DO school-----> MD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gentle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any of you knows of someone who has changed from an osteo med school to an allo med school? Is it possible? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to blow you off, but you should do a search of the forums as there have been a number of threads about this. Bottom line...technically possible to transfer to some schools, but very unlikely.

Gentle said:
Any of you knows of someone who has changed from an osteo med school to an allo med school? Is it possible? Just curious.

Not again

Members don't see this ad :)
medic170 said:
Not again

Alright guys. My apologies. Had no idea that this had been discussed here before. Just disregard the thread.

Thanks anyway!

Gentle said:
Alright guys. My apologies. Had no idea that this had been discussed here before. Just disregard the thread.

Thanks anyway!

If you want to be an MD, go to an MD school first year. That is the only way it is gonna happen.

Well, I had never heard of a DO-to-MD transfer until one of my classmates did it! At the end of our 2nd year at OUCOM, on my classmates transferred to MCO. Our entire class was in shock as nobody thought this was really even possible.

Apparently, she put in her transfer application during Jan of her 2nd year with Wright State and MCO. She took the USMLE 1, and interviewed at both schools. One of the schools (I think it was Wright State) actually had her perfrom an H&P on a simulated patient in front of a panel.

No one really knows why she transferred. Many in our class were, quite frankly, really pissed about it and passing all sorts of judgment on why she did it.

My reaction was, "Good for her." I don't care why she did it; she obviously had her reasons, and that's good enough for me.

She ended up completing our entire curriculum for the 1st two years at OUCOM, and trasferred over the summer and immediately started clinicals at MCO.

Gentle said:

It's possible if you have a very good reason. The class must have had someone else drop out, and you will be competing with transfers from other MD schools as well.

"Because I decided I wanted the initials MD after my name" is not one of those reasons.

I'm not 100% sure, but rumor had it that our traitor...err...I mean our fellow classmate who switched cited geographical reasons, however, it was no secret that she pretty much just hated OUCOM.

BTW...I am totally kidding about that "traitor" part ;)

Why in the hell would you transfer? If you really want to get the MD initials, don't even bother thinking about DO schools. Stories about people transferring pisses me off.

coolness said:
Why in the hell would you transfer? If you really want to get the MD initials, don't even bother thinking about DO schools. Stories about people transferring pisses me off.

Why? It’s their perogative? Are you the transfer police? A lot of people at my school were upset upon heaing about her transfer. I don't get it. It's none of our business. Whatever a person's reasons are, it's nobody's place to judge them for it.

People should quit worrying about what everybody else is doing.

coolness said:

i dont get why it pisses you off :confused:

Teufelhunden said:
Why? It’s their perogative? Are you the transfer police? A lot of people at my school were upset upon heaing about her transfer. I don't get it. It's none of our business. Whatever a person's reasons are, it's nobody's place to judge them for it.

People should quit worrying about what everybody else is doing.

Seriously. It's really sad. These are our future healers? Concerned with why people are transferring to their school? Get a life, focus on things you can do to help people, and concentrate on getting yourself through med school. I hate premed whiners.

transfers definitely happen. its not easy to pull off though. cause everyone has to know and agree with you doing it. you need a letter from the dean and letters of recc from professors. so selling your "XCOM" why you want to go to leave for "AlloCOM" and why they should support you is one of the hardest parts. also, only a handful of schools even consider transfers from DO schools, so your choices are limited there, and then transfering itself is pretty hard too no matter where you're going to and from.

another shady thing that people do is, restart. they apply both MD/DO and only get into a DO school the first time around. so they start DO school, but apply to MD schools again during their first year of DO school, and if they get in to an MD school, they dropout of the DO school and start all over at the MD school the next year. i've seen this happen a couple times too, but obviously its a considerably more expensive route.

don't be shocked or apalled. people have their preferences, their personal reasons and they are entitled to them. some people really want to be MD's, some really want to DO's, and some just want to be doctors no matter what. and sometimes it has to do with other reasons, like location, family, other opportunities, etc. to each his/her own. that said, you don't have to like it either.

I am well aware that people have the right to choose. This is America, right? I also have the right to express my displeasure with people who choose this pathway because I feel that by choosing to attend an osteopathic school, then turn your back on the osteopathic profession, and enter an allopathic school does a great disservice to the profession. Another person who wanted to attend DO school had an opportunity taken away by someone else.

DrMom said:
Not to blow you off, but you should do a search of the forums as there have been a number of threads about this. Bottom line...technically possible to transfer to some schools, but very unlikely.

Dr. Mom

Why do you try to end everyone's thread by telling them to look elswhere in order to find what they need to know? Not all of us are forum trolls. I've noticed that you do this a lot. Cut it out already. Some of us would rather start a thread implying exactly what we need to know, not spend hours browsing though thousands of threads on the SDN. Stop trying to end everyone’s thread. It’s really annoying!

Yours,
Caraway

clc8503 said:
Dr. Mom

Why do you try to end everyone's thread by telling them to look elswhere in order to find what they need to know? Not all of us are forum trolls. I've noticed that you do this a lot. Cut it out already. Some of us would rather start a thread implying exactly what we need to know, not spend hours browsing though thousands of threads on the SDN. Stop trying to end everyone’s thread. It’s really annoying!

Yours,
Caraway

clc8503 it is not closing threads. It is letting people know that this has been discuss. If you want information fast... and you want it more correct. You will look at previous replies. This happens over and over again. Especially with sticky issues like DO vs. MD threads.

I just tell people to do a search.

BTW.. she did not close the thread. She just let the OP know that this has been discuss.

I personally don't like to see this DO vs. MD thread over and over again. It reflects negatively on the profession and the great co-operation between DOs and MDs all over the place.

clc8503 said:
Dr. Mom

Yours,
Caraway

The repetitive threads are annoying. The constant trolling & flaming are also annoying.