Does it REALLY matter where you go to school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bcruize

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it Really matter which med school you goto?
I have asked tons of docs if they think it matters and the ones that I respect say no. They think the school gives u a start and the rest is up to you, and I don't want to do research- so I don't think it really matters. Ask friends- NOT PREMEDS- if they know where their doctor went to med school- 10 bucks says they don't know- and don't care
what do u think?

Members don't see this ad.

yep... agree

Do a search, this topic has been argued many times over.

Members don't see this ad :)
bcruize said:
Ask friends- NOT PREMEDS- if they know where their doctor went to med school- 10 bucks says they don't know- and don't care
I don't really care where my primary care doc went to school, but I bet someone who's about to go under the knife to get a life-threatening brain tumor removed might be a bit more interested.

TheProwler said:
I don't really care where my primary care doc went to school, but I bet someone who's about to go under the knife to get a life-threatening brain tumor removed might be a bit more interested.

Actually, I'd be more interested in where he did his residency, the reputation of the hospital he was currently with, and how many times he had done this exact surgery/with what results.

Interestingly enough, my husband always asks his doctors where they graduated from. It's a little odd to me, because he rarely knows anything about the school the doctor names and it doesn't affect whether he stays with the doctor or not. I just don't see the point in asking a 60 year old urgent care doctor where he went to school back in the day. Do other people do this? :confused: