DoctorLacrosse's Inspirational Comeback Story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Happy new year everyone and lets all hope for some good news!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope that one day I get to be your colleague. Congratulations man!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've had a stretch of bad news regarding decisions lately, and you guys keep me going. trying to stay patient and positive, it's just difficult. I can't thank you guys enough for all of the support.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
You got this! And, you already have an acceptance on hand!

Reactions: 2 users
I think you'll be fine with the 93 interview invites you have man. hahaha.

I gotta say, you put in work, dude! I'm really impressed. Also, I was in a similar circumstance as well. I bs'd my way through high school, and got into a really competitive undergrad program with a full scholarship, and had terrible habits beginning undergrad. I ended up with a 2.9GPA after Freshman year and my advisor literally told me that I might have to consider switching my career path. I was so distraught but I made up my mind like you did to stop messing around and get my act together. I went into beast mode for 4 semesters after that (something like 80 credits with straight A's) and was able to get my GPA around 3.6 and apply to med school. The rest is history. Just goes to show that hard work is a requirement for success.

Reactions: 7 users
I think you'll be fine with the 93 interview invites you have man. hahaha.

I gotta say, you put in work, dude! I'm really impressed. Also, I was in a similar circumstance as well. I bs'd my way through high school, and got into a really competitive undergrad program with a full scholarship, and had terrible habits beginning undergrad. I ended up with a 2.9GPA after Freshman year and my advisor literally told me that I might have to consider switching my career path. I was so distraught but I made up my mind like you did to stop messing around and get my act together. I went into beast mode for 4 semesters after that (something like 80 credits with straight A's) and was able to get my GPA around 3.6 and apply to med school. The rest is history. Just goes to show that hard work is a requirement for success.

wow man, that's extremely impressive. needless to say I think you've more than earned your success this cycle lol, congrats to you!

I know I'm in no position to be picky whatsoever, but now that I've tasted top MD programs, I can't help but feel like I want an acceptance at one of these so badly. time will tell and I've decided to remain positive until hope officially runs out. wishing for the best!

Wow, I cannot believe I have never seen this thread. I really appreciate both what you have accomplished and how you have given everyone on SDN a view into the opportunities that lie beyond mental barriers/past mistakes. I couldn't help but smile while reading through your posts because you sound EXACTLY like me and went through a very similar transition. As a sophomore, I found myself nearly failing out of school, and when I say failing, I literally mean failing. I had a 2.4ish and F's in multiple core classes at the time. I knew I liked the idea of being a doctor but nothing at that time had really motivated me to be passionate about the relevent interests if that makes sense. I also had no understanding of what it meant to be a good student and spent far more time partying than studying/going to class. To make matters worse, I was completely financially independent from my parents since day one of college and I too, had to work long hours outside of class. I was/am a performing musician(singer/guitarist) and have spent roughly twenty hours playing shows on a weekly basis for the past 5 years(not to mention all the time I have to spend scheduling and practicing) in addition to waiting tables. While my world closed in on my me sophomore year, I began to experience what I thought were heart problems. At 20 years old, this can be quite a difficult situation to handle and nearly put me out of college but ironically, the final nail in my coffin was also my saving grace. I met a physician who treated me with a very holistic approach and in doing so, gave me back my good health and also the motivation needed to effectively pursue a medical career. More importantly, I experienced something so profoundly life changing that I could not imagine doing anything other than dedicating my life to giving that same gift to others as a physician. I went from nearly failing out to making consecutive 4.0 semesters for the remaining two and half years of college, including retakes of any classes I performed poorly in. I remember having this slow and almost surreal discovery of potential with each semester's grade report and I can't fit the happiness of that experience into words. However, I felt that same emotion forming in your words throughout your posts and that makes me tremendously happy. Since that turn-around, I too have immersed myself in volunteer work and whatever medical service I could find including some amazing experiences shadowing a brilliant cardiothoracic surgeon, working with St. Jude, and caring for kids with MD among others. The MCAT did not come easy but I finished that battle with a strong score. I applied first in 2013 to two state schools and got an ii right away at my school of choice but no acceptance. I went for a follow up and was told by the dean to do some specific volunteer work which I did but my re-app was rejected without an interview as of today :/ I am very competitive compared to most who matriculate at that school as well which is difficult to accept. However, if there is one thing I have learned through my experience it is that a failure is never a death sentence. No matter what kind of detour presents itself, there is always a silver lining for those who look. I am already making a game plan and mapping out a longer list of schools to apply for.

Thank you sincerely for making this thread. I had one of the most discouraging days today in quite awhile and reading your story allowed me not just to remember those life changing lessons, but to actually feel them. You put a little fire back in my soul. Please, always maintain your winning attitude and willingness to pass it on. Even in medicine, all some people really need is a little inspiration.

Last edited:
Wow, I cannot believe I have never seen this thread. I really appreciate both what you have accomplished and how you have given everyone on SDN a view into the opportunities that lie beyond mental barriers/past mistakes. I couldn't help but smile while reading through your posts because you sound EXACTLY like me and went through a very similar transition. As a sophomore, I found myself nearly failing out of school, and when I say failing, I literally mean failing. I had a 2.4ish and F's in multiple core classes at the time. I knew I liked the idea of being a doctor but nothing at that time had really motivated me to be passionate about the relevent interests if that makes sense. I also had no understanding of what it meant to be a good student and spent far more time partying than studying/going to class. To make matters worse, I was completely financially independent from my parents since day one of college and I too, had to work long hours outside of class. I was/am a performing musician(singer/guitarist) and have spent roughly twenty hours playing shows on a weekly basis for the past 5 years(not to mention all the time I have to spend scheduling and practicing) in addition to waiting tables. While my world closed in on my me sophomore year, I began to experience what I thought were heart problems. At 20 years old, this can be quite a difficult situation to handle and nearly put me out of college but ironically, the final nail in my coffin was also my saving grace. I met a physician who treated me with a very holistic approach and in doing so, gave me back my good health and also the motivation needed to effectively pursue a medical career. More importantly, I experienced something so profoundly life changing that I could not imagine doing anything other than dedicating my life to giving that same gift to others as a physician. I went from nearly failing out to making consecutive 4.0 semesters for the remaining two and half years of college, including retakes of any classes I performed poorly in. I remember having this slow and almost surreal discovery of potential with each semester's grade report and I can't fit the happiness of that experience into words. However, I felt that same emotion forming in your words throughout your posts and that makes me tremendously happy. Since that turn-around, I too have immersed myself in volunteer work and whatever medical service I could find including some amazing experiences shadowing a brilliant cardiothoracic surgeon, working with St. Jude, and caring for kids with MD among others. The MCAT did not come easy but I finished that battle with a strong score. I applied first in 2013 to two state schools and got an ii right away at my school of choice but no acceptance. I went for a follow up and was told by the dean to do some specific volunteer work which I did but my re-app was rejected without an interview as of today :/ I am very competitive compared to most who matriculate at that school as well which is difficult to accept. However, if there is one thing I have learned through my experience it is that a failure is never a death sentence. No matter what kind of detour presents itself, there is always a silver lining for those who look. I am already making a game plan and mapping out a longer list of schools to apply for.

Thank you sincerely for making this thread. I had one of the most discouraging days today in quite awhile and reading your story allowed me not just to remember those life changing lessons, but to actually feel them. You put a little fire back in my soul. Please, always maintain your winning attitude and willingness to pass it on. Even in medicine, all some people really need is a little inspiration.

wow, what a heartfelt response. I can't thank you enough for sharing your story and for the kind words, posts like these really keep me going.

it means a lot to hear that my story has helped you, and believe me, I know how it feels to be disappointed over and over going through this all. your attitude is extremely refreshing and I can tell that you WILL make it with that positive mentality, just keep fighting. please keep in touch when that time comes! best of luck to you.

wow, what a heartfelt response. I can't thank you enough for sharing your story and for the kind words, posts like these really keep me going.

it means a lot to hear that my story has helped you, and believe me, I know how it feels to be disappointed over and over going through this all. your attitude is extremely refreshing and I can tell that you WILL make it with that positive mentality, just keep fighting. please keep in touch when that time comes! best of luck to you.

Thank you and same to you! Would you mind sharing how your transition was involved in your app and also in your interviews?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you and same to you! Would you mind sharing how your transition was involved in your app and also in your interviews?

In interviews, the main questions that come up are mostly about HOW it actually happened, how did I go from a C student to an A student overnight. They always tend to be very interested in this, and one interviewer even asked me for tips to tell their daughter in the same situation, which was cool lol.

As far as my app, I made sure to mention it where it was applicable in secondary essays, but for the most part I didn't incorporate it too much. I don't think you should focus on weaknesses too much in your app, and if they want to know, they'll ask in an interview. Hope that helps

Stopping by to say thank you for sharing your story!
I have a family member just like you.
You're an inspiration to the world to show that hope exists.

Just read this post from start to finish. Really inspirational! Regardless of the outcome from the other schools you're waiting on, you WILL BE A DOCTOR which is all that matters! I'm in a similar situation trying to plan which classes to retake as I'm now a post-bac. Did you end up retaking any B- courses? Or just the C's? Congrats again!

Also, What was your final DO overall and science gpa? I'm looking to see what stats I should aim for through grade retakes, Touro is one of my top choices.

Stopping by to say thank you for sharing your story!
I have a family member just like you.
You're an inspiration to the world to show that hope exists.

That's awesome, glad to see others live by the "you haven't failed until you've given up" mantra. I appreciate it, thank you so much!

Just read this post from start to finish. Really inspirational! Regardless of the outcome from the other schools you're waiting on, you WILL BE A DOCTOR which is all that matters! I'm in a similar situation trying to plan which classes to retake as I'm now a post-bac. Did you end up retaking any B- courses? Or just the C's? Congrats again!

Also, What was your final DO overall and science gpa? I'm looking to see what stats I should aim for through grade retakes, Touro is one of my top choices.

You're absolutely right, it's just hard not to dream when I've gotten to visit some of the best schools in the country!

I didn't retake anything B- or higher, only C+ and below. My final DO GPAs both ended up being around 3.5. I would say to find the excel spreadsheets out there to help you calculate your GPAs (these spreadsheets were saviors to me that I would play around with constantly to see how my grades would be with certain retakes). Use them to see which classes you should retake for the biggest GPA jumps, then go for it. If I can do it, you can do it!

You and I are in the same boat except my MD GPA is lower (3.1) due to a horrendous first year when I was young and naive. However, I did turn it around the last 3 years and turned my GPA back up to a 3.5 (DO) and broke the minimum 3.0 cutoff (I'm at around a 3.1) many MD schools have. My MCAT turned out great with a 33, I'm URM, fluent in Spanish, have tons of local community volunteering, and finishing my research (1.5 yrs HIV research) and becoming a scribe this month, and I apply this cycle in June. Despite all of that, I FREQUENTLY fear that no school will want me. It's nice to read your thread. People in our situation definitely have to keep our heads down and just work while ignoring how perfect everyone around us looks. It's encouraging to see this during the occasional slumps where we start looking around at all the other applicants. Congratulations!

You and I are in the same boat except my MD GPA is lower (3.1) due to a horrendous first year when I was young and naive. However, I did turn it around the last 3 years and turned my GPA back up to a 3.5 (DO) and broke the minimum 3.0 cutoff (I'm at around a 3.1) many MD schools have. My MCAT turned out great with a 33, I'm URM, fluent in Spanish, have tons of local community volunteering, and finishing my research (1.5 yrs HIV research) and becoming a scribe this month, and I apply this cycle in June. Despite all of that, I FREQUENTLY fear that no school will want me. It's nice to read your thread. People in our situation definitely have to keep our heads down and just work while ignoring how perfect everyone around us looks. It's encouraging to see this during the occasional slumps where we start looking around at all the other applicants. Congratulations!

With that MCAT, you'll get some love my friend, I can assure you. thanks for the congrats, and best of luck!

@DoctorLacrosse what an inspiration. I too had a rough start to my college career, and ended up graduating cum laude from my institution. I was inspired by your work, and similarly ended up doing well on my MCAT.

I was fortunate to have been accepted to 3 DO's and am awaiting my EVMS decision. While I'm definitely jealous of your wild success in this app cycle, I can't thank you enough for motivating me to keep pushing further.

Congrats brahhhh, we made it <3

Btw, any updates on your schools?!?

@DoctorLacrosse what an inspiration. I too had a rough start to my college career, and ended up graduating cum laude from my institution. I was inspired by your work, and similarly ended up doing well on my MCAT.

I was fortunate to have been accepted to 3 DO's and am awaiting my EVMS decision. While I'm definitely jealous of your wild success in this app cycle, I can't thank you enough for motivating me to keep pushing further.

Congrats brahhhh, we made it <3

Btw, any updates on your schools?!?

so happy for you! that's awesome to hear, and I'm so glad to hear your success. unfortunately I've gotten no recent updates regarding acceptances, so I'm still stuck in anxiety limbo lol, but once I know ill certainly update everyone. praying every day for that first MD acceptance. huge congrats to you, and hopefully more success to come!!

Txc just recommended this thread to me after creating my own thread needing success stories and congratulations!! I am still working on my success story but I know it can be done! I kind of skimmed the thread but did you end up applying with the 27 MCAT or did you retake it?

Also, now you can officially change your status from pre-med to medical student!!

Txc just recommended this thread to me after creating my own thread needing success stories and congratulations!! I am still working on my success story but I know it can be done! I kind of skimmed the thread but did you end up applying with the 27 MCAT or did you retake it?

Also, now you can officially change your status from pre-med to medical student!!

haha that's so awesome that people recommend it! :) and yes you best believe you can do the same. I did keep my 27 and apply out, and most programs I've been to have flat out told me my experiences and life story set me apart, so don't discredit the importance of those parts of your app! with hard work you too can do it.

you also just totally blew my mind with the "pre-med to med student" line :p

EDIT: posted some advice on your thread, hope it helps a little. best of luck along your journey!

Last edited:
Figured I at least owed you guys an update despite me being extremely down about this whole process lately...

I've attended 8 MD interviews. I figured with those odds I should at least get into one, right? Well, so far I'm at 6 wait lists (or wait list equivalents) with ZERO acceptances. still waiting on two more decisions (one being from my lifetime dream school), but suddenly not feeling too hopeful.

Looks like I might have been foolish to think I could overcome all of my horrible past on the MD front. I got in touch with three of my interviewers, and they all assured me I got sparkling post-interview reviews, so their guess was it must have came down to my stats and the committee felt apprehensive.

I am praying every day for one of the last two (particularly my dream), and if they go the same as the others, then ill move my prayers on to getting off a wait list. I am still very grateful for my DO acceptance (with one more DO decision on the way).

Wish I could just give you guys (and myself!) the "happily ever after" ending I always dreamed of, but the odds aren't looking spectacular at this time. No matter where I end up, I'll just do my best to make the most of the opportunity I am fortunate to have. I appreciate all of the support you've all shown me via PM and mentions though, no matter how this ends, I'll never forget it.

Reactions: 15 users
Figured I at least owed you guys an update despite me being extremely down about this whole process lately...

I've attended 8 MD interviews. I figured with those odds I should at least get into one, right? Well, so far I'm at 6 wait lists (or wait list equivalents) with ZERO acceptances. still waiting on two more decisions (one being from my lifetime dream school), but suddenly not feeling too hopeful.

Looks like I might have been foolish to think I could overcome all of my horrible past on the MD front. I got in touch with three of my interviewers, and they all assured me I got sparkling post-interview reviews, so their guess was it must have came down to my stats and the committee felt apprehensive.

I am praying every day for one of the last two (particularly my dream), and if they go the same as the others, then ill move my prayers on to getting off a wait list. I am still very grateful for my DO acceptance (with one more DO decision on the way).

Wish I could just give you guys (and myself!) the "happily ever after" ending I always dreamed of, but the odds aren't looking spectacular at this time. No matter where I end up, I'll just do my best to make the most of the opportunity I am fortunate to have. I appreciate all of the support you've all shown me via PM and mentions though, no matter how this ends, I'll never forget it.

Stay strong, I think they'll be a lot of waitlist movement at some of the places you've been waitlisted at!

Stay strong, I think they'll be a lot of waitlist movement at some of the places you've been waitlisted at!

haha I'm trying! thank you for the bit of reassurance. here's to hoping you're right!

Wow this is legitimately inspiring. I'm going through something somewhat similar, and was able to rebound from about 2.5 cGPA to 3.27, 31 MCAT. Congratulations on your acceptance! You're going to be a doctor!

I found this from your signature in the NYITCOM thread. I gotta say, this is an amazing story and I really hope to see you in the class of 2019 (I am also pending post-interview). You got this, remember how far you have come.

With 6 waitlists, you will definitely get one MD acceptance! I am waitlisted at all my top choices too, but fortunately my schools have historically tremendous amounts of waitlist movement. Good luck to you!

Inspiring brotha, hope to join the ranks with you one day. Thanks fellow lax brah

I was trying to explain to my brother-in-law, as great as a person's story is, in this system you aren't there until you are there. I am really happy for you that you are waitlisted so many places, and I believe you will get off the waitlist and into a class at one school or another! I can understand the frustration though. Nothing is harder then waiting for a future when you don't know if it will ever arrive. I am still waiting to find out if I will have a chance, and I only got one interview in the end. We need to keep the faith that we will make it. If nothing else for all the people still fighting towards their goals who need someone to believe in and inspire hope! It isn't over until it is over and I believe you will make it to an excellent MD school if that is really what you want!

I was trying to explain to my brother-in-law, as great as a person's story is, in this system you aren't there until you are there. I am really happy for you that you are waitlisted so many places, and I believe you will get off the waitlist and into a class at one school or another! I can understand the frustration though. Nothing is harder then waiting for a future when you don't know if it will ever arrive. I am still waiting to find out if I will have a chance, and I only got one interview in the end. We need to keep the faith that we will make it. If nothing else for all the people still fighting towards their goals who need someone to believe in and inspire hope! It isn't over until it is over and I believe you will make it to an excellent MD school if that is really what you want!

your encouraging words have really inspired me to remain positive this cycle. I can tell you're a great person and I truly wish the best for you. with that attitude I have no doubt in my mind that you will succeed at this process. just don't give up until you get there!

your encouraging words have really inspired me to remain positive this cycle. I can tell you're a great person and I truly wish the best for you. with that attitude I have no doubt in my mind that you will succeed at this process. just don't give up until you get there!
Dr. Lax! Heard about that Stony Brook program on some of your posts. I've been following this thread pretty intently. Best of luck, I'm rooting for you for some love from my state, Vermont!

Awesome story! Congrats on your success! Definitely report back if you get any MD waitlist movement.

Awesome read, just found this and best wishes for the future!

I'm sitting in this ER right now at work shaking and teary eyed. I'm almost in disbelief of the email I just received.

it has been such a long road. countless nights of studying without knowing if it'd ever pay off, working full time hours to fund classes to boost my grades and to pay for apps. so much effort and sacrifice for something everyone told me was impossible. but it just became possible...

I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED TO A US MD PROGRAM! I still can't believe it. I'm so happy and grateful right now. words couldn't even come close to describing what I feel at this moment. I will be forever grateful to them for giving me a shot, and i will work as hard as I can to make them proud. I'm just so happy, and I'll never forget the love and support you've all shown me throughout my journey. from the bottom of my heart, I say thank you to all of you!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 78 users
I'm sitting in this ER right now at work shaking and teary eyed. I'm almost in disbelief of the email I just received.

it has been such a long road. countless nights of studying without knowing if it'd ever pay off, working full time hours to fund classes to boost my grades and to pay for apps. so much effort and sacrifice for something everyone told me was impossible. but it just became possible...

I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED TO A US MD PROGRAM! I still can't believe it. I'm so happy and grateful right now. words couldn't even come close to describing what I feel at this moment. I will be forever grateful to NYMC for giving me a shot, and i will work as hard as I can to make them proud. I'm just so happy, and I'll never forget the love and support you've all showed me through my journey. from the bottom of my heart, I say thank you to all of you!!!!!!
Yay!!!! So happy for you! Congratulations!!!!

Damnnnnnnnnn!!!!! Congratulations!!

Congrats!

Calling all fans of this thread: Get in here and party!

honestly Catalystik, you've been such a big help to me over the years. not sure Id be here without the guidance I've received from you and the rest of the SDN community. so appreciative!!

I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED TO A US MD PROGRAM! I still can't believe it. I'm so happy and grateful right now. words couldn't even come close to describing what I feel at this moment. I will be forever grateful to NYMC for giving me a shot, and i will work as hard as I can to make them proud. I'm just so happy, and I'll never forget the love and support you've all shown me through my journey. from the bottom of my heart, I say thank you to all of you!!!!!!
I literally SCREAMED!!! I freaking KNEW YOU WOULD MAKE IT BRO!!! I knew it I knew it!! PATIENCE AND FAITH IS EVERYTHING!!!! Man I'm sooooo happy for you, you have no idea!

Reactions: 5 users
I literally SCREAMED!!! I freaking KNEW YOU WOULD MAKE IT BRO!!! I knew it I knew it!! PATIENCE AND FAITH IS EVERYTHING!!!! Man I'm sooooo happy for you, you have no idea!

hahahaha thanks so much!! I was just telling @f4reignbeauty how you guys have been my "shoulders to cry on" this year LOL. can't thank you guys enough seriously. so grateful to you all for putting up with me hahah!

Dude, continue to share your story! I'm so proud!

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations! I remember finding this thread over a year ago and then seeing it pop up again every few months in the cycle. What a legacy you've documented here. Three and a half years of hard work to culminate into that sought after US MD. You are living the dream, take it all in and enjoy the relief - you've certainly earned it. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Next stop a residency in some sub-surgical specialities, optho, derm, or some other insanely difficult to attain field :)

I've had a stretch of bad news regarding decisions lately, and you guys keep me going. trying to stay patient and positive, it's just difficult. I can't thank you guys enough for all of the support.

Just out of curiously, could you list the MD & DO schools you've applied to?

Thanks