Do you have to be state licensed to volunteer as an EMT?

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Although I might be able to get a certification from NREMT, I might not be able to get the state license due to my immigration status.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm fairly certain you have to have the license for the state in which you want to practice. You can get certified in one state and it'll work for reciprocity purposes with others. If you have NREMT certification, why would they deny you a license? IIRC, some states require NREMT certification as a prerequisite for a state license, too.

yes, you need state licence.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suspect you'll need a state license or certificate, though I can't say for sure that there are no states that require only NREMT-B. I doubt they'd allow you to take the course if you aren't eligible to work as an EMT in that state.

That said, as an 18 year old EMT, you will find it very difficult to find work. Most places won't allow you to drive an ambulance until you're at least 21 for insurance reasons. Since you can't drive, most places won't be interested in you, other than possibly small town fire departments that are hurting for help. I found employment at 20 on a private ambulance company, but the policy changed about a week after I was hired to no longer allow people under 21.

Although I might be able to get a certification from NREMT, I might not be able to get the state license due to my immigration status.

Druggernaut was talking about how at 18 you won't be able to find work as an EMT-B. Yea, you probably won't find a job on an ambulance at 18, unless your trying to volunteer as a 3rd rider; however, if the company you are looking to get on runs BLS trucks, you might be able to get on those, as long as your partner is 21+ to drive, while you work in the back.

Also, having an EMT-B cert. doesn't mean you HAVE to be on an ambulance. You might be able to get a job as an ER tech, or depending on where you live, there might be things such as Ski Patrol (ski resort EMS), in which you don't need to be 21; or working at a zoo (yes, zoo's usually have an EMT or two on staff haha).

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I phoned the state office and they told me I can get a licensure because I was qualified under the Nationality and immigration act. :D

Here I come. EMT-B!