DO Student International Clerkships/Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boopbop

Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently an M1 at a DO school and I was wondering if any DO students have successfully applied/completed clerkships in South Korea. Thanks in advance! Fwiw, I'm ethnically Korean and have family near Seoul.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, have never heard of it. The problem with a foreign rotation is that it would be difficult to provide oversight of the clinical education one would get
Thank you for your insight!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most MD schools do recognize overseas electives. You should ask your school whether it is allowed. I believe it is a very school-specific question.

It probably goes without saying, but certainly for none of your core clerkships, and likely not even for an elective during 3rd year. Your best bet will be during 4th year.

My DO school allows international rotations, but there is an application process that must be submitted and approved months in advance. They even have established relationships with hospitals in SE Asia and one in sub-saharan Africa that are automatically approved and don't require a separate application process.

Depending on your school, the more difficult prospect may be finding a medical school / hospital in Korea where you want to be that is willing to take you on as a liability.

It's certainly worth exploring, but something you don't need to really worry about until after you finish 3rd year.

Get back to studying!

It probably goes without saying, but certainly for none of your core clerkships, and likely not even for an elective during 3rd year. Your best bet will be during 4th year.

My DO school allows international rotations, but there is an application process that must be submitted and approved months in advance. They even have established relationships with hospitals in SE Asia and one in sub-saharan Africa that are automatically approved and don't require a separate application process.

Depending on your school, the more difficult prospect may be finding a medical school / hospital in Korea where you want to be that is willing to take you on as a liability.

It's certainly worth exploring, but something you don't need to really worry about until after you finish 3rd year.

Get back to studying!
Haha thanks for the insight!!