WAMC 3.62/508 How can I improve, possibly reapplying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

time-out

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

It's a good bit into this application cycle yet I have no interviews and no rejections. I applied to 40 schools, 20 MD and 20 DO. All but 2 MD schools I applied to had a median MCAT 512 or below according to MSAR, and one of those 2 is an in-state school. I submitted my primaries within the first 1.5 weeks of July, and my last secondaries went out in early to mid-September. I understand that I may have to reapply this upcoming cycle, so I want to be prepared. I would truly appreciate your opinions and suggestions for the current cycle and your advice on how I can improve my application if I need to reapply.

GPA
3.62 cGPA and 3.45 sGPA

MCAT
508 (126/128/128/126), by percentile: 72 (65/90/82/52)

Residence and Ethnicity
US citizen, Asian, child of immigrants

Clinical experience
230+ hours as an EMT, worked for 7 months during my senior year up to graduation
10+ hours as Clinical Assistant at time of submission, 1100+ projected, currently working this job and have been working since May

Research experience and productivity
250+ hours in History of Geometric Patterns/Art, I was in my school's select undergrad. research program, my program awarded me a grant to fund a study of my design. I presented my work at my school's end-of-year research symposium.
150+ hours in Orthopedic clinical research, I wrote the majority of the paper however did not get published due to the head Doc moving away.
80+ hours in Comparative Physiology and Biomechanics lab research.

Shadowing
110+ hours shadowing across HemOnc (MD PhD), orthopedic sports medicine (DO), and family medicine (1 MD and 1 DO). I've shadowed a few other doctors but those were the main 4 I could fit in my application.

Non-clinical volunteering
70+ hours designing and making reusable multi-layered cotton masks for local small businesses during peak COVID mask shortage.
60+ hours at local soup kitchens, 40+ hours projected as I love volunteering there frequently.
40+ hours teaching at a rural village school in my family's home country (developing), 20+ hours anticipated as I am going again in just a few days.

Leadership:
260+ hours as exec in American Red Cross Club and volunteer, I notably led the COVID kit project during peak pandemic shortages, provided kits with essentials to 240 local underserved families.
170+ hours as a Biology Dept. Ambassador and Research exec, directly mentored a new biology student each year and ran research-related events for students.

Other Extracurriculars and Honors:
90+ hours as co-founder of Emergency Medical Education club.
30+ hours advocating and fund-raising for natural disaster relief in my family's home country, raised over $1,000.
10+ hours exhibiting my artwork at a local art festival/exhibition.
1 small academic scholarship

LORs:
2 from science professors, one who's lab I did research in (biomechanics)
1 non-science professor, dean of the Office of Undergraduate Research, and head of my research program. I am also thinking of having my language professor write me a letter since we have a great relationship and they have known me the longest of any professor.
4 doctors (2 DO and 2 MD), and an additional MD letter is being written by the surgeon I currently work with
1 from a paramedic whom I have a great relationship with. They were with me during my EMT clinical shifts during training and had notable experiences during this which I mention in my PS

Other Info:
I graduated with distinction this past May from a top-25 university. I have a couple of Cs, notably one in Organic Chemistry 2 since I made the mistake of taking it alongside my EMT course. Both of these courses were very intense/quick due to them being summer sessions, and I underestimated the time required for EMT training (it was a 9-credit hour class). However, from there on my GPA finished with an upward trend.
Advisors and doctors who have worked in admissions have told me that my application is strong for DOs and that for MDs is a bit of a stretch. My PS involved making parallels between art and medicine, it discusses how I learned certain values family struggles, and it describes key moments I experienced while shadowing a doctor and providing care as an EMT.

I would love to hear what you all think. Thanks for taking the time to help!

Members don't see this ad.

Your science GPA is low so you may want to consider taking some DIY post bacc science classes before you reapply. You also need more non clinical hours at that soup kitchen and some current leadership. If you are really motivated, it wouldn’t hurt to retake the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My PS involved making parallels between art and medicine, it discusses how I learned certain values family struggles, and it describes key moments I experienced while shadowing a doctor and providing care as an EMT.
Also, I'm not sure I get this theme given the experience you put in with emergency medicine and crisis situations (Red Cross). I get where you are trying to go, but I'm not sure what you wrote would show a mission fit with the schools you applied to. Just my conjecture... you could get an interview tomorrow.

What did your prehealth office think? PREview or Casper scores?
Prehealth advisors also said that I have a good shot at DO schools with my stats and that it's best if I focus my application on that. PREview and Casper both went poorly, 4 and 2nd quartile respectively. I did not begin prep soon enough and I scheduled the tests too early.

Also, I'm not sure I get this theme given the experience you put in with emergency medicine and crisis situations (Red Cross). I get where you are trying to go, but I'm not sure what you wrote would show a mission fit with the schools you applied to. Just my conjecture... you could get an interview tomorrow.
Thank you for your responses!
I wrote my PS with frequent review and edit from medschool coach advisors, including their specific writing advisor. The overarching theme was about adaptability in difficult/evolving situations. I'd like to think that after all their edits and reviews my PS ended up in the right direction for schools, but you might be right it could have been a stretch. I hope you're right about an interview soon!

Your science GPA is low so you may want to consider taking some DIY post bacc science classes before you reapply. You also need more non clinical hours at that soup kitchen and some current leadership. If you are really motivated, it wouldn’t hurt to retake the MCAT.
Thank you for the advice!
Advisors have also told me that my sGPA is a weak point. As far as the soup kitchen goes, I can definitely pick up more time there and find some specific leadership roles.

What is your state of residence? I can provide a school list after knowing that. Where did you apply this cycle? As far as where to improve, I would focus on getting the hours up for both clinical and non-clinical volunteering to improve your chance at MD interviews. Maximizing that with as many hours as possible will help maximize your chances. You don't need any more hours of shadowing or research.

"My PS involved making parallels between art and medicine" is a nice narrative if you have a few activities around art to give you the edge you need as well in my opinion. It will come down to your writing and secondaries, as well as the extra hours I mentioned, to help adcoms overlook the lower stats for MD schools.