About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Does albumin affect bloodpressure?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by JP2740, Jun 10, 2010.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. JP2740

JP2740

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    and how?
  2. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才 Moderator

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Albumin will increase the oncotic pressure of blood. Because it stays in your vasculature for a while, it should draw extravascular fluid into your circulation, increasing your blood volume.

Increases in the volume of circulating blood increase venous return, and in turn increases cardiac output via the Frank-Starling relationship, increasing blood pressure (assuming stable systemic vascular resistance: mean arterial pressure is proportional to cardiac output * SVR).

This is probably beyond the scope of MCAT.
  3. PiBond

PiBond Call me Bond...PiBond

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    i would think so, based on the same idea that albumin establishes oncotic pressure. if you have more protein in your blood (by appreciable amounts) then you'll likely draw fluids from the tissues and thus increase your BP.

this is most likely beyond the scope of the MCAT and i have no idea what threshold would need to be reached to start drawing more fluid into the capillaries. if this were to happen, i would guess that it would occur at the end of a capillary bed where pressure is low

educated guess, at best
  4. PiBond

PiBond Call me Bond...PiBond

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    beat me to it lord jeebus
  5. Ahsan

Ahsan MCAT SLAYER

SDN 2+ Year Member
    THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I WANT TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!
    ahhhhh
    :(