Do people on SDN lie?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillinillinkillin007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a lurker and then a member for a while, and I'm starting to get the impression that a lot of people on this forum lie about their grades, EC's, work hours, and a bunch of other stuff. For example its not that uncommon when someone posts "I'm taking 20 credits, working 40 hours a week, volunteering 10 hours a week, getting published this semester, and studying for the MCAT and still have a fun social life".

And a lot of people are hostile and negative toward applicants with below a 30 MCAT or below a 3.5 GPA and state that they will receive no success during their application process. All GPA's are not created equal, all majors are not created equal, and all personal statements are not created equal. Also, this whole ideology of needing "volunteer work", I've seen many friends accepted recently without any sort of volunteer work. In other words what's with all the negativity and lying on this website?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sure people lie/exaggerate/make stuff up everywhere.

But, on the MCAT note, its probably not good to be hostile towards people with sub 30 MCAT, but anything below 30 is a pretty low score.

Depends...do you really think I am Aubrey?

5298c95068107b80af868c34de7febdb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Patients lie, parents lie, even our students and faculty lie. We love them anyway.
As long as the lie doesn't hurt people, we forgive them. Even if it does, we do what is necessary to keep the harm from hurting people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 users
I never lie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
Of course we are the biggest hoax in the history of pre-med :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone tells the truth on SDN.... everyone except me

i don't even actually know how to medicine i just internet

Reactions: 13 users
I've been a lurker and then a member for a while, and I'm starting to get the impression that a lot of people on this forum lie about their grades, EC's, work hours, and a bunch of other stuff. For example its not that uncommon when someone posts "I'm taking 20 credits, working 40 hours a week, volunteering 10 hours a week, getting published this semester, and studying for the MCAT and still have a fun social life".

And a lot of people are hostile and negative toward applicants with below a 30 MCAT or below a 3.5 GPA and state that they will receive no success during their application process. All GPA's are not created equal, all majors are not created equal, and all personal statements are not created equal. Also, this whole ideology of needing "volunteer work", I've seen many friends accepted recently without any sort of volunteer work. In other words what's with all the negativity and lying on this website?
To answer your question, yes people lie on SDN sometimes. They are what we like to call "trolls." But volunteer work and other ECs are important. Of my friends and classmates who applied, the ones who have been the most successful have a lot of ECs, while the ones with similar numbers but less ECs are struggling a bit more. And we all know that people get into med school all the time with <30 MCAT and/or <3.5 GPA, but it is not as common and with those situations n=1 more than ever, so it is better to give those applicants a dose of reality than make them hopelessly optimistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's the internet. Without the brake of having a live person in front of you, people act out in ways they normally wouldn't.

A lot of ignorance motivates many of the comments.

Concerning volunteer work, I've seen too many posts from high stats people here who reported being rejected due to a lack of ECs. At my school, if you don't have patient volunteer work, you're rejected, period. I don't know, maybe you're testing us with a lie???
Also, this whole ideology of needing "volunteer work", I've seen many friends accepted recently without any sort of volunteer work.

It's the internet. Without the brake of having a live person in front of you, people act out in ways they normally wouldn't.

Concerning volunteer work, I've seen too many posts from high stats people here who reported being rejected due to a lack of ECs. At my school, if you don't have patient volunteer work, you're rejected, period. I don't know, maybe you're testing us with a lie???
Also, this whole ideology of needing "volunteer work", I've seen many friends accepted recently without any sort of volunteer work.

Actually, I know it's not common, but I have a couple of friends who got accepted to really good schools with very minimal volunteer work. I suppose that's not the same as zero volunteer work, and my friends were lucky, but I can see how people with little community service/volunteering experience can get into medical school.

Actually, I know it's not common, but I have a couple of friends who got accepted to really good schools with very minimal volunteer work. I suppose that's not the same as zero volunteer work, and my friends were lucky, but I can see how people with little community service/volunteering experience can get into medical school.
It's possibe to get an acceptance with a small number of hours, but it is definitely the exception to the rule. These friends of yours must necessarily have other parts of their apps to make up for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think there are enough people that will lie to get a rise out of whoever posts in response that it doesn't matter. Just spread good information around and even if the 'troll/liar' doesn't benefit from it people who read the thread and or comment asking questions about the advice benefit. I've learned a lot by this

I had pretty minimal volunteer work, but I had a lot of work experience in healthcare, so it kind of worked out. There were some very volunteer focused schools that never got back to me though (MSUCOM, PCOM) so it definitely hurt my app.

I never lie about my stats or my history. Sometimes I'll push views I don't believe in to play devil's advocate during arguments, but that's about it.

I won't say that I've lied, but I've been unspecific about stats and other potentially identifying info. I don't have any illusions about being truly anonymous, but I figure that having some degree of deniability doesn't hurt.

Some people are naturally inclined to excessive honesty. Others couldn't tell the truth if they wanted. On the internet, they are not easy to distinguish... except that the honest people will tend to have a consistent story over time, even if few details are kept vague.

I won't say that I've lied, but I've been unspecific about stats and other potentially identifying info. I don't have any illusions about being truly anonymous, but I figure that having some degree of deniability doesn't hurt.

Some people are naturally inclined to excessive honesty. Others couldn't tell the truth if they wanted. On the internet, they are not easy to distinguish... except that the honest people will tend to have a consistent story over time, even if few details are kept vague.
You're a bit easier to pick out than, say, Generic South Asian #334 with a 3.8 34 MCAT. Protecting yourself from identification just makes sense.

I'm ok with people lying on SDN. I'll get over it. I mean, really, who of us takes everything on here at face value. We can tell who they are, we brand them as trolls, and send them back into their caves.

What I have a real issue with is people who lie on their application. I sincerely hope that those people get outed and blacklisted. As far as I'm concerned, put them in the same pile as those who decline an acceptance.

On principle, I'm really honest on here. Perhaps a little too much so, but we're all striving for the same goal- I don't see a reason to lie to any of you.

I have a bit of a naivete, though. I know people lie, and that's their business, but I come here knowing I don't have all the answers, and you all can't help me unless you know what's going on. And I expect the same honesty if you're asking for help.

Again, I'm an optimist and naive, so that may be just me.

Of course some users lie; some do it to troll, some for other reasons.

However, I believe (as its commonly believed) that the average SDN user probably does have pretty impressive stats/accomplishments. It appears to me that many of the pre-meds with very low gpa/MCATs etc. are not likely to even consider looking for further information on how competitive they are/how to improve - hence the "Funny things pre meds say" thread and their lack of representation on SDN.

Reactions: 12 users
More like people who have things to brag about will brag to anyone and everyone. No one who does poorly is keen to tell people that they didn't do well

Reactions: 6 users
More like people who have things to brag about will brag to anyone and everyone. No one who does poorly is keen to tell people that they didn't do well
Unless they have a severe lack of self awareness and/or a lack of understanding of how they measure up to their peers. Hence, the funny quotes thread filled with people gunning for HMS with 2.8 GPAs and ECs.

Additionally, there are those who measure their academic numbers against the average college student, so they will be proud of their 3.1 and, while that's a decent GPA considering the average, it's not something to be bragging about in a population like SDN.

I do not lie (much/often) for several reasons: 1. its bad for my soul 2. on an internet forum, there is literally no point except to inflate the ego - but if the ego knows its being inflated by lies then the true self feels very small and bad b/c it knows the ego is being built on lies. So, there is no point to lying. 3. it's hard to keep lies straight 4. read a book by brad blanton called "radical honesty." Life is easier when you're honest.

Also, there have been times where I was working (or at least being paid for) ~55-60 hours/week, volunteering 10-15 hours/week (thanks to overnight shifts on the crisis line), taking full-time course load (and maintaining 4.0), and also being published. However those months sucked and def was not studying for MCAT or having any sort of social life...

Reactions: 1 users
Yes people lie. I saw that Hopkins posted a facebook status that mentioned that several current applicants will email them saying something like they got a 40 on the MCAT (to try to get an interview) when they really got a 30. And these are applicants have easily verifiable stats.

There's also a huge selection bias. Look at any MCAT thread; people who never posted before will have their first post stating they got a 35 or whatever. It beats me why anyone would do that other than insecurity.

I started my pre-med track after reading a lot on SDN. I went through freshman year thinking I had to be God to get into medical school (neurotic premed). Now I ha

Go ahead and apply with no volunteer work. I know a junior in high school who already has 500 hours at the local hospial. I want to apply with 600. Moreover, with the emergence of the BS-MD programs, the leftovers who don't make the cut are basically cream of the crop already going into undergrad. Competition grows more and more every year.

Some people's face when reading this thread lol.

you-really-think-someone-would-do-that-just-lie-on-the-internet.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
when people look for advice ("3.2, paramedic, 27 mcat" etc) they probably mostly tell the truth because lying would not benefit them in any way.

But I think people are more likely to lie about their experience ("I have a friend who..." or "I heard from the dean that...") in order to win more arguments. It's weird but if you read some longer threads, some people's stories really don't make much sense.

And a lot of people are hostile and negative toward applicants with below a 30 MCAT or below a 3.5 GPA and state that they will receive no success during their application process.

Giving a realistic but negative account for someone's prospect =/= being hostile. People don't take constructive criticism well. High or low stats alike.

Also, this whole ideology of needing "volunteer work",

Medicine needs people who "want to" volunteer and "want to" make sacrifices without expecting a lot in return. As a matter of fact, they'd prefer that you don't do it if it's not out of genuine desire. A lot of the effort in admission goes into figuring out who's doing the stuff as a cookie cutter and who's the real altruistic one.

If you don't feel like doing some work to improve the lives of others for free, then don't do it. But at the same time, don't expect to get into med school or earn the privilege and respect of being a member of a service profession.

Reactions: 4 users
Just to be clear, are people referring to clinical or non-clinical volunteering when they say "volunteer work". Because I sure hope med schools aren't admitting applicants with no clinical experience whatsoever...

But I think people are more likely to lie about their experience ("I have a friend who..." or "I heard from the dean that...") in order to win more arguments. It's weird but if you read some longer threads, some people's stories really don't make much sense.

I agree with the idea here, that when people are arguing a point, there can be a motivation to lie or embellish.

On the other hand, I am someone who often has wild stories that start with "I know someone who..." or "One time on the med/surg nursing floor..." I have several years of clinical experience to draw from. Sometimes people really do have a lot of life experience or know a lot of people who do. Again, look for trends over time.

As for tall tales about how much one can get done in a day, sometimes they are also true, but there are usually unspoken caveats. I needed to take 32 credits worth of pre-reqs, which I did at a community college. I figured that while I was at it, I would go ahead and do a little more to earn an extra A.S. degree. So the brag is that I completed a two year degree in under 1 calendar year, while working 40-50 hours per week and studying for the MCAT.

What I don't always take time to explain is that I earned 30% of the credits through CLEP exams that I didn't need to study for, because I was already proficient in those subjects (English, math, social sciences), and that MCAT studying overlapped with learning the material for the pre-req courses, and that I sometimes had downtime at work when I could study. Also, 24-36 hours of my work schedule happened as 12 hour shifts on weekends, meaning that I only had to fit in two to three 8-hour days during the week. Add in that I don't get out a lot and that I'm a terrible housekeeper and my brag becomes totally possible.

Yes, everyone except me.

I know for me personally, SDN has been utterly invaluable. I go to a school with very few pre-medical students, and as a result, there is a major lack of resources available on campus for those interested in medicine. I have learned everything that I know about the medical school admissions process from this forum, and I am beyond grateful for all of the posters who made that a possibility. As a result, I feel obligated to pay it forward to those who are now standing where I was when I stumbled upon SDN -- lost, confused, unsure, and naive about how to pursue their dreams of being a physician.

I have never once lied about anything on here or MDApps. In order for these resources to be as helpful as possible, they must be accurate, so I am contributing to what I hope is a vast amount of truthful information that future applicants can peruse to have a greater understanding of the admissions process and applicant pool. Of course, this does result in me having a startling lack of anonymity, but I think it's worth it if the stats and ECs and descriptions that I've provided are useful to anyone. Like I said, I would absolutely not, by any stretch of the imagination, be where I am right now without others having shared their stories and experiences on a public forum. I'm happy to do the same.

Edit: Crap. I realised that my MDApps is mildly inaccurate... Home state is not Yukon, and I don't go to Hogwarts for undergrad (shocker, right?). Those are all my secrets, though :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users

No he isn't...... I knew a few (only in passing). Asked them some questions and they didn't volunteer at all. Top 10 school 3.8+ GPA and a high MCAT. Doubt someone with average stats could pull that off though.

Yes, people lie. No, not all of us do. I am very open and honest about my application and myself, which destroys my anonymity but I couldn't care less about that. IMO, it is always better to be honest with yourself and others because lying will eventually get you into trouble.

Reactions: 3 users
I do a bad job lying............. sometimes I can't accept praise (if I don't feel I've earned it).... I'm not honest Abe but...... I just have problems lying.... I think most of us don't wan't to... The closest I come to lying is not responding or partial responses... Some of you could probably figure out exactly who I am at this point.

The only people on SDN who don't lie are the gunners, right?

People lie to your face and people lie on the internet. As with everything, use your sense. If you see something said by a lot of people consistently, and it it seems to make sense, it's more likely to be true. If you see only a vocal handful citing anecdotes that flies against what seems reasonable or what seems to be reported by the vast majority, it's less likely to be true. I actually have stated multiple times that SDN is a bimodal population. There are a lot of people here with intense stats seeking to get into multiple top schools. Then you have the population who have serious "damage control" that just want to get into a school. Both are motivated to research everything they can to figure out how the system works, thus why they show up on SDN. The bros in the middle aren't as represented because their applications are strong enough that they think they'll probably get in somewhere, but they're not so anal about it that they must do everything to maximize their chances.

Also, sometimes people simply don't want to accept that there are people out there with ridiculous applications. Some of it is fake, and trolls are pretty easy to identify, but from seeing a lot of top applicants, I can tell you that most of it is real. Resist the temptation of feeling you need to compare yourself constantly to every applicant, but also resist the temptation to degrade or discredit the applications of others to make yourself feel better.

I also call BS on frequent claims that SDN is hostile to people with low stats. Actually look at the WAMC forum (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/what-are-my-chances.418/) and you'll note that the majority are not people with Star Wars numbers. Most of them are people that are non trads or have low GPAs or MCAT scores. Rather than tell applicants they have no chance, applicants here are frequently told not to lose hope and to do X, Y, and Z to best improve their chances. Sometimes the advice isn't want people want to hear. "Take a year off to strengthen your chances." Does that mean you don't have a chance? No, you could get in, not even adcoms can 100% predict who will get into their own school. But given the success of previous applicants, you're in danger of not getting in, and that's a lot of money and time to burn when you could take a year to strengthen your application and apply (without the added complications of being designated a "reapplicant").

Basically people need to use their brains and know what they're reading. This is a place where people try to share the wisdom of what works best. Some people get in that no one expected, some people get rejected that no one expected, but for the most part, the advice here is quite good and has successfully guided people to successful application seasons. It's not magic, it's just what happens when you get enough people who share information about the process and successes from the perspective of applicants, medical students, doctors, and adcoms. None of us have crystal balls and sometimes we'll be wrong.

Reactions: 10 users
"People with Star Wars numbers" hahahahaha

God has blessed this forum and no one shall lie, yet they still might be mistaken, misinformed, etc.

The following is about the SAT, but may extend to all standardized tests:

I am reading SONIA SOTOMAYOR's biography right now. (She's the first U.S. Supreme Court Justice of Hispanic Heritage.) I quote from page 39,

"I [Sonia Sotomayor] was accepted rather readily at Princeton and equally as fast at Yale. But my test scores were not comparable to that of my classmates and that's been shown by statistics there are reasons for that, there are cultural biases built into testing..."

"The question of whether the SAT is a fair predictor of college performance has been studied for decades. Many colleges made the test optional in the 1990s after considering that it denied equal opportunities to minorities and low-income students, and in 2001, University of California President Richard C. Atkinson recommended that the universities in his system drop the SAT requirement due to the advantages he believed it gave higher-income students. The fact that 12-year-old children in private schools were already studying verbal analogies to prepare for the SAT, he said, gave them a distinct advantage over low-income students who could not afford private school or tutoring..." "[Roy Freedle added,] ...the easier questions used common words that may have a different meaning in minority neighborhoods."

Last edited:
I retroactively lie. In threads where I volunteer a bit more about myself than I would like I go back and delete or change information in order to maintain anonimity. I don't lie about my grades or ECs because I don't see the point. I would hesitate to call myself unique but it is rather obvious what school I go (luckily this school has so many premeds there is little that distinguishes me from the bunch). My nationality + what my research is about would probably be enough to pick me out from the thousands of premeds here, however, if one were clever, bored, and wanted to find me.

I retroactively lie. In threads where I volunteer a bit more about myself than I would like I go back and delete or change information in order to maintain anonimity. I don't lie about my grades or ECs because I don't see the point. I would hesitate to call myself unique but it is rather obvious what school I go (luckily this school has so many premeds there is little that distinguishes me from the bunch). My nationality + what my research is about would probably be enough to pick me out from the thousands of premeds here, however, if one were clever, bored, and wanted to find me.
GAME ON
No, but what if I sent you a link with your Facebook account and other personals lol.