Do I transmit Step II or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

looktme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got back my step II today and unfortunately went down a lot. 237. Which is supposedly below average. I have a 252 on step 1. I'm a DO student in desperate need of more ACGME interviews, but will this be the nail in my coffin. I'm assuming it is a huge red flag, so do I re-transmit to update programs of my step II scores or will it kill my chances at programs I already have an interview with?

Members don't see this ad.

First, 237 isn't below average. It's fine. The average is like 215. 252 is awesome. 237 is very good. However, 237 is quite a bit less than 252. The trend might be concerning to some. I transmitted mine, not only because the military match required it but because my II was higher than my I. But if I were you....I don't think I would. It certainly doesn't strengthen your application. It might not hurt it, but I don't see where it adds anything. If someone asks, tell them you got a 237 but didn't submit because you thought it wouldn't strengthen your application.

I wouldn't submit it. You killed step 1. Your step 2 is still pretty strong, but it doesn't add to your app. Submit only if asked. If someone asks, send it immediately.

Don't be ashamed of that score. You still killed step 2, but not quite as much as step 1.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
First, 237 isn't below average. It's fine. The average is like 215. 252 is awesome. 237 is very good. However, 237 is quite a bit less than 252. The trend might be concerning to some. I transmitted mine, not only because the military match required it but because my II was higher than my I. But if I were you....I don't think I would. It certainly doesn't strengthen your application. It might not hurt it, but I don't see where it adds anything. If someone asks, tell them you got a 237 but didn't submit because you thought it wouldn't strengthen your application.

Step 1 national average score = 228
Step 2 national average score = 238

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure I would submit it until all the interviews are offered. You dropped >10 points on a test where most go up 10 points.

Step 1 national average score = 228
Step 2 national average score = 238

That seems a lot higher than a decade ago. Are average scores trending up?

According to this:

http://www.usmle.org/pdfs/transcripts/USMLE_Step_Examination_Score_Interpretation_Guidelines.pdf

Mean scores have gone up from 226 (2011) to 229 (2013) on Step 1 and 234 to 239 on Step 2. I'm not sure if you guys are smarter than we were, if the test is getting easier, or if people are just teaching to/studying to the test more than they used to. But those seem dramatically different from 10-15 years ago. But I suppose if it goes up 1 every year or so, then that's about right.

Wikipedia says step 1 was 221 in 2008. Grade inflation anyone?

That seems a lot higher than a decade ago. Are average scores trending up?

According to this:

http://www.usmle.org/pdfs/transcripts/USMLE_Step_Examination_Score_Interpretation_Guidelines.pdf

Mean scores have gone up from 226 (2011) to 229 (2013) on Step 1 and 234 to 239 on Step 2. I'm not sure if you guys are smarter than we were, if the test is getting easier, or if people are just teaching to/studying to the test more than they used to. But those seem dramatically different from 10-15 years ago. But I suppose if it goes up 1 every year or so, then that's about right.

Wikipedia says step 1 was 221 in 2008. Grade inflation anyone?
Its a similar phenomena you see with IQ tests (Flynn effect). Its due to increased familiarity with the type of questions asked, better resource materials for studying for it, and schools focusing more on teaching towards the test.

So I opted not to send it. A couple places asked if I took step II and I told them I did and my score. Unfortunately I'm stuck at 6 interviews and afraid if I don't submit step 2 I wont get ranked at some places, but also worried if I do submit it my rank might go down(or completely off). Thoughts???

I can understand why you would be concerned about this. How many of the six programs you've interviewed with require Step 2 score for placing you on the rank list?

Samir Desai

I can understand why you would be concerned about this. How many of the six programs you've interviewed with require Step 2 score for placing you on the rank list?

Samir Desai

I haven't asked.

At places where you've interviewed, I would be surprised if your position on the rank order list went down if you disclosed this score. Although your Step 2 CK score is lower than your Step 1 score, it's still a good score and not one that would concern most EM programs. Take a look at NRMP data which will back this up (Charting Outcomes and Program Director Survey). That said, you don't have to disclose unless the program won't rank you without this information. With only 6 interviews under your belt, you want to make sure that you end up on the rank order list at all these places.

For programs that you're still hoping to get interviews at, it's a bit of a different story. Some programs won't interview applicants unless both scores are disclosed. As we get into the final stretch of the residency interview season, there will be lots of cancellations, and you could be slotted for some of these positions. Hope it works out for you.

Samir Desai

IMO:
There are two mistakes applicants make when it comes to step 2. 1) Not taking step 2 because they did well on step 1. 2) Not submitting a passing score on step 2.

There are programs that will NOT rank you at all if you don't have a passing step 2. I would rather a program drop me a few spots on a rank list vs a program not rank me at all.

Obviously people have different opinions. In the end, unless you have inside scoop on a program's rank process, you won't ever know how a program will react to either option.

Great points by barnacle. Some programs are transparent with respect to their Step 2 CK policy, and you'll see it on their website. Others will share it with you if you communicate with them. Some may not. What I tell my students is to start researching programs of interest during the third year of medical school. For each program, look at the website and see what it says about requiring Step 2 CK for interview or ranking. If nothing is written, contact the program coordinator for the info. Once you've done this for a good number of programs, you'll be better able to make decisions regarding when to take the Step 2 CK and disclosing results.