Does anyone have great resources to learn the hormones on the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.TonySoprano

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to drill these hormones into my head, and I have many of them memorized, but in particular the female hormones give me difficulty.

Does anyone have any resources that have helped?

Members don't see this ad.

A mob boss should always have his sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I HIGHLY recommend you to make a chart like this

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/H/HormoneTable.html

I made one myself and I color coded the proteins, steroids, amino acids etc. Now I remember them based on that. You should also make flash cards and review them and make sure to pair up the ones that go together like Insulin/glucagon, PTH/Calcitonin.

As far as female/male sex hormones go a little mnemonic I like to remember is :

Female:
Theca Cells (LH)
Granulosa Cells (FSH)

Male:
Sertoli (FSH)
Leydig(LH)

Little things like that. You can also relate the cells that bind to LH as those that produce Progesterone and those that bind FSH as cells that produce estrogen/inhibin.

I HIGHLY recommend you to make a chart like this

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/H/HormoneTable.html

I made one myself and I color coded the proteins, steroids, amino acids etc. Now I remember them based on that. You should also make flash cards and review them and make sure to pair up the ones that go together like Insulin/glucagon, PTH/Calcitonin.

As far as female/male sex hormones go a little mnemonic I like to remember is :

Female:
Theca Cells (LH)
Granulosa Cells (FSH)

Male:
Sertoli (FSH)
Leydig(LH)

Little things like that. You can also relate the cells that bind to LH as those that produce Progesterone and those that bind FSH as cells that produce estrogen/inhibin.

I like that!

Yeah, the female hormones are tricky for me too.... not so much where they're secreted and what their effects are, but at what time they secreted and for what reasons... aka the menstrual cycle and follicular development.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like that!

Yeah, the female hormones are tricky for me too.... not so much where they're secreted and what their effects are, but at what time they secreted and for what reasons... aka the menstrual cycle and follicular development.

ahhh I wish I could help you there.. those I know just from personal experience =/
#femaleproblems.

Reactions: 1 users
you have two steps to follow:

First: translate the txt book paragraphs (that are about the hormones and glands) into a diagram.
Hint: take 3 colors: red for stimulates, black for inhibits, green for regulates. Then start hormone by horomone. Circle the name of the hormone and on top of it, write down where it is secreted. I would share with you the diagram that I did, but it contains french and english, which makes it unclear for those who don't speak french.

Second step: write all the names and abreviations in a small note book or a piece of paper and every day, read and test yourself, so that in the end you'll be very familiar with ACTH and all the abreviations.

Try it, and if it works for you, tell us.

I forgot something:

First: translate the txt book paragraphs (that are about the hormones and glands) into a diagram.
Hint: take 3 colors for the arrows: red for stimulates, black for inhibits, green for regulates. Then start hormone by horomone. Circle the name of the hormone and on top of it, write down where it is secreted. I would share with you the diagram that I did, but it contains french and english, which makes it unclear for those who don't speak french.

On top of each hormone(in the diagram), mark the gland that secretes it.

I like that!

For the time: http://apbrwww5.apsu.edu/thompsonj/.../Exam 5/female reproductive cycle diagram.jpg
For the reasons: I think, the important is the effects of these hormones, I don't see why you need to know the reasons or where you can find information about that.

I don't have target and function filled out because I made flashcards on paper out of those. But I think it would be great practice!! Also keep in mind that I took an upper division Endo class and so some of those are not necessarily needed for the MCAT. Nonetheless knowing them has helped me understand content on some BS passages so it's up to you :)