Do I still have a viable chance of getting into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sodapressing467

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a second semester sophomore, and only recently have been taken with the idea of pursuing psychiatry (I am a psychology major). I haven't taken any heavy scientific courses just yet (taking Biology next semester) and am just kind of apprehensive about if I can handle it...I heard Organic Chemistry is a mother! I know med schools require a certain amount of courses from each of the sciences. I want to make sure I have a thorough understanding of the material and plenty of study time for the MCAT, but with the way things are looking now, I would be taking the MCAT probably my senior year without having organic chemistry under my belt...my gpa is a 4.0 right now though. Do you guys think I can do it? Thank you so much to whoever answers :)

Members don't see this ad.

So I am a second semester sophomore, and only recently have been taken with the idea of pursuing psychiatry (I am a psychology major). I haven't taken any heavy scientific courses just yet (taking Biology next semester) and am just kind of apprehensive about if I can handle it...I heard Organic Chemistry is a mother! I know med schools require a certain amount of courses from each of the sciences. I want to make sure I have a thorough understanding of the material and plenty of study time for the MCAT, but with the way things are looking now, I would be taking the MCAT probably my senior year without having organic chemistry under my belt...my gpa is a 4.0 right now though. Do you guys think I can do it? Thank you so much to whoever answers :)

No.

Your GPA's a 4.0 and you're not sure whether you have a chance?

:troll:

If you're serious, just take it and do well. As long as it's above 3.7, you're good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response! I'm not totally worried about my gpa, just mainly about the MCAT. Over this upcoming summer I'm volunteering with my local hospital to see if the medical field is something I really want to strive for. I'll take an extra year or semester if I have to!

we don't know who you are so therefore a definite answer can not be given, since you have a 4.0 GPA I would have to say NO

jk

semi serious since you have to ask anonymous strangers whether or not you can succeed good luck

lol yes but don't come back like a little baby when you drop that 4.0 - it happens to everyone. good luck

Do we think if you can do it? Well, I'm guessing most us don't know your work ethic, determination, motivation etc. If this is something that you really want to do then you will make it happen.

Good luck and keep working hard.

So I am assuming that this spring will be your second semester of your sophomore year. Is it possible? Definitely! But it depends on which MCAT you want/will take. For your MCAT you will need Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physics (algebra based is tested, but some will argue for calculus based). If you want to take your MCAT prior to the new test in 2015, get on that Chemistry right away! If it were me, I would try to get in Gen Chem 1 next semester if your school allows it. I assume you still want to keep your Psychology major and are just looking to complete the pre-reqs. Now I don't know how big your school is an what they offer in winter and summer sessions, so I will assume the worst and assume they don't offer Chem and Physics during the summer. In my experience Biology is usually offered, but then again I go to a really small public school in NY, so take it for what it's worth. So I would go something as follows-

Spring 2013- Gen Chem 1
Summer 2013- Bio 1 & 2 (if they offer it or just one if they don't offer both parts)
Fall 2013- Gen Chem 2, Physics 1
Spring 2014- Organic Chem 1, Physics 2
Fall 2014- Organic Chem 2

Now I am not 100% what month the new MCAT will start testing which I believe will test Psych/Soc and Biochem. Anybody have an answer for that?

You might be better off waiting for the new 2015 MCAT, but that's assuming you don't have science class offerings during a summer or winter session. If your college does, then more power to you! But if it comes down to trying to decide what classes to take and you have to cut one, I would personally cut the Biology since plant Bio isn't on there (to my knowledge) and I would think it would be the easiest to learn outside of class.

Just my quick thoughts, for what it's worth.

But certainly it is possible, and I am in similar shoes. I took Gen Chem 1 this past semester, taking Gen Chem 2 this Spring, Physics 1 and 2 this summer at a CC (since I go to a small school there is only one prof who teaches algebraic physics and she was terrible so I withdrew) and Organic 1&2 next school year.

Good Luck!

WC8S0.gif

Come back next year when you have some numbers we can assess. It's too early in the game.

I took the MCAT with most of Organic Chem 1 under my belt but without O chem 2 and without Biochem. I scored a 30. (keep in mind this was three years ago, I'm now an MS-3). I know they're going to be changing it up, so I'm not sure if what I say will apply to the test you take, so make sure you read through the AAMC info.

You want to have some o chem behind you before you take this test. As I recall, most of the questions were fundamentals of o chem 1 and I didn't need much o chem 2, though it would have helped I'm sure. You'll need to know basic synthesis. If you're going to attempt it with no o chem, I would at least get a good organic chemistry review book (I used one with a green and white cover, I think it was called 'Schaum's' but I'm not sure--you'll have to look up that one). In my opinion, it was doable to self-study the second half of organic after having the first semester of it.

Ideal situation, in my opinion, is you go to summer school and catch up in a few chemistry classes so you can have at least the first semester of organic chemistry under your belt before you attempt this exam. Do what you can to make this happen.

Also, make sure you have all your other prereqs done before the MCAT (ie Intro Bio, Physics 1/2, etc.)

Good for you for wanting to be a psychiatrist. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodapressing467
I would be taking the MCAT probably my senior year without having organic chemistry under my belt...

Definitely would NOT recommend this. O-chem is pretty decently represented on the MCAT. You might be able to self-study, but it's risky.

It sounds like you're taking a glide/gap year. If so, then why would you be taking the MCAT before taking Orgo?? If you're taking Orgo your senior year , then you could take the MCAT in May timeframe when you'd be almost done with Orgo II.

that said, I don't think I'd wait til spring semester senior year to do Orgo II. You'll be having senioritis at that point. Can you take Orgo I in spring of junior year and then Orgo II the next fall?