do I need a masters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jgenes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow nontrad students,
To make a long story short I have a good MCAT but an "ehh" GPA.
My cumulative GPA is nearly 3.5 (3.497 to be exact). My biology chem physics math GPA is only a 3.4
I did well on the MCAT and scored a 35 (9PS, 13BS, 13VR)
I did not do well in physics and chem (B's and C's). I also have 2 W's and a P on my transcript (not sure how bad that is).
I did do very well in upper division bio classes.
I don't know if I should apply this year or if I should do a master's program. Do I need a master's program? Post-bacc will not help me at this point. I have sooo many credits, my undergrad GPA is not going anywhere. I've also already taken most of the upper division bio classes, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Members don't see this ad.

My cumulative GPA is nearly 3.5 (3.497 to be exact). My biology chem physics math GPA is only a 3.4
I did not do well in physics and chem (B's and C's). I also have 2 W's and a P on my transcript (not sure how bad that is).
I don't know if I should apply this year or if I should do a master's program. Do I need a master's program? Post-bacc will not help me at this point. I have sooo many credits, my undergrad GPA is not going anywhere. I've also already taken most of the upper division bio classes, so I'm not sure where to go from here.
I would apply this cycle if I were you. I guess it depends on your ec's but I think you'd be fine with that mcat

reasonable shot at MD, great shot at DO......you don't need a masters

Members don't see this ad :)
This post seems oddly familiar, but maybe I've just been on here too long?

Your numbers look fine. Your likelihood of getting in will likely hinge on another factor: how well you present yourself!

You do not need an MS, you need MSAR Online. Apply 6/1 to schools whose median scores are close to your own. I can think of at least 10, minimum.