Do I have any shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedkid12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I want peoples honest opinion if I can even get in to any dental school realistically or should I try to do a post-bac or just try to do optometry or something.

Overall GPA-3.24
Science Gpa- Like 3.16 or something, but hopefully higher after this semester.
Dat Score- I scored a 20 in each section.
Shadowing at a dentist office with 4 dentist-Over 60 hours. With all of them being on the LOR with 2 having attended UOP and NYU, one also teaches a class at UOP dental (can someone tell me if that plays any factor if say apply to either of those schools?)
I also tutored kids in my old neighborhood, but don't know how I can document that.
Worked full time at my Dads Pool Service company to help the family espically since my fathers Stroke.

(Both my grandparents died my first year. Grandma in September and Grandpa in November)
1st Semester-2.76 Pre-Req Physics I C+
2nd Semester - 9 Units 4.0 this semester Statistics A
3rd Semester 3.3 Pre Req Physics II B
4th Semester 3.0 Gen Chem B
(Gpa was starting to be ok, but father had a stroke during the summer so I was working for the family business even more)
5th Semester 2. 9 Gen Bio B+, Gen Chem II B-, O Chem B-
6th Semester (15 Units) 3.38 GPA Gen Bio II B+, O Chem I Lab A-, O Chem II B-, and Bio Sexuality A
7th Semester- (19 Units) 3.45 GPA Physiology A, Genetics B-, Endocrinology B+, Evolution B, Holistic Health A, Psych A

Last two semester my GPA is increasing so I don't know if they would take that into consideration. So do I have any shot. I know its not a good excuse about the losing grandparents or my dad being sick since I'm sure many applicants suffered through similar scenarios, but they did effect me greatly and my grades suffered because of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah you have a shot.

Worst case scenario is that you might have to do post-bac to increase your low GPA. Apply early and to a broad amount of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you think my chances are of getting an interview? Hopefully if I get one, I can just sell myself

Bro, that's a really loaded question lol. Seriously though, where do you live? If you live near a dental school just contact them and ask for an appointment to go over your application. If anything it gets your face out there. Talk to dental schools. It's a mixed bag whether about which schools are willing to communicate with you but I've found that a good portion of them will be helpful.

Sorry, just trying to get info. I live in california and living in san jose to be exact.

Don't get me wrong, first and foremost I want to be a dentist then anything else, but that being said sometimes even no matter how hard you try sometimes you do not reach your goal, it is just a part of life sadly. So instead of trying and trying, then possibly never getting in I would like to have a backup choice to. I know that sounds bad, but the way the economy is and if you want to be able to support your family in the future you have to have a good career. If i knew for sure 100% I would get in while doing a post bac that even lasts 2-4 years I would keep working towards being a dentist. Sometimes though you just have to move on.

Just want honest opinions

Honestly, you have a great shot at admission, if you really want to be a dentist. Make sure your personal statement uses all of your personal experiences, both good and bad, to give the adcoms a picture of how these events have influenced your decision.

Your dad's illness shapes who you are now and may give you an advantage because you have dealt with a personal tragedy and survived. Use it! Own it!

Good Luck!!:):):)

so does anyone else have an opinion about my chances of at the least getting an interview somewhere.

It seems like you're looking for reassurance that you will get accepted, and no one here can give you that. Your stats are simply borderline. While it doesn't mean that you won't get in, it does mean that it won't be easy. You might have to apply more than once. You might have to do a post-bac. With your range of numbers, it will be a crap-shoot, and you won't find out what you need to do until you've tried.

Honestly, it is way too early in the game for you to look for exit strategies, and if your decision is going to be determined by what you read on these boards, then maybe you should consider other options.

"Do or do not. There is no try" _Yoda

PS: If you do decide that dentistry is what you want to do, then I'd recommend making an appointment to visit UoP (since you're in the bay) during the offseason and talking to an admissions person. They'll be able to give you a much better assessment of your chances than you'll get here. I did this last May,and it did wonders for me.

I was trying to actually just get opinions of what people know, since I personally do not know many people who have applied to dental school, so I have nothing to compare to. I was just trying to see if people know anyone with my stats who have received an interviewed things like that. I tried to talk to my school councilors, but they didn't have any type of advice or opinions, all they said is, you can get a interview maybe. Then I was trying to get an opinion on if the adcoms will see that the last couple of semesters where my GPA has become greater each semester how much of a factor that will play in their decision making, where I have learned how to deal with my all situations while taking a heavier course load while still getting a decent GPA (17 Units each semester 3.35 first semester and 3.45 the second semester with 4 upper division science courses in each semester). I have also previously contacted UOP to go over my application and grades, but every time I have called they just try to give me the run around and nothing has ever been accomplished. This is the reason I am on this website, since I was hoping people who have been interview, talked to some adcoms, or currently in dental school could give me feedback from their experiences. If I wanted reassurance from someone that I will get in I could just go talk to my dentist who is the worlds most positive person or my mom who will tell me each time that I will get in.

so does anyone else have an opinion about my chances of at the least getting an interview somewhere.

Extreme borderline. Take more classes and get straight A's in em. Perhaps do a summer session in May-June of 8 or so units and ace those to. Turn in app early and hope for the best. That being said, be realistic. Those stats are super borderline. Plan ahead if you don't get in.

That means, taking more courses in the fall/spring and acing them. Or perhaps doing some more EC's etc.

Rainee, I am taking classes right now, 15 units, plan on taking 9 units this summer and classes in the fall actually. The only problem with the summer classes is that at my campus they do not begin until June 10th. Also I am still shadowing at the dental office, so getting more hours thats way. Also I calculated my sGPA if, big word being if, say I get a 3.5 for the upcoming classes I plan to take and currently taking (trying to be realistic here since I am also working full time and have a daughter) I can get up to a 3.3 sGPA. So hopefully that would help me out a little bit in my application. Also I do plan on retaking the DAT at the end of May hopefully trying to get 21 and above

Last edited:
I think you can get into dental school, you are kind of at the boderline though. I would definitely apply to lots of schools (more than 15 all private) especially private schools, and maybe do a 1 year masters program if you don't get in. Depending on how many credits you have you could probably do a post-bach to boost your current GPA.

Good Luck,

Jon

Thanks for the advice jon. Im going to try my hardest this current semester to atleast get a 3.65 which would boost my overall gpa to a 3.3 and and science to a 3.22 which is a tiny bit better than my current stats

Dude of course you have a shot!..

Trust me, your a soon to b dental student with your DAT scores. GPA is average.. but you will definitely get interviews! Just choose your schools to apply to wisely :)

I wouldn't even try, go for the opto thing, you will have a better shot at that. Plus you get to be a doctor

I have no clue if you are being sarcastic or what, but that is really not advice and has no reasons explained for that opinion. Looking at your old posts seems seems like you are one of the most pessimistic people on this board and tend to be a person who puts other people down, superiority complex possibly? The rest of you I appreciate the advice and how I may approve my chances

Don't listen to him. You could always try, and see what happens. It's not all about GPA. If you aren't accepted, you can call each school and ask them to tell you why.

If you want to be a dentist, don't give up.

I'm still hoping I'll get in to my first choice.