Does it matter what Dental school you graduate from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anejad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether it matters which dental you school you graduate from?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. Just be good at what you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
it doesn't even matter if you go to dental school

It does matter in the sense that you get more clinical training for example in some schools or students from a certain school has a higher chance in specializing. Other than that, which school you got your dental degree from doesn't really matter. The most important thing is where you will feel the most comfortable, and where you can get the most out of your dental education.

Just make sure you go somewhere that gives a DDS and not a DMD.

toofache32 said:
Just make sure you go somewhere that gives a DDS and not a DMD.

Why? Is that real?

rockhound said:
Why? Is that real?

no he is kidding.

but in my opinion DMD just seems cooler. DDS just seems kinda dorky

Lidopaine82 said:
no he is kidding.

DDS has the word "surgery" in it which is for sure misleading and this is why I like it (hence the dorkyness)

As long as you are good in what you do, no one will care where you graduated from. Go where you fit in the most.

the best dental school is the school one graduates from :). Mine is USC

Reactions: 1 user
jokerjoe12 said:
the best dental school is the school one graduates from :). Mine is USC

so true (but maybe not USC)

jk joe ;)

Anejad said:
Does anyone know whether it matters which dental you school you graduate from?

You get two responses for this question. Those who go to more prestigious schools tell you "yes it does matter." Those who go to less prestigious schools tell you "no it doesn't matter." Truth is it matters. Top jobs and positions are usually filled by the graduates of prestigious programs. There are always exceptions but that is the norm :)

DrGeek said:
Truth is it matters. Top jobs and positions are usually filled by the graduates of prestigious programs. There are always exceptions but that is the norm :)
:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
DrGeek said:
You get two responses for this question. Those who go to more prestigious schools tell you "yes it does matter." Those who go to less prestigious schools tell you "no it doesn't matter." Truth is it matters. Top jobs and positions are usually filled by the graduates of prestigious programs. There are always exceptions but that is the norm :)

That is an interesting theory. I totally understand that a graduate from Harvard, Wharton, or Stanford Business Schools can go on to work for McKinsey, BCG, or any of the top Wall Street i-banking firms. Those are clearly "top jobs". The same applies for law school. And probably to a degree in medicine as well.

But what is a "top job" in dentistry? Do the "top" dental practices only come to recruit at the "prestigious" dental schools? If I graduate from a lesser known dental school, will the executives from these "top" dental jobs refuse to hire me?

DMD > DDS

recent poll done showed current dentists think that DMD gives them competitive edge over those with DDS. or so i heard from someone during my case interview. thats why they changed from DDS to DMD...

deejay said:
so true (but maybe not USC)

jk joe ;)

hehehe...you UCLA kids do half the procedures we do (USC) due to lack of patients. I've heard UCLA graduates need to get watched over their shoulders when working as associates due to the limited experience they've had.
No wonder UCLA seniors go straight to specilializing, they have no other choice :laugh: due to lack of skills

FIGHT ON!!

polarnut said:
DMD > DDS

recent poll done showed current dentists think that DMD gives them competitive edge over those with DDS. or so i heard from someone during my case interview. thats why they changed from DDS to DMD...

I like how these kind of statements are always made by people who have yet to start school. Pre-dents are the ONLY batch of people in the universe that thinks school matter. Predents are also douchebags. it's best not to listen to them. : )

Lidopaine82 said:
no he is kidding.

But as long as you're a dentist, you are a rockstar...right? I mean, I know I read that on here. :laugh:

INFNITE said:
It does matter in the sense that you get more clinical training for example in some schools or students from a certain school has a higher chance in specializing. Other than that, which school you got your dental degree from doesn't really matter. The most important thing is where you will feel the most comfortable, and where you can get the most out of your dental education.

what do you mean you have a higher chance in specializing? Can't you just specialize at the dental school you are in?
By the way Thank you so much for the feedback :)

phremius said:
I like how these kind of statements are always made by people who have yet to start school. Pre-dents are the ONLY batch of people in the universe that thinks school matter. Predents are also douchebags. it's best not to listen to them. : )

i was merely referring to what i heard during my interview. its sad you cant even comprehend simple post and digest it without feeling a mortifying need to make a derogatory comment. not surprisingly, you are a douchebag. thanks for trying, though. :love:

Anejad said:
what do you mean you have a higher chance in specializing? Can't you just specialize at the dental school you are in?
By the way Thank you so much for the feedback :)
if you want to specialize, you have to apply to different schools again. By higher chance in specializing, i mean some schools gear their education towards preparing students to specialize after they receive their DDS/DMD degree. For example, schools with stronger emphasis on didactics over clinical traditionally helps students score higher on NBDE I. I mean, if you work hard in any school, you can get into specialty programs, but some schools prepare you better in certain aspects than other schools. This is why some schools traditionally has higher percentage of students go on to specialize comparing to other schools which traditionally has higher percentage of students who go on to GP.

It really matters most how happy you are attending a dental school...that will be a large determinant of how well you do. I don't think dental school prestige is that much of a factor in the long run, I know a few guys who went to Harvard for their DMD and are specializing here at UF. People bounce around everywhere, and the truth is, when you start a practice, not many will give a rat's "tail" where you went to school.

ncalcate said:
That is an interesting theory. I totally understand that a graduate from Harvard, Wharton, or Stanford Business Schools can go on to work for McKinsey, BCG, or any of the top Wall Street i-banking firms. Those are clearly "top jobs". The same applies for law school. And probably to a degree in medicine as well.

But what is a "top job" in dentistry? Do the "top" dental practices only come to recruit at the "prestigious" dental schools? If I graduate from a lesser known dental school, will the executives from these "top" dental jobs refuse to hire me?

ok, pick the least prestigious school.

it doesnt matter what school you go to... if you cant join a big practice with dentists that are old enough to be your parents.... BUILD YOUR OWN!

rockhound said:
Why? Is that real?

No, he's joking. although many of his posts are funny, it seems like there are a few sdn'ers, who are supposedly busy residents, yet like to instigate very sarcastic posts. in fact, they've played up the dds vs. dmd thing a number of times. i guess to them it gets funnier each time. you know how some jokes are not funny any more, yet some people still find it funny. ya like that. bennet brower signing out.
oh, by the way, no difference whatsoever between dds and dmd.

TeethVader said:
hehehe...you UCLA kids do half the procedures we do (USC) due to lack of patients. I've heard UCLA graduates need to get watched over their shoulders when working as associates due to the limited experience they've had.
No wonder UCLA seniors go straight to specilializing, they have no other choice :laugh: due to lack of skills

FIGHT ON!!

so THATs the reason they specialize, I always wondered why...

didn't mean to offend you buddy, Joe's in my research lab and we've been teasing each other for years... nothing against USC :oops:

S Files said:
No, he's joking. although many of his posts are funny, it seems like there are a few sdn'ers, who are supposedly busy residents, yet like to instigate very sarcastic posts. in fact, they've played up the dds vs. dmd thing a number of times. i guess to them it gets funnier each time. you know how some jokes are not funny any more, yet some people still find it funny. ya like that. bennet brower signing out.
oh, by the way, no difference whatsoever between dds and dmd.

I wouldnt say that the joke gets funnier every time...the only thing that is funny is that people still ask that question. If anyone has done any research, whatsoever into dentistry, that answer is loud and clear.

deejay said:
so THATs the reason they specialize, I always wondered why...

didn't mean to offend you buddy, Joe's in my research lab and we've been teasing each other for years... nothing against USC :oops:

Ok! joke accepted...I guess lack of confidence might be one of the many reasons bruins go into specializing and I don't blame you guys

TeethVader said:
Ok! joke accepted...I guess lack of confidence might be one of the many reasons bruins go into specializing and I don't blame you guys

woah! ZING! :oops:

lack of confidence or maybe strong confidence in future success in a specialty program. :idea: But who knows...