Do I stand a chance? 8 years of "random" work experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderedtoolong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Non-trads,

I'm 28, preparing to take the MCAT in September (or next April) and applying summer of 2012 for 2013. I went to a very competitive (Ivy) school for undergrad and graduated in 2004 with a 3.27. I did decently but not outstandingly in most of my undergraduate science courses, as I was convinced I wanted to go into research and spent most of my time in the lab (have a second author paper from undergrad). I worked for 2 years in a neurodegenerative research lab after undergrad and discovered quickly that I did not want to be at the bench for the rest of my life, and began preparing to apply to med school. However, I was offered the opportunity to go to Madagascar and work as a research assistant there, and who could turn that down? While there, I was told to apply for a grant and come back and do my own research, which I did. Long story short, I wound up applying to PhD programs in Ecology and Evo. Bio, got in, went to prestigious program, and found out a year in that, no, this still isn't the right fit, I really should have gone to med school. So, I left after 2 years, took a job as a sales rep for scientific supplies because the job marked right now is awful, and I have to earn a living. I am volunteering in a local ED and re-reading my chemistry and physics books to get ready to prepare for the MCAT. The question is, of course, how will med schools view all of this? I know I somehow have to get across that even though I've taken such a circuitous route, medicine is really where I've always belonged. I'll have a very strong letter from my graduate advisor and a 3.9 from my course work there, though I know graduate GPAs don't count. I'll also have a strong letter from the MD who ran the first lab I worked in, who is well known and respected in her field. If I rock the MCAT (37? 39? my verbal is already a 15) will I get in somewhere? And should I really put off getting married until after I apply? I've heard that a married 30yr old female will be looked at with hesitation because of the whole "will she have a baby and quit?" thing. Sorry for the extremely long post. I'm just starting this process and have a lot of concerns to sort through. . ..

Members don't see this ad.

Your post makes me think "No, there is too much. Let me sum up. Buttercup is marry' Humperdinck in a little less than half an hour. So all we have to do is get in, break up the wedding, steal the princess, make our escape... after I kill Count Rugen."

Ok
Sum up: UG cGPA 3.27 (low) Grad GPA 3.9 (good but not always considered) MCAT=unknown
Work history= great
problems=UG cGPA... what's the science GPA?

In short, no your work experience won't count against you. Most of it was in research which counts as a plus, not a minus. I am sure there are plenty of people on here who are going to med school with non-science sales jobs... it's no big deal... If I were you I'd start taking some UG classes to try to get the GPA up...

Thanks for the response-
but more undergrad classes? really? A few of my graduate classes were 400 level classes with advanced undergrads and they felt like a joke at that point. I have friends who did their harder science prereqs at other schools after graduating, got some easy As, and it worked, but I've taken all the prereqs, so it seems crazy to pay thousands of dollars for what may be a small GPA bump. Would a solid MCAT balance out the GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response-
but more undergrad classes? really? A few of my graduate classes were 400 level classes with advanced undergrads and they felt like a joke at that point. I have friends who did their harder science prereqs at other schools after graduating, got some easy As, and it worked, but I've taken all the prereqs, so it seems crazy to pay thousands of dollars for what may be a small GPA bump. Would a solid MCAT balance out the GPA?

If you think that undergrad would be too boring, it's not unheard of to get in with you gpa. The problem is that your current gpa puts the odds against you and if you have any preference for location or region it puts the odds against you even more. If you can bear the thought of not getting in the first attempt it might be a risk worth taking. If you don't get in I think you would be a perfect candidate for an smp. You'd brushing med school type classes and many of them have a linkage.

Good luck with everything. I do think that if your schedule is not completely full over the next year with app improving activities, it would be silly not to take a few upper level courses. If they are an easy A thats a good thing.

I think realistically I could take at most 3 classes over the next year. With 72 credits in bcpm already, a 4.0 in those would bump me from 3.24 to 3.35. Worth it? My graduate bcpm is 26 credits at 3.93- so sad I can't just include that. .. I don't really understand why those 400 level classes, taken with some undergrads in them, don't get included in calculations. Trust me, the class average was NOT an A. ..

I would do 4 upper division courses in a year just to show you didn't get the 3.9 Grad as a grade inflation deal. Other than that, rock the MCAT and apply. You are very non-trad, so they will consider your application differently than the kid that just graduated with the 3.27 or 3.35.

Your post makes me think "No, there is too much. Let me sum up. Buttercup is marry' Humperdinck in a little less than half an hour. So all we have to do is get in, break up the wedding, steal the princess, make our escape... after I kill Count Rugen."..

My name is Inigo Montoya; you killed my father; prepare to die.

I think realistically I could take at most 3 classes over the next year. With 72 credits in bcpm already, a 4.0 in those would bump me from 3.24 to 3.35. Worth it? My graduate bcpm is 26 credits at 3.93- so sad I can't just include that. .. I don't really understand why those 400 level classes, taken with some undergrads in them, don't get included in calculations. Trust me, the class average was NOT an A. ..

It's not only about your gpa. Post bacc does increase your ugpa, but it is also seen separately and shows the upward trend. Getting those 4000 courses counted as undergrad may be possible, but someone else will have to comment on that.

I've heard that a married 30yr old female will be looked at with hesitation because of the whole "will she have a baby and quit?" thing.

Just wanted to address this. Being married should not affect your chances of being accepted! I don't know who told you this but it just isn't true. I've met many married med students. I've especially noticed this in DO programs where the incoming student age is slighter older (on average) and many students have families.

I believe the consensus is that you should avoid discussing family planning if possible during a med school interview. Usually Adcoms don't bring it up unless you do. I've heard exceptions but have no experience with it. No one ever asked me about my relationship status.

Your post makes me think "No, there is too much. Let me sum up. Buttercup is marry' Humperdinck in a little less than half an hour. So all we have to do is get in, break up the wedding, steal the princess, make our escape... after I kill Count Rugen."

My name is Inigo Montoya; you killed my father; prepare to die.

You're both awesome. I use the Inigo Montoya line frequently and completely at random.

Also, iocane powder ftw!

By all means you have a chance and should go for it. I am in my mid thirties and applied this cycle and, fortunately, was successful. My stats were not all that different from yours. Prior to my post bac program I had a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and a math/science GPA of 1.7 (pretty impressive I know- this is what happens when your math classes are early and you don't bother to go). I completed a post bac program with a 3.9 which brought my overall GPA up to about 3.3 and my science GPA to 3.5. My work background until my mid twenties was focused on one goal that did not work out for medical reasons and I have spent the last 8 years in sales in the construction industry. I scored well on the MCAT (34Q) and when all was said and done I received interviews at 5 allopathic schools and was accepted at 4 of them with one waitlist.

As far as I can tell the keys for you will be similiar to mine. Your post grad education shows a strong upward trend which will be noticed, especially with a significant portion of your classes being upper level undergrad. A strong MCAT will be very important. Your essay will be a major factor in whether you get interview invites. I had several adcom members tell me in the interview that the essay really captured their attention. Be prepared for the question "why medicine" because your work history shows a lot of variety and the big question in adcom's minds will be whether this is what you really want or can you just not find anything else.
Also, be prepared to discuss how your experience has developed the core character traits that they are looking for. Keep in mind that all of the discussion of the important extracurriculars is not about those activities explicitly but more about what they mean. Adcoms are looking for applicants with leadership skills, communication skills, compassion, and an understanding of what the practice of medicine is really like. I personally feel that non traditionals have a leg up in this aspect of the process because most of us have real world experience demosntarting these characteristics. One of the biggest complaints I have heard from experienced doctors about recent grads is that "they just don't know how to talk to people". Don't sell your sales experience short- if you have been at all successful in this role then you bring this vital skill to the table at a level far beyond the average recent college graduate. As far as my extracurriculars I had well less than 100 hours in clinical volunteering/shadowing, but through my work experience I could discuss the attributes that they were looking for that would normally be demonstrated through the "standard" extracurriculars that everyone normally talks about on these forums.

As far as the personal/family life I would not sweat it. I discussed in all of my interviews my family situation (married with 3 kids one of which is a newborn) and it apparently had no negaitve effect on my application.

By all means you have a chance and should go for it. I am in my mid thirties and applied this cycle and, fortunately, was successful. My stats were not all that different from yours. Prior to my post bac program I had a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and a math/science GPA of 1.7 (pretty impressive I know- this is what happens when your math classes are early and you don't bother to go). I completed a post bac program with a 3.9 which brought my overall GPA up to about 3.3 and my science GPA to 3.5. My work background until my mid twenties was focused on one goal that did not work out for medical reasons and I have spent the last 8 years in sales in the construction industry. I scored well on the MCAT (34Q) and when all was said and done I received interviews at 5 allopathic schools and was accepted at 4 of them with one waitlist.

As far as I can tell the keys for you will be similiar to mine. Your post grad education shows a strong upward trend which will be noticed, especially with a significant portion of your classes being upper level undergrad. A strong MCAT will be very important. Your essay will be a major factor in whether you get interview invites. I had several adcom members tell me in the interview that the essay really captured their attention. Be prepared for the question "why medicine" because your work history shows a lot of variety and the big question in adcom's minds will be whether this is what you really want or can you just not find anything else.
Also, be prepared to discuss how your experience has developed the core character traits that they are looking for. Keep in mind that all of the discussion of the important extracurriculars is not about those activities explicitly but more about what they mean. Adcoms are looking for applicants with leadership skills, communication skills, compassion, and an understanding of what the practice of medicine is really like. I personally feel that non traditionals have a leg up in this aspect of the process because most of us have real world experience demosntarting these characteristics. One of the biggest complaints I have heard from experienced doctors about recent grads is that "they just don't know how to talk to people". Don't sell your sales experience short- if you have been at all successful in this role then you bring this vital skill to the table at a level far beyond the average recent college graduate. As far as my extracurriculars I had well less than 100 hours in clinical volunteering/shadowing, but through my work experience I could discuss the attributes that they were looking for that would normally be demonstrated through the "standard" extracurriculars that everyone normally talks about on these forums.

As far as the personal/family life I would not sweat it. I discussed in all of my interviews my family situation (married with 3 kids one of which is a newborn) and it apparently had no negaitve effect on my application.

Great post

And should I really put off getting married until after I apply? I've heard that a married 30yr old female will be looked at with hesitation because of the whole "will she have a baby and quit?" thing.

This might have been the case 25 years ago when women were grilled about how they planned to juggle family and career at their interviews. There is no place on the apps where you indicate marital status and I doubt it would come up at an interview unless you brought it up. Also, being unmarried sure doesn't prevent you from having kids.