Does it matter what your science LOR writer teaches? (Ecology professor)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of asking a Biology professor who taught me in Ecology for one of my science LORs. So long as it is a science, does it matter what kind? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am thinking of asking a Biology professor who taught me in Ecology for one of my science LORs. So long as it is a science, does it matter what kind? Thanks!
while this is true At the vast majority of medical schools there is at least one CWRU, That has specific List of which subjects will be accepted as science and notes ecology Notes ecology as not acceptable. However this is the only school that I know of that has these restrictions. And as I advise all students, Always attach the AAMC letter writers guide when requesting a letter from your writer. In your request always note you are looking for a strong letter of evaluation / recommendation, the letter should be on letterhead, with the current date as well as a signature. Many schools will not take a letter without letterhead or signature. I also advise students to note a date when you need the letter by but to give your professor at least three months and make sure that you do a monthly reminder.

We will accept letters from instructors or advisors in the disciplines of:
  • Life Sciences (Biology, Zoology, Human Biology, Physiology, Microbiology, Immunology, Neuroscience, etc.)
  • Physical Sciences (Physics & Chemistry)
  • Mathematics (Calculus, Statistics, Biostatistics)
  • Engineering Sciences (Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, etc.)
  • Exercise Science or Physiology
  • Nursing
We will not accept letters from Psychology, Earth Sciences (Geology, Ecology, Oceanography, and Botany), and Computer Sciences as satisfying the science letters requirement but are acceptable as additional letters of recommendation.

Reactions: 1 users
while this is true At the vast majority of medical schools there is at least one CWRU, That has specific List of which subjects will be accepted as science and notes ecology Notes ecology as not acceptable. However this is the only school that I know of that has these restrictions. And as I advise all students, Always attach the AAMC letter writers guide when requesting a letter from your writer. In your request always note you are looking for a strong letter of evaluation / recommendation, the letter should be on letterhead, with the current date as well as a signature. Many schools will not take a letter without letterhead or signature. I also advise students to note a date when you need the letter by but to give your professor at least three months and make sure that you do a monthly reminder.

• Life Sciences (Biology, Zoology, Human Biology, Physiology, Microbiology, Immunology, Neuroscience, etc.)
  • Engineering Sciences (Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, etc.)
  • Nursing
We will not accept letters from Psychology, Earth Sciences (Geology, Ecology, Oceanography, and Botany), and Computer Sciences as satisfying the science letters requirement but are acceptable as additional letters of recommendation.

Thank you fellow early riser! I have a follow-up question. Is it too forward to phrase it, "Do you feel you can write me a strong letter of rec?" when asking for them? I don't want to imply that they have time for that because they might not. I am not sure of a better way to say it though.

Thank you fellow early riser! I have a follow-up question. Is it too forward to phrase it, "Do you feel you can write me a strong letter of rec?" when asking for them? I don't want to imply that they have time for that because they might not. I am not sure of a better way to say it though.
No, You should write a professional confident request. part of being a professor Is in fact to do things like this. I’m always amazed how students are intimidated by their professors Like they wouldn’t give them the time of day.

Dear Professor Smith,

as a student in your course XXX in The Fall of 2022, Where I received a grade of A and my work with you in WHATEVER, Would like to respectfully request a letter of evaluation and strong recommendation in support of my application to medical school.

As you may recall I was (brief history of your interactions with the professor, the time frame, and the high notes/highlights of those interactions).

I have taken the liberty of attaching the letter writers guidelines provided by the medical school application service. This will provide An outline and template for what information about me the schools are looking for. Please note that the letter must be on official letterhead either from the college or from your office/lab, include the current date, and must include a signature.

The letter should be uploaded to either interfolio or Directly through the AMCAS Letter system. It should be submitted no later than June 15th 2023. If you have any questions about the letter or If you need any assistance in uploading it please feel free to contact me at email address or cell phone number.

Thank you very much for your time and attention as well as your support in my future education.

By the way as a Prospective Physician don’t make assumptions and draw conclusions such as simply the time my post was written infers I’m an early riser. I could be suffering chronic back pain that keeps me up all night and I’m only finally going to sleep when the sun rises. Or I could be an ex-Marine who thinks waking up past 4:30 AM means you’re wasting the day.

Reactions: 1 user

• Nursing
Very interesting that they accept math but not ecology for science LORs