now is not the time to just pack up and leave.

That being said, I think Einstein would be a great fit. Your MCAT is a bit above average for them. They are super family friendly, too. I wouldn't bother with DO schools as your numbers are fine. You won't get in everywhere but you will get in to one of the schools. I know too many people who have your stats, and lower, and they've gotten into many of the schools on your list. Good luck!

Oh, p.s., I saw that you worked with Dean Kalb? That WILL be a huge boost. Did you get a LOR from him? My BFF worked with him (I am guessing you worked on the dekalberine project?) and had a 3.4gpa in chemistry but only a 32 MCAT. She got into NYU, Mount Sinai and Albert Einstein. It was purely based on her connections with him. So, if you have that going for you, it'll definitely help. :)

Your odds don't look good for most of those schools, but especially Cornell and Columbia.

You may want to talk to Geekchick. She's doing a Philly-or-bust strategy.