Do soph year mcat takers do worse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterMood

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do they tend to do worse if they take it their sophomore year or better. I could see a possible explanation for doing better because they have the pre-reqs finished sooner, and have the concepts fresh in the mind and you have a whole summer to study without real worries. And if you do bad you can take it next April. But then again they could be at a disadvantage without upper level bio classes (yes yes pre-reqs is all you need but continued exposure to the classes does let you remember the concepts of say biology much better). Finally, is there a maturity factor that takes place during the soph-junior year that makes it a lot harder to get 35+ i.e. sophomores are not going to be as naturally well-prepared as a junior.

Members don't see this ad.

I did very well when I took the test before my junior year. Honestly, having biochem and advanced physics(my major :love: ) this year would not have helped me at all if I were going to take it in April. What's important is to study alot of for the test and to take plenty of practice tests.

The mcat is only testing basic science, remember.

Hermit MMood said:
Finally, is there a maturity factor that takes place during the soph-junior year that makes it a lot harder to get 35+ i.e. sophomores are not going to be as naturally well-prepared as a junior.

A fellow sophomore and I (we're now juniors) both took the mcat in August and we both scored 35+. Take it as soon as you are prepared.

Members don't see this ad :)
quantummechanic said:
I did very well when I took the test before my junior year. Honestly, having biochem and advanced physics(my major :love: ) this year would not have helped me at all if I were going to take it in April. What's important is to study alot of for the test and to take plenty of practice tests.

The mcat is only testing basic science, remember.

Physics Majors unite. :thumbup:

BrettBatchelor said:
Physics Majors unite. :thumbup:

BB, physics major helped infiinitely on the mcat and I hope it'll help when I'm applying. A thinking man's science major. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: