DO student, what programs to apply to/have a shot at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOpsychApp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

DO student here thinking about psychiatry. I have done some research of my own regarding competitiveness, but I would like some opinions on where I have a shot at. Of course, ERAS is not a time to spare any expense, so I will be applying to some reaches, but I want to make sure I have a solid base of places within my range. With this being said, here is a little about me:

Comlex level 1 575
USMLE step 1 214
USMLE Step 2: ???

I have no real EC's except for some school clubs, but I doubt those are going to matter much. I got school on the west coast, originally from Southern California. How are my chances for West coast programs, particularly california? I know the extreme reaches are Stanford, UCSF, UCLA, SFV, Harbor, and San Mateo. How would I stack at places like Kern or USC? Furthermore, how will a rise in step 2 be weighted?

I hope to go to private practice afterwards, so I really am looking for a place that will offer decent training while being relatively close to my friends and family. Am I correct to still assume that psychiatry job market is still decent compared to other specialties in LA/SD/SF areas?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Some more you missed.
Loma Linda University Program
University of California (Davis) Health System Program
California Pacific Medical Center Program
University of California (Irvine) Program
Kawealh Delta in Visalia CA
Kaiser Fontana
University of California Riverside
University of California, San Diego

Members don't see this ad :)
Some more you missed.
Loma Linda University Program
University of California (Davis) Health System Program
California Pacific Medical Center Program
University of California (Irvine) Program
Kawealh Delta in Visalia CA
Kaiser Fontana
University of California Riverside
University of California, San Diego

Would not bother with Davis or San Diego. I don't know about California Pacific. Just my opinion, granted, I was only a COMLEX applicant. My friends who took USMLE had a lot of luck with Loma Linda and Fontana.

Would not bother with Davis or San Diego. I don't know about California Pacific. Just my opinion, granted, I was only a COMLEX applicant. My friends who took USMLE had a lot of luck with Loma Linda and Fontana.

also, i don't think you should do Irvine. I recommend definitely trying USC and UCSF Fresno. Check out some AZ programs if you like such as Banner and Tucson-South.