Does Nontraditional pod Applicants have an Advantage/Disadvantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kawi609

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any advantages or disadvantages for being a nontraditional pods applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not necessarily.

If being a non-trad helped YOU specifically (made your app stronger, developed better skills to overcome a weakness, matured more), it will likely help your application and interview process.
You have to remember, most students coming straight out of college can have the same or better numbers than non-traditionals. So while it may have helped the non-traditioner to take a year off or come from another major, your competition isn't any easier.

I asked an adcom at one of the pod schools whether they typically see students who go straight in from undergrad or older/graduate students.

They said for their school specifically, majority of matriculants were coming straight from undergrad.

Are there any advantages or disadvantages for being a nontraditional pods applicant?

I don't think it's a big disadvantage. I am a non-traditional student as technically as I took time off after undergrad to teach and live in Taiwan. We have quite a few non-traditional students in our class as well including a European MD / PhD gastroenterologist.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's a big disadvantage. I am a non-traditional student as technically as I took time off after undergrad to teach and live in Taiwan. We have quite a few non-traditional students in our class as well including a European MD / PhD gastroenterologist.

European MD/PhD gastroenterologist......whale dam o.o

European MD/PhD gastroenterologist......whale dam o.o

Yeah, no kidding. She gets a lot of special treatment though. Pretty sure she gets to skip the first semester until Lower Anatomy starts.

you have to sell yourself differently if you are "non traditional" is all. remember ur biggest advantage over a traditional straight from undergrad student is experience.