Do you think you failed COMLEX 3??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

COMLEXHatr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the COMLEX 3 on October 8, 2010, and after the test, I was 100% convinced I had failed. The questions are either completely obvious, so much so, that you second guess yourself and change your answers, OR they are so random, facts that you never would have studied. I was terrified I was going to have to go through the embarassment of being the first person ever in my residency program to have failed. I felt like crap after COMLEX 1 and 2 (and ended up passing), but not this terribly.

Anyway, after 5 weeks and 6 days (yes, those a-holes take their "4-6 weeks"), and checking the website 3x/day, I somehow passed (469/81). So this post is for anyone else out there who thinks they got raped by this ridiculous test, hopefully it will turn out okay for you, too. I know I was searching for some comfort during my painstakingly long wait!

And for those of you who are preparing, here is some advice:

TAKE THE COMSAE! It is worth the 50 bucks. There are very similar, some exact questions on the real thing. I just barely passed the COMSAE (another reason I was convinced I failed). If I could do it all over again, I would take it multiple times. Even though you don't get the answers you can write down things you want to look up.

First Aid for Step3: Know the 'Management' sections for every disease they discuss, COLD. The diagnosis will be obvious (we all know the buzzwords to make a diagnosis), but the management will be seriously tricky (multiple right answers-- you have to know the book answer, not the ACTUAL REAL WORLD ANSWER). I wish I had been more disciplined about this.

Go back and refresh your antibiotics base of knowledge, they are still heavily tested.

Heart murmurs.

As far as question banks, I used COMQUEST, which was okay for brushing up on general knowledge, but in no way prepares you for the wacky questions the COMLEX has. If you are on a budget, I highly recommend spending it on the COMSAE instead of a question bank.

Of course, it goes without saying, know your sympathetic levels!!

And don't worry, it will all be over soon, and you will never have to take a COMLEX EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I walked out of the exam feeling exactly like you just described. Now I have to painstakingly wait for the next 4-6 weeks for my score. I'm terrified that I will have to go through this again, it's reassuring that you felt the same way and did fine! I took the comsae about a week before and got 579. I thought I was ready till I actually took the test. I guess it's really not a good tool to assess our readiness?
Anyway, Congrats on being done!! can't wait till I'm there too! :)

Yeah, congrats on being done. I personally did not do COMSAE because I didn't want to give NBOME even more money but did the COMBANK instead. COMBANk is really out of date on their question style. I do not recommend it to anyone.

I took my exam on 10/28, of course got my score back with the 10/8/10 people so I lucked out. I walked out thinking I failed but ended up with a 657. So yeah dont worry about the feeling when you walk out of the exam.

Congrats to you all who passed all three steps and dont have to deal with the NBOME anymore!

I hate COMLEX with a passion that cannot be described. That test sucked ***** so bad I'm still nauseous from the thought of it.

I took it in April and passed comfortably, but not without a high level of anxiety. I used COMBANK (way too easy/straightforward), the green Savarese OMT book (well worth it) and Crush Step 3 (meh).

I am so so so glad never to have to deal with the NBOME again. Or the AOA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend the comquest qbank. I just took this test dec 16 and didnt feel all that great when I left, but I ended up getting a 751. The questions were close to the qbank. I am so glad I dont have to take another NBOME exam or deal with the AOA. I'm doing allopathic TY and ophtho!!

I took the COMLEX 3 on October 8, 2010, and after the test, I was 100% convinced I had failed. The questions are either completely obvious, so much so, that you second guess yourself and change your answers, OR they are so random, facts that you never would have studied. I was terrified I was going to have to go through the embarassment of being the first person ever in my residency program to have failed. I felt like crap after COMLEX 1 and 2 (and ended up passing), but not this terribly.

Anyway, after 5 weeks and 6 days (yes, those a-holes take their "4-6 weeks"), and checking the website 3x/day, I somehow passed (469/81). So this post is for anyone else out there who thinks they got raped by this ridiculous test, hopefully it will turn out okay for you, too. I know I was searching for some comfort during my painstakingly long wait!

And for those of you who are preparing, here is some advice:

TAKE THE COMSAE! It is worth the 50 bucks. There are very similar, some exact questions on the real thing. I just barely passed the COMSAE (another reason I was convinced I failed). If I could do it all over again, I would take it multiple times. Even though you don't get the answers you can write down things you want to look up.

First Aid for Step3: Know the 'Management' sections for every disease they discuss, COLD. The diagnosis will be obvious (we all know the buzzwords to make a diagnosis), but the management will be seriously tricky (multiple right answers-- you have to know the book answer, not the ACTUAL REAL WORLD ANSWER). I wish I had been more disciplined about this.

Go back and refresh your antibiotics base of knowledge, they are still heavily tested.

Heart murmurs.

As far as question banks, I used COMQUEST, which was okay for brushing up on general knowledge, but in no way prepares you for the wacky questions the COMLEX has. If you are on a budget, I highly recommend spending it on the COMSAE instead of a question bank.

Of course, it goes without saying, know your sympathetic levels!!

And don't worry, it will all be over soon, and you will never have to take a COMLEX EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Just took it, feels like you describe above. I did do the COMSAE and scored really well....but I felt like it was a lot easier than the real COMLEX. I cannot believe how horribly written that test was today. I'm disgusted. ehhhh