Does foreign MD trump local DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Happy

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an acquaintance who applied last year to several US MD, US DO, and international MD schools. He was accepted to the following schools by the end of the cycle:

1. Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine
2. Lincoln Memorial University- DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
3. SGU-Grenada
4. Saba
5. Ross
6. Spartan Health Sciences
7. Windsor
8. International American University
9. St James- St. Vincent Island
10. University of Queensland- Ochsner-Australia/US hybrid program

He chose SGU and is a current MD 1 student, he started in the Fall of 2014. My first reaction when I found out his choice was of surprise. I told him that if I was in his shoes, I would have picked US DO any day. He told me he chose SGU because he really wants a derm residency because of the cushy lifestyle and high salary. He knows that with DO discrimination, his chance of matching into an ACGME derm residency were low to none.

He also said that SGU is unlike a lot of other carib/international schools because a lot of SGU grads are current residency PDs so they will not discriminate against SGU grads for residency. He's confident he can secure high step scores, strong LORs etc as part of his ERAS app.

His opinion is that top tier international/Carib MD schools are better than US DO because they allow you to get an MD with no DO discrimination. He said only choose US DO if you don't get into SGU-Grenada or a Australian/European medical school like Lublin/Jagellionian/UQ/Flinders/USydney etc.

I think he made a wrong decision but I wanted to be sure so I figured I would ask people more knowledgeable than me. Is his opinion correct in any way?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have an acquaintance who applied last year to several US MD, US DO, and international MD schools. He was accepted to the following schools by the end of the cycle:

2. Les Moines University- DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
3. SGU-Grenada
4. Saba
5. Ross
7. Windsor

He chose SGU and is a current MD 1 student, he started in the Fall of 2014. My first reaction when I found out his choice was of surprise. I told him that if I was in his shoes, I would have picked US DO any day. He told me he chose SGU because he really wants a derm residency because of the cushy lifestyle and high salary. He knows that with DO discrimination, his chance of matching into an ACGME derm residency were low to none.

He also said that SGU is unlike a lot of other carib/international schools because a lot of SGU grads are current residency PDs so they will not discriminate against SGU grads for residency. He's confident he can secure high step scores, strong LORs etc as part of his ERAS app.

His opinion is that top tier international/Carib MD schools are better than US DO because they allow you to get an MD with no DO discrimination. He said only choose US DO if you don't get into SGU-Grenada or a Australian/European medical school like Lublin/Jagellionian/UQ/Flinders/USydney etc.

I think he made a wrong decision but I wanted to be sure so I figured I would ask people more knowledgeable than me.
What exactly are you looking for here? Just ammo to use when you guys argue?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
He should have done his research first.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
He's an idiot. Also, what exactly are you looking for here? Just ammo to use when you guys argue?

Life is too short to spend it arguing. No, I just want to expand my knowledge. He seems to be a smart guy and he firmly believes he made the right decision. I just want to hear some other opinions, that's all.

Life is too short to spend it arguing. No, I just want to expand my knowledge. He seems to be smart guy and he firmly believes he made the right decision. I just want to hear some other opinions, that's all.
I got ya, fair enough. Well, wouldn't you rather have facts instead of opinions? If so, just look up the matching outcomes.

Reactions: 1 users
He effed up. His chances of matching derm from the Caribbean are way lower than for any US DO graduate.

Reactions: 11 users
Of 380 ACGME PGY-2 Derm spots in 2014, USIMGs matched into 4 of them and DOs matched into 3 of them (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2014.pdf).

0 of them were SGU grads (http://postgrad.sgu.edu/ResidencyAppointmentDirectory.aspx?year=2014). I doubt that there was no SGU grad wanting to go into Derm.

There were 45 AOA PGY-2 Derm spots in 2014 (https://natmatch.com/aoairp/stats/2014prgstats.html). These spots will be moving towards ACGME accreditation between 2015 and 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
He's in for a rude awakening.

Reactions: 3 users
I personally know dozens of Caribbean grads, and all of them (except 1) are successfully practicing in the US. Some are even in top-notch specialities like interventional cardiology and GI. And some of the grads I know are recent grads-like within the last 5 years.

Why is there such a disconnect from what I see in real life and what I read on SDN regarding the success of Carribean medical students? Based on my personal observations, the Carrib-bashing maybe overblown on SDN. Much of the attrition rate at these schools might be better attributed to the quality of student and not the school itself. And I get that my observations are just anecdotal and all that, but I also see pretty compelling numbers thrown out by SGU and other good Carrib programs.

I personally know dozens of Caribbean grads, and all of them (except 1) are successfully practicing in the US. Some are even in top-notch specialities like interventional cardiology and GI. And some of the grads I know are recent grads-like within the last 5 years.

Why is there such a disconnect from what I see in real life and what I read on SDN regarding the success of Carribean medical students? Based on my personal observations, the Carrib-bashing maybe overblown on SDN. Much of the attrition rate at these schools might be better attributed to the quality of student and not the school itself. And I get that my observations are just anecdotal and all that, but I also see pretty compelling numbers thrown out by SGU and other good Carrib programs.

Is the quality of a student accepted by a school not indicative of the quality of that school?

Reactions: 1 user

I see statistics as puppets in a lot of situations. You can pull the strings and make them dance how you please.

Reactions: 10 users
Anyone who goes to medical school with a barely acceptable MCAT and GPA and has the derm or nothing mentality deserves what is probably going to happen next from my experience.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

You do have a point. Caribbean medical schools are notorious for accepting applicants with terrible stats, a lot of the schools don't even require the MCAT. Even top tier Carib schools like SGU are known for accepting applicants with 20 MCAT and 2.5 GPA, especially during their off peak entering class and especially if they can sucker the applicant into taking an additional semester (SGU Foundations) or the MPH program.

With the upcoming residency crunch and the massive recent increase in US DO and MD students, I wouldn't recommend offshore schools to anyone. However, I think SGU was a much more viable option say 10 or even 5 years ago for academically capable applicants.

Should have gone to Des Moines or Queensland...

Should have gone to Des Moines or Queensland...

What is your opinion of the Queensland-Ochsner program? 2 years of basic sciences in Brisbane, Australia followed by 2 years of clinicals in New Orleans. I wonder how residency PDs will view Australian medical grads?

3. SGU-Grenada
4. Saba
5. Ross
7. Windsor

I think he made a wrong decision but I wanted to be sure so I figured I would ask people more knowledgeable than me. Is his opinion correct in any way?
Your friend is a *****.

What is your opinion of the Queensland-Ochsner program? 2 years of basic sciences in Brisbane, Australia followed by 2 years of clinicals in New Orleans. I wonder how residency PDs will view Australian medical grads?

Better than Caribbean grads, for sure. Ochsner is the best hospital in the state of Louisiana per US News ranking, and a lot of the UQ program graduates have matched into residencies there. The main downside is the price. However, the Caribbean schools aren't cheap either!

Local DO will fare better in matching than IMG

3. SGU-Grenada
4. Saba
5. Ross
7. Windsor

criminy, I've never heard of this school.

I thought Windsor was an awful medical school?

My friend is doing an mph program now. her classmate is a grad from windsor. Has applied for residency during these last 3 years with no success. I do feel for ppl like her but then it's like..."really.. you couldn't have done research on your school before going and taking up huge debt. At the very least, you could have gone BIg 4."

OP, just wish your friend all the best

3. SGU-Grenada
4. Saba
5. Ross
7. Windsor

Lol

Reactions: 4 users
Advice for life: If someone charges you hundreds of thousands of dollars to leave the country you want to work in so you can work in the country you come from then you should run away.

Reactions: 7 users
Dated a girl in undergrad my junior year. Wanna know how we broke up?

Me: So you wanna go to medical school?
Her: Yeah! I really love surgery and kids, so pediatric surgery is what I am really looking at! (She had 200+ of shadowing ped surg alone at this point...)
Me: Oh really? So where are you going to apply next year?
Her: SGU, Ross, and Saba
Me: What? Why?
Her: It's so beautiful there and I can practice medicine in the U.S. when I graduate

And that's the day I broke up with a girl based on her stupidity.

For what it's worth, she's at a top 50 US MD school, so something good came out of it.

Her: Yeah! I really love surgery and kids, so pediatric surgery is what I am really looking at! (She had 200+ of shadowing ped surg alone at this point...)
Her: It's so beautiful there and I can practice medicine in the U.S. when I graduate

For what it's worth, she's at a top 50 US MD school, so something good came out of it.

She dumped you didn't she?

Reactions: 25 users
Don't statistics show that matching rates from US IMG and US DO are pretty similar? I'm not too sure but I would think based on the match, they are equivalent (IF you want an allo residency tho)

Don't statistics show that matching rates from US IMG and US DO are pretty similar? I'm not too sure but I would think based on the match, they are equivalent (IF you want an allo residency tho)
You can see the data in the link provided above: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2014.pdf However, bear in mind that this is the data for the NRMP and that many DOs would have obtained positions in the Osteopathic match which occurs before the Allo match. The overall DO first time match rate is higher than that for US-IMGs and the OPs friend is either a fool, ignorant or lying about why he chose SGU.

That's pretty mean. She's probably not stupid but was just misinformed.

I don't think most people claim that Caribbean grads won't be able to practice eventually. It's just the road to get there is often more difficult, costly and not supportive as an U.S. MD or DO school. Statistics also back that up when you look at match rates being lower. Med school and matching is already difficult enough, so I see no good reason why one would want to make the process more difficult by going to a Caribbean school.

Also, you mention the attrition rate being high due to the quality of students proves a point. Most US schools want their students to graduate and be successful so they only accept students that they think will graduate and are supportive of them during their 4 years. The fact that many Caribbean schools will accept anyone with a pulse is telling as to what one of their main concerns is...making money.

No, look at the matching outcomes document. You also have to remember that half of DOs match in to AOA residency, so overall your chances of matching as a DO are higher than American citizens from foreign schools.

Between MD and DO, 48 DOs matched derm last year, while only 4 IMGs matched derm. There were just over 12,600 IMGs vying for US positions, while there was something like 5,000 DOs applying for residencies. Basically, your friend messed up bad, real bad. His chances are so close to zero as to be nonexistent. He'll be lucky to match FP with the way the match is going to look in 2018.

Reading about OP's friend:

tumblr_m5p3fh3d9b1rn95k2o1_500.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Forget about derm, isnt it a lot riskier finding ANY residency from the Caribbean..

Okay not replying to everyone but there were other problems with the relationship. That was the beginning of an all-night fight over a lot of stuff.

EDIT: I broke up with her.

That guy looks like an elderly Hitler...

That guy is the legendary John Cleese. If you haven't done so, I highly recommend that you watch the "Fawlty Towers" TV show.

There is a saying "One who watches Fawlty Towers and lives till the age of 25 has lived a more enjoyable life than one who does not watch it and lives till the age of 75"

That guy is the legendary John Cleese. If you haven't done so, I highly recommend that you watch the "Fawlty Towers" TV show.

There is a saying "One who watches Fawlty Towers and lives till the age of 25 has lived a more enjoyable life than one who does not watch it and lives till the age of 75"
Probably more accessible would be Monty Python.

"Its just a flesh wound!"

You do have a point. Caribbean medical schools are notorious for accepting applicants with terrible stats, a lot of the schools don't even require the MCAT. Even top tier Carib schools like SGU are known for accepting applicants with 20 MCAT and 2.5 GPA, especially during their off peak entering class and especially if they can sucker the applicant into taking an additional semester (SGU Foundations) or the MPH program.

With the upcoming residency crunch and the massive recent increase in US DO and MD students, I wouldn't recommend offshore schools to anyone. However, I think SGU was a much more viable option say 10 or even 5 years ago for academically capable applicants.
Dont just throw out fake facts SGU average MCAT is 28 and this past yr got plenty of students in the low 30's

Dont just throw out fake facts SGU average MCAT is 28 and this past yr got plenty of students in the low 30's

If you read my post completely, you would have noticed that I specifically mentioned those numbers in connection with enrollment in off peak semesters (like starting in the Jan semester as opposed to the Aug semester when SGU is scrambling to fill up all its many many seats) and also with enrollment with the caveat of completing the SGU Foundations or SGU MPH course first. I never claimed that a 20 MCAT score and a 2.5 GPA was the average for incoming SGU students. I said that they are known for going that low, under certain conditions.

Also, I don't believe the numbers posted by SGU on their site, period.