Does a recommendation letter for a Math class count as Science or Non-Science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldude26

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does a recommendation letter for a Math class count as Science or Non-Science?

Members don't see this ad.

If I understand your question, you mean a letter from a math professor? I would say that would be non-science as math usually isn't considered part of the science departments.

Members don't see this ad :)
but math is counted in the science gpa, which is really confusing me now..

If I understand your question, you mean a letter from a math professor? I would say that would be non-science as math usually isn't considered part of the science departments.

Here is Tufts requirement just as a frame of reference:
"One letter from a Biology professor and;
One letter from a second science professor - Biochemistry, Chemistry, Math or Physics"

So it would depend on the school but I think this sounds pretty standard.

I'm getting one from a biology professor and another one from an oceanography professor.

I had three letters: one from orgo, one from physics and one from calc. None of the schools I applied to ever mentioned anything, so I would say yes it is accepted as a science letter of recommendation.

I think USC said math =/= science.

Is Oceanography considered science?

Anyone catch WVU's letter requirements?

They want letters from Chemistry, Physics, and Biology professors. No ifs and buts!!

I contacted my Physics teacher (after 3.5 yrs) and he told me he would love to write me a letter, but he now resides in China and mail is heavily regulated there. I guess WVU is off the list for me...

Anyone catch WVU's letter requirements?

They want letters from Chemistry, Physics, and Biology professors. No ifs and buts!!

I contacted my Physics teacher (after 3.5 yrs) and he told me he would love to write me a letter, but he now resides in China and mail is heavily regulated there. I guess WVU is off the list for me...

I wouldn't give up that easily!!! Why don't you sign up for interfolio, then your professor can upload a letter electronically?

Would be a shame to give up on a school because of the postal regulations in China dont you think?

I wouldn't give up that easily!!! Why don't you sign up for interfolio, then your professor can upload a letter electronically?

Would be a shame to give up on a school because of the postal regulations in China dont you think?
China censors the internet too.