Does it look bad if clinical volunteering hours are split between different activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeathandTaxes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've volunteered in rehabilitation centers abroad for two summers (hundreds of hours), did 6 months of clinical research (This counts if I had direct contact with patients and did things like EKGs/Phlebotomy right?), and shadowed doctors across 5 specialties for 100+hours.

I'm planning on applying this June, but I'm worried that my clinical volunteering abroad might get discounted (because it's not U.S, and rehabilitation is different than a hospital), or that my clinical research experience is more "research" than clinical and also get discounted.

For this reason would it be helpful to get some additional volunteering at a local hospital before I apply? I can get about 50-70 hours before I apply in the summer, but I'm wondering whether I should try to find other clinical experiences as well if this isn't enough. So if I take on another clinical activity and get another 50-70 from that in the next 2-3 months, would that be okay or acceptable? Is it bad that these hospital hours are done over such a short time?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It would have been nicer if you shown dedication to a specific hospital, especially a position. You need an equilibrium between that and variety.

Don't worry about it now. Obtain more hours if you want, but it won't make a dramatic change.

I think more US hours would be helpful. I agree with your assessment but don't think it sounds like a make or break issue if the rest of your app is good. If your shadowing was US than it will help. Do you have non clinical US volunteering also? Is that your only research? You don't need to answer but it is the combination not any one thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've volunteered in rehabilitation centers abroad for two summers (hundreds of hours), did 6 months of clinical research (This counts if I had direct contact with patients and did things like EKGs/Phlebotomy right?), and shadowed doctors across 5 specialties for 100+hours.

I'm planning on applying this June, but I'm worried that my clinical volunteering abroad might get discounted (because it's not U.S, and rehabilitation is different than a hospital), or that my clinical research experience is more "research" than clinical and also get discounted.

For this reason would it be helpful to get some additional volunteering at a local hospital before I apply? I can get about 50-70 hours before I apply in the summer, but I'm wondering whether I should try to find other clinical experiences as well if this isn't enough. So if I take on another clinical activity and get another 50-70 from that in the next 2-3 months, would that be okay or acceptable? Is it bad that these hospital hours are done over such a short time?
I feel that more US clinical hours would be helpful. I don't feel the short timeframe will hurt you, considering you gained the international patient experience over a longer time and have research-based patient contact, too (hopefully in the US). I hope the Shadowing was done in the US, but if not, get that in too.

I think more US hours would be helpful. I agree with your assessment but don't think it sounds like a make or break issue if the rest of your app is good. If your shadowing was US than it will help. Do you have non clinical US volunteering also? Is that your only research? You don't need to answer but it is the combination not any one thing.

I have leadership roles in non-clinical volunteering throughout all 4 years of college! Also my shadowing was done in the U.S. as well!

Reactions: 1 users