Doctors grow new jaw bone in man's back

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UBTom

Class '04 official geezer
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting news article for those of us who are into OMS and/or research:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=7&u=/ap/20040827/ap_on_he_me/engineered_bones

Pretty cool... Though I think if this sort of procedure becomes popular it'd probably cost two other body parts (arm & leg).. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Proof that stem cell science is slowly and surely making contributions.
Bush is an idiot, beholden to right wing religious nutjobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
UBTom said:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=7&u=/ap/20040827/ap_on_he_me/engineered_bones

Pretty cool... Though I think if this sort of procedure becomes popular it'd probably cost two other body parts (arm & leg).. :D

Stem cell research...interesting topic. Apparently, umbilical cords provide a very rich source of stem cells and at some hospitals, they are being saved for possible future use in the case that the child has problems with one of their organs later in life or has some hematological disorders.

I think that stem cell research is particularly pertinent for those organs in which cells can no longer multiply once maturity is reached such as myocardial cells and neurons (however some neurons can sprout new axons-ie-neuroplasticity- when there is deafferentation/amputation of a given sensory area. This can be observed at various levels of the CNS neural pathways and particularly in the somatosensory cortex- which is a whole long story- actually part of my master's thesis from a few years back).

I think that it is quite possible that we will see the replacement of new human teeth using stem cells in our lifetime. I have heard of wisdom teeth buds replacing missing molars but I never actually saw a case personally. I don't think the success rate is too high. Not too long ago, I heard of a study in which new teeth were grown in vitro using stem cells. I don't remember what the source of the stem cells were but I do know that a lot of research on tooth growth is being done on rodents as their teeth continously grow during their lifetime which is compensated by gradual wear down.

Will people still be interested in seeing dentists if new teeth can be grown with stem cells someday? :eek:

UBTom said:

Another aspect which is related to stem cell research is that of growth factors. Bone Morphogenic Proteins ( BMPs) , are growth factors that are receiving a lot of attention these days- this obviously will be important for periodontal research (growth of new bone).

It's incredible how fast things have progressed in the biological/health fields in the last 100 years...vaccines, antibiotics, genetics, etc. Given all the access to information scientists have as well as the new molecular techniques available...God knows what will happen in the field of health sciences in the next 25 years!!!!