Do I need to join professional associations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazy4psych

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at sample CV for undergraduate psychology students and almost all of them included a section titled, "Professional Associations." My question is, are they important to graduate schools and, if so, which do I need to join? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't join any in undergrad, but I know plenty of folks who got a good bit of mileage out of their Psi Chi membership, as that organization usually hosted things like FAQs with current grad students, interview practice with faculty members, etc.

Edit: but as for purely professional organizations, as has been mentioned, I don't see a huge advantage for undergrads.

Last edited:
I was a member of ABCT. Not sure if it helped me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless, you plan on attending the conference (you'll save enough money on the registration fee if you're a member to make it worth it), I would not spend money on it as an undergraduate.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless you hold a key position, it probably will add little if any to an application.

I joined many associations while an undergrad, however I am an older student so I was able to afford it. I think it would be beneficial to join a local association, I joined and was able to network at the monthly CE workshops for opportunities. Also, as a member you have access to journals so I benefitted from that, I enjoyed reading current literature.

In retrospect I probably did not need that many, but I believe it shows interest in what fields you would like to go to. Then again I don't list those on my CV, I'm embarrassed how many divisions of APA I have joined. Maybe join APA then see which divisions offer free membership and apply for those?

Only join an organization if you get something out of it (e.g., Psi Chi has scholarships to apply for, etc.). Seeing organizations on someone's CV isn't impressive, what's impressive is the poster presentations and things they might have done *with* the membership.