Documenting all sus interview questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Martinale

Reaction score
Hey everyone! As interview season is rolling in I would love to hear all of the sus interview questions y'all are getting. I will start.... How many medical schools have you applied to? Is this your first interview? (not sure if these are common questions but seems inappropriate to ask)

Members don't see this ad.

Lol I actually love this. I interviewed two years ago. Fave question was when they asked about my 6yr old speeding ticket (wherein I was going <10 mph over). It was technically a misdemeanor in the state that I got it in, so I had to report it. No reckless driving or anything- I just was distracted to figure out how to get on the interstate and missed the sign that said the speed limit was decreasing.

The interviewer looked a little uncomfortable asking about it, and there was precedent for humor, so I joked a bit about the fact that they were asking me about it (in order to defuse the tension).

Found out later that they noted that I was "opinionated." Maybe that was why.

After looking again at your examples, I guess this isn't really sus. As a woman, being called opinionated did rub me the wrong way a bit, though.

I was asked weird questions like this, but nothing that truly overstepped a boundary. Sorry you had to go through that, OP.

Sorry for all the edits, I just did several hundred anki cards and my brain is actually melting.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Had an extremely strange interview experience last cycle at a NY medical school. Asked me which news network I watch, my political party, and how I felt about the Taliban taking over Afghanistan. Gave me an ethical scenario about a Muslim woman being prohibited from speaking to her physician due to her husband stating that she could not speak for herself. I'm a Muslim btw. Probably should have reported the interviewer...

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Had an extremely strange interview experience last cycle at a NY medical school. Asked me which news network I watch, my political party, and how I felt about the Taliban taking over Afghanistan. Gave me an ethical scenario about a Muslim woman being prohibited from speaking to her physician due to her husband stating that she could not speak for herself. I'm a Muslim btw. Probably should have reported the interviewer...
That's insane! and so inappropriate. Sorry that you had to go through that. Some of these institution are so blatantly racist and feel so entitled to make us as pre-meds needing to get into their medical school kind of feel obligated to answer any of their questions.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Lol I actually love this. I interviewed two years ago. Fave question was when they asked about my 6yr old speeding ticket (wherein I was going <10 mph over). It was technically a misdemeanor in the state that I got it in, so I had to report it. No reckless driving or anything- I just was distracted to figure out how to get on the interstate and missed the sign that said the speed limit was decreasing.

The interviewer looked a little uncomfortable asking about it, and there was precedent for humor, so I joked a bit about the fact that they were asking me about it (in order to defuse the tension).

After looking again at your examples, I guess this isn't really sus. As a woman, being called opinionated did rub me the wrong way a bit, though.

I was asked weird questions like this, but nothing that truly overstepped a boundary. Sorry you had to go through that, OP.

Sorry for all the edits, I just did several hundred anki cards and my brain is actually melting.
Wowwww!! that's pushing it I feel like it shouldn't have been that deep to them if they sent you an interview.

Wowwww!! that's pushing it I feel like it shouldn't have been that deep to them if they sent you an interview.
I honestly do not know what they were getting at with that question. I was still accepted off the waitlist, so I guess that my clearly extensive criminal record and clear character flaws weren't sufficient to keep me out lol.

Reactions: 2 users
I honestly do not know what they were getting at with that question. I was still accepted off the waitlist, so I guess that my clearly extensive criminal record and clear character flaws weren't sufficient to keep me out lol.
:rofl::rofl: they just wanted to make you sweat!

• Haha

Yeah, i think I’d report that

Reactions: 7 users
Not being a keyboard hero, but would have respectfully declined to answer the first questions. I know it must be tough in the hotseat though.

The second question is interesting though, would be interested to hear the full question if you can recall it.

Hm, I guess I would ask to you and everyone here: is being opinionated a bad thing? Perhaps they meant it as such, but wouldn't necessarily take it as a bad thing.

Bumping thread, am interested in hearing more stories!

Not being a keyboard hero, but would have respectfully declined to answer the first questions. I know it must be tough in the hotseat though.

The second question is interesting though, would be interested to hear the full question if you can recall it.

Hm, I guess I would ask to you and everyone here: is being opinionated a bad thing? Perhaps they meant it as such, but wouldn't necessarily take it as a bad thing.

Bumping thread, am interested in hearing more stories!
I'm honestly not sure, but I just felt that it was a really strange observation to make in an interview...the point of which is largely about sharing your experiences and views. Given that I feel like I'm too passive/complacent sometimes, I was honestly a little proud of being labeled "opinionated." It's all speculation obviously, but I also can't help but wonder if I would have received that same feedback if I were a man.

I also received feedback saying that I was nervous, and another saying that I seemed confident. For anyone who is terrified about coming across weird, I think that demonstrates how subjective interviews can be.

I also received feedback saying that I was nervous, and another saying that I seemed confident. For anyone who is terrified about coming across weird, I think that demonstrates how subjective interviews can be.
How subjective *all of life is*. I've had employees tell me I was the best boss, followed by others telling me I was the worst boss. You can't please everyone, and sometimes things are just out of your control.

I'm glad to see you got the acceptance somewhere though!

How subjective *all of life is*. I've had employees tell me I was the best boss, followed by others telling me I was the worst boss. You can't please everyone, and sometimes things are just out of your control.

I'm glad to see you got the acceptance somewhere though!
Thanks! Yep, I got accepted off the waitlist at that school, but opted to go elsewhere!

Is this your first interview? (not sure if these are common questions but seems inappropriate to ask)
From the other side, this comes across as just an ice breaker so the interviewer can assess how much apprehension you may have (or potentially explain why you appear so tense) and respond in a way to relax you. It's not intended to dig into your application's success, though I can see how it may be perceived that way.

An interviewer asked me if I have ever been implicitly biased and to name a specific circumstance where I have been.
This is not a "sus" question. As a physician, you must be aware of your biases and act to minimize them. Everyone has bias and it's dangerous to patients if a physician doesn't have enough maturity and introspection to acknowledge their own. If an interviewer has decided to ask this, they aren't looking to tear you down--they are looking for understanding of this in your response (and potentially how you handle uncomfortable conversations).

Reactions: 1 users