Do Undergraduate Research Publications help for Residency Applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwall003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Say I want to become a dermatologist. Do undergraduate and post-baccularate research publications in the field of dermatology help my residency application? In other words, are research publications before medical school eligible to be considered for residency positions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the same topic, I got named co-author on a paper during my post-bac for a gastro/immunology paper. As of now I'm initially interested in anesthesia but would this publication in a completely different field help at all for getting an anesthesia residency?

All pubs matter but less than ones in med school. Pubs in your field of choice will help moreX

All pubs matter but less than ones in med school. Pubs in your field of choice will help moreX

OK, I've heard from some anesthesia residents that publications and research in general dont matter at all for anesthesia. Im too inexperienced and naive to know if this is true at this point but do you think it may be school specific as opposed to specialty specific?

Last edited:
OK, I've heard from some anesthesia residents that publications and research in general dont matter at all for anesthesia. Im too inexperienced and naive to know if this is true at this point but do you think it may be school specific as opposed to specialty specific?

Well, matched anesthesia applicants averaged 2.2 pubs/posters so I wouldn't say research doesn't matter at all.

Well, matched anesthesia applicants averaged 2.2 pubs/posters so I wouldn't say research doesn't matter at all.

OK, i figured that. The guy that told me research didn't matter was one of those 99th percentile people on USMLE Step 1 and 2 so he could probably get by without it.