Do you think I have a chance with med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dream to be a doc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 24 years old and I'm currently in a community college. I never had an interest in studying and I always barely passed classes when I was in high school. My gpa was around 2.2 when I graduated. Then I went to college but I failed out of community college and my gpa was 1.7 when I dropped out. And one life incident completely changed me and I went back to college. I made up all of the classes I failed and my gpa will be above 3.2 after this semester. I got accepted into nursing school. But the thought about becoming a surgeon would never leave me alone. I know that I have to transfer to university first and 3.2 is not good enough. My question is will med school look at my past classes I failed and my high school grades?

Members don't see this ad.

They don't look at high school grades.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Will they look at my past grades though even though I made them up?

DO schools use grade replacement -aka if the classes are identical only the best grade will count-, but MD schools don't.

Transfer, improve your GPA as much as possible, take the MCAT, volunteer & co, and you should have a shot at DO.

They look for upward trends. Be sure to do well in future courses, and MD averages the retakes.
I had a lot of F's and C's I still have 3 classes I need to make up. So if they average my retakes my GPA will go below 3.0 and it sounds like I will never have a chance with a med school. Sigh...

I had a lot of F's and C's I still have 3 classes I need to make up. So if they average my retakes my GPA will go below 3.0 and it sounds like I will never have a chance with a med school. Sigh...
DO takes the highest grade..

I wouldn't worry about it too much. do well from now on and get involved in some EC that is interesting and uncommon. You have a shot at MD.

There are lots med schools that reward reinvention.

I'm 24 years old and I'm currently in a community college. I never had an interest in studying and I always barely passed classes when I was in high school. My gpa was around 2.2 when I graduated. Then I went to college but I failed out of community college and my gpa was 1.7 when I dropped out. And one life incident completely changed me and I went back to college. I made up all of the classes I failed and my gpa will be above 3.2 after this semester. I got accepted into nursing school. But the thought about becoming a surgeon would never leave me alone. I know that I have to transfer to university first and 3.2 is not good enough. My question is will med school look at my past classes I failed and my high school grades?

If you can go to University and put up a few semesters of good grades (3.7+) that will do wonders for your app.
Im of the opinion that the big decider for med school is MCAT. You can always retake classes you failed for grade replacement at DO schools. Also MD schools are aware of GPA trends and such too. But if you cant put up a decent MCAT score (lets say 26+ for the least competitive DO schools) , youre done regardless.

If you keep retaking the classes you failed and making good grades, there is no reason you can't get accepted to a medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Im of the opinion that the big decider for med school is MCAT.

+1 this is so important. get something above 510 (around 31 on the old MCAT) and you'd be competitive with your eventual 3.7 regardless of how you started.

I got a 1.9 my very first quarter.. i've been accepted... keep busting your ass doing things you like and things that help people and you're going to be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also state of residence is big...what state are you from? by and large southern states have way more welcoming state schools than the north or California

+1 this is so important. get something above 510 (around 31 on the old MCAT) and you'd be competitive with your eventual 3.7 regardless of how you started.

I got a 1.9 my very first quarter.. i've been accepted... keep busting your ass doing things you like and things that help people and you're going to be fine.
You got 1.9 for very first quarter of med school or pre med?

College. I was never pre med of pre med is a tract

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Edit: traaaacckk

Last edited:
Will they take my work experience as a nurse?

Will MD admissions committees? I'm sure they'll take that as your clinical experience. but more importantly, your nursing experience should provide you plenty of opportunities to a.) learn about medicine and caring as a profession and, b.) draw on events and insights from your job to develop yourself as a compassionate problem solver.