Do med schools accept introduction to bio chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

listener23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last fall I took introduction to biochemistry instead of biochemistry 1? It was a 300 level course. Do med-school accept that?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the school and the specifics of the class. I've seen some schools that state that they do not accept introductory biochem courses. At the same time, one of those schools accepted my intro to biochem course. I've heard as long as organic chemistry is a pre-requisite for the class it should be fine. Best bet, though, is to ask the schools directly.

You should speak to your advisor, they should know the answer to that.

Last fall I took introduction to biochemistry instead of biochemistry 1? It was a 300 level course. Do med-school accept that?
Maybe...

Adcoms won't be too particular on that because different schools have different numbering systems.

Your 300 level could be my 200 level for example, or your 300 level could be my 400 level.

Take the highest one you can for your major just for better preparation.

Most do I think. But then our intro to biochem wasn't so much an "intro" as it combined biochem I and biochem II into one semester. Obviously it wasn't quite as in depth, but a lot of students that I talked to when I showed them the amount of material per tests, stated that it actually seemed harder.

I think a number of schools with the biochem requirement also state that it could be something equivalent, with an explanation from your school or something like that?

Probably. From a med school pov I doubt they would ever know the difference considering UG schools have very different numbering and naming systems for their classes