Does Getting a B- In Directed Study look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mickeymouse93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
g

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your grade in one specific class isn't likely to matter very much, particularly if it's an A or a B (including a B-). Your overall GPA is going to be much more important, as will your overall psychology GPA.

I also don't see why the first year wouldn't "count;" you did the work, and you'll be able to list it on your CV. And if you have three strong letters from other folks who know you well, then I don't imagine not having one from the PI of that lab would hurt you.

I'd strongly recommend against blaming the grade on the professor if it's brought up at any point, though. No matter how you do it, odds are most folks are going to react negatively if you highlight anything other than your own contributions to the outcome.

Your grade in one specific class isn't likely to matter very much, particularly if it's an A or a B (including a B-). Your overall GPA is going to be much more important, as will your overall psychology GPA.

I also don't see why the first year wouldn't "count;" you did the work, and you'll be able to list it on your CV. And if you have three strong letters from other folks who know you well, then I don't imagine not having one from the PI of that lab would hurt you.

I'd strongly recommend against blaming the grade on the professor if it's brought up at any point, though. No matter how you do it, odds are most folks are going to react negatively if you highlight anything other than your own contributions to the outcome.
Thank you!