DO DO only, low MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BJJ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for taking a look and chancing me.

AACOMAS GPA: cGPA: 3.5 sGPA: 3.47 MCAT: P:7 V:8 B: 9 (24)

I am rescheduled to take my MCAT in January 2015. I did not study for my MCAT as I decided to take it late and just go ahead apply this cycle and see what happens. During undergraduate I was a gen chem tutor and majored in biology. I didn't know a single thing about physics which I am planning on correcting for my retake. I also did a handful of verbal practice sections beforehand as well.

All I'm looking for is to get some IIs. I have pretty decent interviewing skills, so I just want to land an II and I think I can work with something from there.

ECs are pretty good. I've volunteered at a local hospital for 115 hours. Volunteer tutor. I held officer positions with PreSOMA and another pre med group. I've been an ED scribe for over 2.5 years total (>2000 hours). I was also able to land 2 DO LORs.

The one thing though is I only have 1 science faculty LOR. I even have a non science LOR, but my planned 2nd science LOR fell through. I will be able to get one for next cycle, but for this cycle I will have to make due with 1 sci LOR, 2 DO lor, and 1 non sci LOR. As a result the schools I'm applying to is limited and not very in range of my MCAT.

My schools:

ATSU- SOMA (secondary sent)
ATSU- KCOM (secondary sent)
MWU- AZCOM (secondary received)
MWU- CCOM (secondary received)
VCOM (all 3 campuses)
KCUMB (doing secondary now)
MSUCOM (decided not to do a secondary)
WVSOM (secondary sent)
WU COMP- (doing secondary now)

I'm really hoping to get into VCOM or WVSOM. I'm of asian descent and a virginia resident.

Members don't see this ad.

That MCAT is a tough sell, especially if you're Asian. Good luck on the retake. Study this time.

Reactions: 1 user
don't waste money submitting the secondary from mwu-az or mwu-chicago because both places will waitlist you anyway. I suggest you add william carey and marian

Members don't see this ad :)
good call on msucom, they will reject you

don't waste money submitting the secondary from mwu-az or mwu-chicago because both places will waitlist you anyway. I suggest you add william carey and marian

Looks like both of those schools require 2 science faculty LORs. Unfortunately I only have one so far this cycle.

A few of the new and low tier DO schools have a median MCAT of 24 to 25 for their matriculating classes so do not give up hope. You could add William Carey, Marian, Campbell, UP-KYCOM, Rocky Vista, LUCOM, ACOM and LMU-DCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like both of those schools require 2 science faculty LORs. Unfortunately I only have one so far this cycle.

I suggest you contact the schools on Faha's list and explain your situation, ask if they can make an exception for you. I do know of people who they have made exceptions to in the past.

I suggest you contact the schools on Faha's list and explain your situation, ask if they can make an exception for you. I do know of people who they have made exceptions to in the past.

Thanks for your suggestion. Anything the people you knew mentioned when contacting schools that can help me out?

Thanks for your suggestion. Anything the people you knew mentioned when contacting schools that can help me out?

before you call or email the school, you should know why you want to attend the school. You should let the school know that you're not just going to take their interview invite and then end up rejecting their acceptance. Give them concrete reasons why you want to attend their school and mention it in the communication.