Does having non-dental research matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm a pre-dental student who will start dental school this coming fall. I have an opportunity to participate in a high-profile research project (non-dental related). Does having this on my CV matter for dental school and beyond? This will help me decide whether I will do this or not.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it would count for something. Not everything you do has to be dental related. This research would distinguish you from many other applicants and also show that you have other interests as well. It would make you a well rounded candidate in my opinion.

I think it would count for something. Not everything you do has to be dental related. This research would distinguish you from many other applicants and also show that you have other interests as well. It would make you a well rounded candidate in my opinion.
But if I am already accepted to dental school, would having the research paper on my CV still help?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a pre-dental student who will start dental school this coming fall. I have an opportunity to participate in a high-profile research project (non-dental related). Does having this on my CV matter for dental school and beyond? This will help me decide whether I will do this or not.

Thanks in advance.
OP, you should participate if adds value to your life/career goals--meaning, are you passionate about the research experience? Is research something you want to pursue after dental school? Is this a productive way to spend your time that makes sense for your life (i.e. do you have bills to pay/other pressures that your time would be better devoted to)?

I would avoid doing anything that is merely just a resume builder...potential employers can probably get a pretty good idea that your experience was just something you use to plump up your CV.

I am in the same spot. I am already accepted into dental school and starting to do research. The type of research doesn’t really matter. Getting a publication matters but so does the experience. I would take it and work hard over the summer to get your name on the publication but try to leave soon into dental school.

Overall I would continue it as long as it doesn’t adversely effect your performance. It’s good to have the research on your resume for residencies and if you want to go into academia.

I would like to hear other opinions though bc I am unsure whether research is really worth it when applying to residencies

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.