Do I need an MD-only recommendation letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1038508

I noticed that many of my friends/peers have letters from MDs they shadowed or knew. My lab PI is an MD/PhD and wrote me a recommendation, but he has had no time with me in the clinic so his recommendation is entirely research-focused. Likewise, all my other recommendations are from PhDs in sciences or humanities.

Should I reach out to an MD I shadowed for a LOR? I'm worried that my application is at a disadvantage because it doesn't specifically say anything clinical-related. Only research/didactic related.

Members don't see this ad.

not necessary, unless the school requires a physician letter, which I think very few MD schools do. I don't think I applied to a single one that required a physician letter. just focus on meeting the school requirements with letter writers that will give you solid recommendations, if the MD you shadowed would write a really good one then go for it

lots of DO schools require a physician letter, whether MD or DO

Reactions: 1 users
I never had any letters from MDs. Professors , old supervisor (my commanding officer), and that’s it .

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
MD schools historically requiring a clinical or physician shadowing letter:
USUHS, Seton Hall, AZx2, RFU, Utah. UCDavis recommends one.

Otherwise, only if your school committee letter requires one.
Gotcha- Do you think it would help my application to have that MD letter behind me though? Or do you think it wouldn't make a difference

I didn’t have a physician lor and I turned out fine (n=1 tho). I did have a RN write me one tho

Last edited:
Gotcha- Do you think it would help my application to have that MD letter behind me though? Or do you think it wouldn't make a difference
No, it won't affect your candidacy. What are they going to say about you? Came on time. Dressed neatly. Stood quietly. Asked a good question or three at an appropriate time.

Reactions: 4 users