DO residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pdesi10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to ask all of the DO students a question. I am currently applying to DO schools and I just have some questions about the residencies. I heard that MD and DO residencies are merging in the near future?? I want to practice Emergency medicine but I have heard that with a DO I would most likely end up in a very rural community and not a large city?? True or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Please stop baiting MeatTornado.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Please stop baiting MeatTornado.
To op, to skip serious conflict no it won't hurt your chances . Do well on both board exams and you'll be fine . Second of all what the hell is a meattornado ?

Reactions: 1 user
No idea man..... #meattornado

I just wanted to ask all of the DO students a question. I am currently applying to DO schools and I just have some questions about the residencies. I heard that MD and DO residencies are merging in the near future?? I want to practice Emergency medicine but I have heard that with a DO I would most likely end up in a very rural community and not a large city?? True or not?

Not true.

Who the heck told you that? As a DO some specialties can be harder to match but once you're done with residency employers don't care. A board certified DO emergency physician will have exactly the same chances of working in a big city as a board certified MD physician.

Who the heck told you that? As a DO some specialties can be harder to match but once you're done with residency employers don't care. A board certified DO emergency physician will have exactly the same chances of working in a big city as a board certified MD physician.

Not to split hairs, but for the sake of accuracy, there ARE employers (especially in highly desired metropolitan areas) that require ABMS board certification. Granted there are some places that will accept ABMS or the Osteopathic equivalent in those areas, but it should be known, that at present, some places do require ABMS. DO's who train in ACGME residencies or in dually accredited programs and choose to certify through the ABMS would be welcome apply.

Not to split hairs, but for the sake of accuracy, there ARE employers (especially in highly desired metropolitan areas) that require ABMS board certification. Granted there are some places that will accept ABMS or the Osteopathic equivalent in those areas, but it should be known, that at present, some places do require ABMS. DO's who train in ACGME residencies or in dually accredited programs and choose to certify through the ABMS would be welcome apply.

This is true. One of the best parts of the merger is that in the future, all residencies will lead to ABMS board certification.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is the roster for a level 1 trauma, large hospital, ACGME residency in Ft. Worth. I'm sure there's tons more examples, but this is the program I'm most familiar with.

http://www.jpshealthnet.org/sites/default/files/emroster_0.pdf

This doesn't address the OP's question - do AOA residencies in EM result in being cast out to the hinterlands after graduation? The answer, as others have said, is no.

It will be interesting to see what happens with post-residency licensing and CME as this is one of the main reasons I chose to go ACGME. I could not stand a future where the rest of my boards and CME talk about Chapman's points, cranial, etc. This may not be an issue in the future, but that is a long time from now...

This doesn't address the OP's question - do AOA residencies in EM result in being cast out to the hinterlands after graduation? The answer, as others have said, is no.

It will be interesting to see what happens with post-residency licensing and CME as this is one of the main reasons I chose to go ACGME. I could not stand a future where the rest of my boards and CME talk about Chapman's points, cranial, etc. This may not be an issue in the future, but that is a long time from now...

That's not how I interpreted the question. OP didn't mention anything about intending to go to an AOA program for residency.

Just a side question but what is the purpose of the merger? I know they have tried before but what was different this time ?

Roughly 10% of our class ended up in EM in the most recent match, and only a couple ended up rural. Who knows how things will turn out in the future. Only 25% ended up in osteo EM residencies, the rest went allo.

Just a side question but what is the purpose of the merger? I know they have tried before but what was different this time ?

This time the ACGME was basically threatening to close of ACGME fellowships to AOA residency grads. The AOA had no choice but to become ACGME accredited in order to keep these fellowships open to DO grads who went through an AOA residency.

This time the ACGME was basically threatening to close of ACGME fellowships to AOA residency grads. The AOA had no choice but to become ACGME accredited in order to keep these fellowships open to DO grads who went through an AOA residency.
Alright I can see why they merged now but i don't see how the aoa wins in this. Dos on sdn are saying this is a win for them but I feel like it's just submissive

Alright I can see why they merged now but i don't see how the aoa wins in this. Dos on sdn are saying this is a win for them but I feel like it's just submissive

It's a win in the fact 1) we are still eligible for ACGME fellowships and 2) standardized quality via ACGME accreditation.

That's not how I interpreted the question. OP didn't mention anything about intending to go to an AOA program for residency.

Fair enough. I misread it and then continued that misconception when I read your post. Oops.

Anyhow, this is still a poor troll effort.

The hell happened here?
Also no that's not true at all.... DOs can only work as janitors, everyone knows that.

Reactions: 5 users
Google is your friend.

What are the benefits of the single accreditation system?

A single accreditation system will promote improved health and health care for the public by enhancing the education of the next generation of physicians.

The single accreditation system is intended to achieve four significant benefits:

1. Establish and maintain consistent evaluation and accountability for the competency of resident physicians across all accredited graduate medical education (GME) programs.

2. Eliminate duplication in GME accreditation.

3. Achieve efficiencies and cost savings for institutions currently sponsoring "dually" or "parallel" accredited allopathic and osteopathic programs.

4. Ensure all residency and fellowship applicants are eligible to enter all accredited programs in the United States, and can transfer from one accredited program to another without repeating training, and without causing the sponsoring institutions to lose Medicare funding.

And to answer another question, Meat is a troll who has apparently has a need to empty his bladder over the Osteopathic profession. He's either a bitter DO, or a IMG. Looking over the tone and content of his posts, I can't and will not believe he's a domestic MD grad.

Reactions: 2 users