DO student 3rd year work flow for anki lovers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espressso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any DO students mind sharing their third year work flow including anki during rotations? I'm trying to start to get a basic grip on how to approach third year.

My plan is to basically use Tzanki as my main deck, along with the Dorian fam med subdeck for the mighty family med clerkship. Then also use UW during each rotation as well as Comquest for the family med one (possibly the others too?) I've heard comquest is good for the shelf exams (can anyone confirm?). On top of the tzanki+UW, I was planning on using OME and occasional case files. Then take the nbme shelf practice exams leading up to our comats.

My questions for DO students who have gone through third year already:
1. Any experience with the NBME practice shelf exams? Are they even semi applicable to the COMATs?
2. How is comquest for the shelf exams?
3. Do each of the COMATs have OMT in there? Or is that just for the OMT shelf? I'm a little confused on how the comats are, content wise.

Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anki, some OME, combank, and comquest for rotations. I left Uworld alone for dedicated since it was too much to do with everything else, something was always falling short of completion. Never had an issue with comats and was >110 except for FM

Any DO students mind sharing their third year work flow including anki during rotations? I'm trying to start to get a basic grip on how to approach third year.

My plan is to basically use Tzanki as my main deck, along with the Dorian fam med subdeck for the mighty family med clerkship. Then also use UW during each rotation as well as Comquest for the family med one (possibly the others too?) I've heard comquest is good for the shelf exams (can anyone confirm?). On top of the tzanki+UW, I was planning on using OME and occasional case files. Then take the nbme shelf practice exams leading up to our comats.

1. Any experience with the NBME practice shelf exams? Are they even semi applicable to the COMATs?
3. Do each of the COMATs have OMT in there? Or is that just for the OMT shelf? I'm a little confused on how the comats are, content wise.

Thank you guys!

-No experience with the NBME practice shelf exams but the content is going to be largely the same as the relevant COMAT. If you’re looking to gauge your progress then they’ll be a good choice. If you’re looking to learn from questions UWorld will still be your best friend. If you’re trying to get used to the question writing/ styles then COMBANK is going to be your best bet.

-I don’t use it because I bought UWOrld and my school provides us with COMBANK, but I can promise you COMQUEST is a trash, piece of **** question bank. One of my roommates bought it and I heard them discussing some screening criteria with a classmate and they were saying consistently wrong dates. I tried to correct them and we got into an argument about it because they got their information from COMQUEST. Basically it provides you with incorrect explanations and even the difference of 5 years in when to do a screening colonoscopy or Pap Smear is going to make a difference. You wouldn’t even know unless you also use UWorld or discuss the questions with friends.

-There isn’t any real OMT in the COMATs except for the OMM one. There are often viscerosomatics but they don’t make a difference in the question like they often did for Level 1. So far there have been maybe 1-2 diagnosis questions out of 8 COMATs my 3rd year. OMT is often an option for treatment questions but it’s always a red herring.

-There isn’t any real OMT in the COMATs except for the OMM one. There are often viscerosomatics but they don’t make a difference in the question like they often did for Level 1. So far there have been maybe 1-2 diagnosis questions out of 8 COMATs my 3rd year. OMT is often an option for treatment questions but it’s always a red herring.
That is so refreshing to hear! That brightens my day. The idea of relegating OMM to some quick prep for Level 2 CE and PE and doing an anki deck/COMBANK for the OMM COMAT is like a dream come true.

OP, everyone I talked to said that if you aren't the type of person to really need to practice for NBOME language garbage then just use UW as it is by far the best tool and will teach you the correct medicine for your exams. As far as anki goes, it seems like maybe we are a year or two early to there being a truly mapped out UFAP style anki deck method for 3rd year. There are way too many deck choices and all have their benefits. The good news is that all of them are pretty short. I plan to grab 3/4/5 of them and just browse cards from all of them to unlock for subjects I want to study. Hopefully this will allow me to figure out which style I like between Tzanki, Doc, Dorian, etc.

Let us know what you end up deciding!