Do remedial maths count as sGPA? College Algebra? What about internships through my biology department listed "BIOL" course codes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cemetra

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Similar questions have been asked, but I keep finding conflicting answers. I also tried looking through AMCAS material and also could not find the answer.

I graduated high school with a horrible GPA and didn't plan to go to college. Because of this, I had to take many remedial math courses once deciding to go back to college years later. I know these count towards cumulative GPA. My confusion is on if they count for sGPA or cGPA since they are remedial.

Can someone please tell me if the following courses are considered sGPA?

MAT 0099 - Principles of Algebra (yes, it says "MAT" instead of "MATH")
MATH 1001 - Quantitative Skills and Reasoning
MATH 1111 - College Algebra
From there, it goes onto Pre-Calc and beyond, which counts towards sGPA

Finally, for my degree, I took two internships. They are listed as "BIOL 4100", so through the biology department. Do these count for sGPA? I have seen where some people have said research counts, but not much about internships. I'm unsure if it would count for AMCAS or AACOM.

This is kind of a big deal for me because it's an extra 15 credit hours of A's that could help my sGPA.

Members don't see this ad.

Similar questions have been asked, but I keep finding conflicting answers. I also tried looking through AMCAS material and also could not find the answer.

I graduated high school with a horrible GPA and didn't plan to go to college. Because of this, I had to take many remedial math courses once deciding to go back to college years later. I know these count towards cumulative GPA. My confusion is on if they count for sGPA or cGPA since they are remedial.

Can someone please tell me if the following courses are considered sGPA?

MAT 0099 - Principles of Algebra (yes, it says "MAT" instead of "MATH")
MATH 1001 - Quantitative Skills and Reasoning
MATH 1111 - College Algebra
From there, it goes onto Pre-Calc and beyond, which counts towards sGPA

Finally, for my degree, I took two internships. They are listed as "BIOL 4100", so through the biology department. Do these count for sGPA? I have seen where some people have said research counts, but not much about internships. I'm unsure if it would count for AMCAS or AACOM.

This is kind of a big deal for me because it's an extra 15 credit hours of A's that could help my sGPA.
Your math classes will count in your comprehensive GPA and in the BCPM GPA (Bio, Chem, Physics, Math) GPA.
Engineering classes, for some reason, don't count in BCPM.
Maybe that MAT 0999 class will not be considered college level.
Good luck!

The MAT 0099 class was taken at a technical college. The rest were for undergrad and toward my bachelor's degree in biology. I know that doesn't make a difference in cumulative GPA but unsure about sGPA for that specific class.

Do you know about internships? They were both through the biology department and contain "BIOL" course codes, but I don't know if they're considered sciences. I've seen some people say a MATH or BIOL course code implies sGPA, while others have said it's based on context. I took two of those, so 6 extra hours of A's would be nice to count if possible but understandable if not.

Members don't see this ad :)
The MAT 0099 class was taken at a technical college. The rest were for undergrad and toward my bachelor's degree in biology. I know that doesn't make a difference in cumulative GPA but unsure about sGPA for that specific class.

Do you know about internships? They were both through the biology department and contain "BIOL" course codes, but I don't know if they're considered sciences. I've seen some people say a MATH or BIOL course code implies sGPA, while others have said it's based on context. I took two of those, so 6 extra hours of A's would be nice to count if possible but understandable if not.
According to the AMCAS guide they should be counted as upper division BIO courses
Here's last year's guide https://students-residents.aamc.org/media/11616/download
Pages 25-31 are the relevant ones
On page 27 it lists the kinds of schools that won't count (vocational, career & training schools are listed) so I think that describes your technical college class.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the clarification! Now my only concern is that they have the same course code, although they were taken two separate times. So, one class was BIOL 4100 and the other was also BIOL 4100. A's in both. I'm hoping this doesn't become an issue when trying to count them separately, though.

Thank you for the clarification! Now my only concern is that they have the same course code, although they were taken two separate times. So, one class was BIOL 4100 and the other was also BIOL 4100. A's in both. I'm hoping this doesn't become an issue when trying to count them separately, though.
I think you can list repeat classes like this that are research, project based etc. with no issue.

Reactions: 1 users