Do upward trends look better when the gap is larger?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toff4l

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do upward trends look better when there is a significant amount of time between average work and competitive work?

I went to college for a few years, didn't like it, and decided to work. I'm in my late 20's and, due to certain experiences that have happened to me during my time off, I have decided to go back to school, finish a finance degree but also take my prereqs and apply to medical school. I will be in class this summer and that is 4.5 years since I have been in school. My first two years of school consist of just average grades.

Assuming I do competitive work for the next two years, will this gap in education work in my favor? I mean will they think "What happened during those first two years?" or will they say "That was then, but this is now."

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. Some schools will not see a problem, some may... Start talking to the schools you are interested in. The biggest thing is that those average grades will still be factored into your cGPA, and can still hurt you. So again, ask the schools you are primarily interested in