Low Master's Gpa - Do I still have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coronahopeful

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

As the title states, I will likely graduate with a mere 3.4 GPA at my 1-year master's program in Biomedical Science. I feel so hopeless now in my pursuit of dental school. The reason behind this low GPA may be primarily attributed to my father's passing during midterms the last term. But I want to stay objective and embrace reality here. Aside from my master's, here are my stats:

Undergrad: 2.9 gpa (Graduted in 2014)
Post-bacc courses - 3.5 (Physics I and I, Biochem, Microbiology, Orgo I)
Master's 3.4 (I might be able to bring it up to 3.5 if I take two more classes)
DATs: 1st attempt will be taken in July of this year

Extracurriculars:
- 3.5 years working as a dental assistant
- Volunteered for 4 months at hospital as a courier)
- Volunteered during my Junior and Senior years as an ESL tutor/mentor
- Worked at a hospice for 3 years post-graduate
- Completed Ironman races.

I am seeking constructive advice. Please let me know what other options there are to make my application more competitive. Thank you for your reply!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Fellow pre-dental student here, I dont think you are giving yourself enough grace! A 3.4 isnt as bad as you are thinking, my advice is go and crush the DAT! If you get a good DAT score I believe it will help with balancing out with your gpa's. I also think you have a good amount of shadowing and volunteer hours which is really important. If you have not done so yet maybe start by working on your personal statement so that is also strong, do not rule yourself out! I am sorry to hear about your father and I hoped this helped a bit!

Is your MS associated with a dental school? Do you have a pre health advisor at your program? I would ask them what the best step forward would be.

Reactions: 1 user