DO vs. D.O.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BossAndroid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN, I just had a quick question. When writing your essays/applications/secondaries, do you type DO or D.O.? I keep seeing both all over the internet, and I was wondering what you all were doing. Would I say I would like to be a DO, D.O., or a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine? Does it change if it's after a name? For example, Dr. John Doe, DO, or Dr. John Doe, D.O.?

Usually we don't put periods between the letters, such as CPR or ER, but when all three abbreviations show up in the same paragraph, I would like to keep some consistency.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi SDN, I just had a quick question. When writing your essays/applications/secondaries, do you type DO or D.O.? I keep seeing both all over the internet, and I was wondering what you all were doing. Would I say I would like to be a DO, D.O., or a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine? Does it change if it's after a name? For example, Dr. John Doe, DO, or Dr. John Doe, D.O.?

Usually we don't put periods between the letters, such as CPR or ER, but when all three abbreviations show up in the same paragraph, I would like to keep some consistency.

As sir AwesomeSauceome said I would definitely use D.O. It's a very minuscule thing to analyze but better to be right and consistent from the get go.

The only thing I put periods behind was D.O. I didn't do it for ER (accounted I just said emergency room) or OMT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought there was some kind of throwdown between two doctors in the news. Color me disappointed.

Reactions: 4 users
MD gets thrown around instead of M.D. D.O. might be technically more correct, but I would use DO in almost any setting without concern that it would be misunderstood. I think the only time I would bother to write D.O. would be IF I HAD TURNED ON ALL CAPS BECAUSE THEN IT COULD BE READ AS DO.

I hate ending a sentence with D.O..

Reactions: 2 users
If there is a character limit, DO wins. They will know what you mean, and those are two precious characters saved for every use.

Reactions: 1 user
Hahahaha this thread took an interesting turn, I apologize if I disappointing anyone by posting a title that read like a boxing match. Regardless, thank you all for your insight! If I was to end a sentence with D.O., technically the second period would count as the period that ends the sentence as well, right? No way that "D.O.." would be correct..

Hahahaha this thread took an interesting turn, I apologize if I disappointing anyone by posting a title that read like a boxing match. Regardless, thank you all for your insight! If I was to end a sentence with D.O., technically the second period would count as the period that ends the sentence as well, right? No way that "D.O.." would be correct..

Yep, when you end a sentence with an abbreviation, it's the same period that ends the sentence.