Do I need to plan on reapplying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notmycupoftea

Reaction score
Maybe I just need to get off SDN and reddit. But I'm starting to wonder if I need to plan on reapplying.

I have a 514/3.99, so I don't imagine stats are the problem. I've gotten 2 II's. 1 turned into a WL, and the other one I won't hear back about until December. I have solid hours in seemingly every activity one would need and wrote passionately - clinical experience, clinical volunteering, leadership, teaching, fun hobbies, unique activities. Had lots of help with PS/activities/secondaries/interview prep and got good feedback every time. 1 R in July but none since then.

The only thing activities-wise I fear may be holding me back is volunteering. I have solid hours over a year at an animal shelter and am very passionate about what I do (adoption counseling/donations). I had talked with my advisor about volunteering there, and he told me I'll be fine as long as I have sufficient clinical experience. I'm starting to worry if schools see this volunteering as silly/insignificant compared to other applicants. I've been trying to get some other non-clinical volunteering and have been mentioning this to schools in update letters.

School list (Missouri Resident):
Mizzou
UMKC
SLU
WashU
Oklahoma (very strong ties to state)
Kansas
Iowa
MCW
Loma Linda (yes I fit the mission)
OUWB
Western Michigan
UCF
Illinois
TCU
Hackensack
Miami
Colorado
VCU

My main goal is staying close to home. Hence, I applied to Kansas/Illinois/Iowa just because they're close by but I'm starting to think this was not wise. Do I need to plan on reapplying? School list help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Always prepare to reapply until you get an offer.

You were given a list earlier and also feedback on your activities. What has changed our improved since then?
Main activity addition is non-clinical volunteering. I've picked up a volunteer leadership position with a community outreach at my school and have been leading our team every week.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have solid hours in seemingly every activity one would need and wrote passionately - clinical experience, clinical volunteering, leadership, teaching, fun hobbies, unique activities. Had lots of help with PS/activities/secondaries/interview prep and got good feedback every time. 1 R in July but none since then.

The only thing activities-wise I fear may be holding me back is volunteering. I have solid hours over a year at an animal shelter and am very passionate about what I do (adoption counseling/donations). I had talked with my advisor about volunteering there, and he told me I'll be fine as long as I have sufficient clinical experience. I'm starting to worry if schools see this volunteering as silly/insignificant compared to other applicants. I've been trying to get some other non-clinical volunteering and have been mentioning this to schools in update letters.

School list (Missouri Resident):
Mizzou
UMKC
SLU
WashU
Oklahoma (very strong ties to state)
Kansas
Iowa
MCW
Loma Linda (yes I fit the mission)
OUWB
Western Michigan
UCF
Illinois
TCU
Hackensack
Miami
Colorado
VCU
You have 2 interviews already, which is good. Hopefully you hear good news from the one in December. You should have good chances at Mizzou and UMKC.

The bolded is often the issue with applicants in general. They think they’ve done a good amount but in reality have deficiencies in their app with regards to ECs. With 2 II’s, hopefully that is not the case for you but what are your hour breakdowns for your activities? I remember the animal shelter being the only activity you had for non-clinical volunteering when you posted a WAMC before the current cycle started. With MCW, Oakland, SLU, and TCU being service-oriented, that would hurt your chances there.

Wash U was unrealistic. Kansas takes very few OOS students and those who are successful likely attended undergrad somewhere in the state.

Reactions: 1 users
You have 2 interviews already, which is good. Hopefully you hear good news from the one in December. You should have good chances at Mizzou and UMKC.

The bolded is often the issue with applicants in general. They think they’ve done a good amount but in reality have deficiencies in their app with regards to ECs. With 2 II’s, hopefully that is not the case for you but what are your hour breakdowns for your activities? I remember the animal shelter being the only activity you had for non-clinical volunteering when you posted a WAMC before the current cycle started. With MCW, Oakland, SLU, and TCU being service-oriented, that would hurt your chances there.

Wash U was unrealistic. Kansas takes very few OOS students and those who are successful likely attended undergrad somewhere in the state.
My WL was at UMKC. They take a very very small class, though, and I'm trying not seeing too far into that. WashU was my only reach. I applied because it was in-state and thought "ah what the heck."

I had 500+ hrs completed clinical experience with 750 projected. Plenty of shadowing. 150 hours clinical volunteering. Work as a substitute teacher and TA. Had 2 completed semesters of research as well. My other interview has solid post interview acceptance rates for OOS students, and I felt like it went well. I suppose moving away from the animal shelter and focusing more on other volunteer opportunities could help make my application more competitive?

And like I said, it's possible that I'm being overly neurotic and just need to shun SDN/reddit for a few weeks.

Last edited:
I had 500+ hrs completed clinical experience with 750 projected. Plenty of shadowing. 150 hours clinical volunteering. Work as a substitute teacher and TA. Had 2 completed semesters of research as well. My other interview has solid post interview acceptance rates for OOS students, and I felt like it went well. I suppose moving away from the animal shelter and focusing more on other volunteer opportunities could help make my application more competitive?
Clinical experience is fine. Research is not essential, but you should definitely focus on other volunteer opportunities (homeless shelter, food bank, soup kitchen, working directly with refugees etc).

Some of these could be found through your church or place of worship (since you said you fit Loma Linda’s profile). You should aim to get 200+ completed hours in this area in the event you have to reapply. Projected hours do not count for much.

Reactions: 1 users
Clinical experience is fine. Research is not essential, but you should definitely focus on other volunteer opportunities (homeless shelter, food bank, soup kitchen, working directly with refugees etc).

Some of these could be found through your church or place of worship (since you said you fit Loma Linda’s profile). You should aim to get 200+ completed hours in this area in the event you have to reapply. Projected hours do not count for much.
Thank you for your input. If I don't get in this cycle, I plan on taking a full year off before reapplying to acquire more volunteering hours at a consistent location.

Reactions: 1 user

One last question - if I was to have to reapply, do I need to apply to DO schools? My grades/MCAT seem to be within the comfort zone of many MD schools and I wasn't planning on it. But thought I'd ask.

One last question - if I was to have to reapply, do I need to apply to DO schools? My grades/MCAT seem to be within the comfort zone of many MD schools and I wasn't planning on it. But thought I'd ask.
In general, reapplicants should add some DO schools. You could apply to KCU, KCOM (Kirksville), DMU and Oklahoma State in that event. Oklahoma State would likely give you an OOS tuition waiver if I remember their policy correctly. These schools also would work for you from a location standpoint.

For MD, if you have to reapply, I would recommend expanding your list more.

You might get more II. The old adage is "Interviews three, a doctor you'll be".